Do You Keep Lights On All Night?

Pepsi

Premium Member
Reaction score
I mean keep your Christmas tree lights on all night while you sleep?

I don't but I know people who do. I don't think it safe because it can cause a fire. How about you?

It really depends on what kind of lights, today x mas tree lights are much cooler and safer. I would understand if it is old fashioned light bulbs which can get hotter and has higher voltage rating comparing to LED which is far much cooler and draws minimal energy and use ultra low voltage (3 volts most). I could leave it on 24/7 if I want to.

I mean keep your Christmas tree lights on all night while you sleep?

I don't but I know people who do. I don't think it safe because it can cause a fire. How about you?

It really depends on what kind of lights, today x mas tree lights are much cooler and safer. I would understand if it is old fashioned light bulbs which can get hotter and has higher voltage rating comparing to LED which is far much cooler and draws minimal energy and use ultra low voltage (3 volts most). I could leave it on 24/7 if I want to.

Yep, I agree but I still don't trust trees that much and the reason is that around Christmas time each year when there is a fire the number one cause is a Chritmas tree.

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I907/UCID1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

I usually turn them off when I go to bed.

We turn them off every night before we go to sleep but we forgot to turn them off last night..ugh. We all fell asleep on the couch and I woke up at 4 AM to see the lights still on so I went to turn them off. My neighbors leave their outdoor Christmas lights on all night every night. I dunno if that is safe with all the melting snow.

Granted; now a question: Is it possible for today's "safer" lights to have a short somewhere along the line?

Why leave it on all night long? What a waste of money.

Why leave it on all night long? What a waste of money.

Hahaha, tell that to some people who have lights on EVERY part of their house all night and every night for 1-2 months and end up with a few thousands on their bill...do they complain? Nope, they continue to add more and more. I don't know where they get all that money.

Lol, call me old-fashioned but it irks me to no end when lights, Christmas or otherwise, are burning in an empty room!

I lit a tree on fire out in the driveway after Christmas was over once. I was shocked at how that thing flared - in about 30 seconds every needle on that thing was burned off and the fire was so hot I had to stand way back, then it went out leaving a blackened looking tree with no needles. All it took was a flick of the Bic.

Almost all new light strings requres to have small rated fuse inside the plug to prevent overheat and short circuit. If it was modified or manipulated then it will stand risk of fire.

Granted; now a question: Is it possible for today's "safer" lights to have a short somewhere along the line?

We turn ours off when we go to bed. Safer :) Anyway if we did, I would turn them off,I'm mildly obsessive about safety things

Did you know that a string of 25 LED x mas tree draws less than 2 watts, that is far less than ordinary night light. Cost a thousands? Your must be joking, If these LED light stay lit 24 hours for a month, then it will cost only one tenth of a cent! So having 250 LED light may cost only a penny in a month. That is for average of 8 cents per Kilowatt in an hour.

Hahaha, tell that to some people who have lights on EVERY part of their house all night and every night for 1-2 months and end up with a few thousands on their bill...do they complain? Nope, they continue to add more and more. I don't know where they get all that money.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry TOUR: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just so you know, if the string of 25 LED lights were 2 watts, a 250 count being on 24/7 for 30 days (december). It would cost the home owner one hundred fifteen cents based on 8 cent per kilowatt.

I rather turn it off to play it safe each night. My xmas tree is real.

Same here.. I turn them off when I am gone and when I go to bed.. My tree is real. Loaded with pine sap and oil... Best to turn it off when No one is in the room to view them.. as well a Lit up Christmas tree at night in the windows also attracts robbers that are lurking to break in to steal presents.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry TOUR: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Babyblue said:
I rather turn it off to play it safe each night. My xmas tree is real.

Same here.. I turn them off when I am gone and when I go to bed.. My tree is real. Loaded with pine sap and oil... Best to turn it off when No one is in the room to view them.. as well a Lit up Christmas tree at night in the windows also attracts robbers that are lurking to break in to steal presents.

That's why you have a rabid dog in the room at nights.

Back