Do YoU have any issues or concerns?

MissTiramiSu

Reaction score
Hi all,
Too often there are research studies asking for the opinion of experts who are namely, professors, researchers, educators, etc. but the studies are missing one very important informant: US, the students and our thoughts and experiences!!!
Thus, I am currently writing a thesis asking deaf and hard of hearing adults, like myself, what issues and concerns they have based on their own experiences or observations of their peers in effort to strengthen deaf education and support for members of the deaf community.
I already have some issues of my own and from other people but I would like to know if there are other issues and concerns (I realize this is vague but I do not want to bias or direct your thinking to a particular area). If anyone is interested or have questions, please feel free to contact me! Your input would be very much appreciated otherwise, thanks for reading this and keep smiling :D

Ok?... what is your specific questions? i will be happy to answer if you want to know for your assignment or whatever you need.

Hi Lunz,
Thanks for your reply! Well I guess more specifically, I want to know if you are satisfied with your education (was it at a residential school or at a mainstreamed school?), satisfied with the services provided for the deaf community, etc. and if there are any improvements that you would like to see come in effect?

yeah.... i have only problem with tutors. They needs to provide more deaf tutors or hearing tutors (need to know sign lauguage very well) for work with deaf students. Some uneducated parent dont have their own awareness of the subject's about. (i.e., history, math and etc...)They couldnt help them. Some deaf students claimed that homeworks arent cleary and still complex for them to go through the stuff. And also Deaf students must signature their names on the list for available tutor services to help them between like 8 am to 2p, but problem is that interperter will show up for two days notice if deaf student requested first. i dont like it. you never know the homework will due by tomorrow and you will feel crazy and must finish by tomorrow. i think it should more flexible with the schedules so any interperter will appear when student is ready to listen and learn with tutors in anytime, not two day notice or more days. nah. it dont work for me.

Hi Shaunin!
It's good to see ya in here. I'm glad you asked about people's own experiences. It's a right place to ask!

I attended a school for the deaf in my sophomore year. Stayed there for a year and I'll tell you what I saw happened at the school. I didn't like it at all. Their education system was much different than my public school's. It was a lot slower, even worse when a math teacher absent for a week and we had to learn 2nd grade level works from a subtitute. No, I'm not extaggerating at all. It was very embarassing for me, and I was VERY upset about this. I was disappointed that the school won't provide SAT and ACT examinations I requested. The counselor was like, you don't need to do these at all, you need to take Gallaudet's special examination. I was like WTF? I was never ever interest in Gallaudet. Deaf students never heard of SAT and ACT exams. So, most of them graduated and ended up at either Gallaudet, NTID and or at work.
The school never give plenty opportunities for students to check out other colleges. I never see a courage come from teachers or counselors when a student wanted to check out other colleges besides Gally/NTID. That's really terrible....
I want to give every education opportunities to students, and let them see how BIG is real world out there. Let them have open options in majors and jobs. I want to give them courages and positive attitudes toward whatever they want to do and where ever they wish to go in the future.

I hope my answer to your question is important part to fill out in a report for your class! I'll be more than happy to answer to any of your questions, that if you have any questions!

OH, no. It is awful. Deaf people need quality of education. They don't need low grade level of education and teachers are no help. That sucks. I was interned at California School for the Deaf, Fremont since January 2003 (I will continue my internship at CSDF until May 2004). I have noticed that Deaf students have heard of ACT/SAT scores and have explored different colleges/universities beyond just Gally or NTID. Few of them go to NTID or Gally, most of them go to Ohlone College or local colleges.

I think that school you went to needs some improvements. It is so sad that Deaf students do not seek any excellent education.

PM me I am curious what school you went there during your sophomore year.

Hi all! Ya, I totally agree what you guys have written. I think that the deaf and hard of hearing students should be placed with academic expectations and be encouraged to strive for the best education, job, etc. at ANY school, not specific schools. And I definitely think that the services for the deaf and hard of hearing could always be improved and keep the improvements progressing so that there doesn't exist this all-to-common discrepancy among the deaf/hard of hearing and the hearing, etc. This is great, you guys, keep them coming! Wouldn't it be kewl to see one of these complaints annihilated in a couple of years?! that'd kick a#@!

Dear Lunz,

You could post a request for a deaf tutor on the following sites:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deaftutors/
http://groups.google.com/group/deaftutors/
http://groups.msn.com/deaftutors/

You can find more tutoring resources at my geocities website
with the following URLS:
http://www.geocities.com/rebaorton/Tutor.htm
http://www.geocities.com/rebaorton/deaftutors.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/WorkAsADeafTutor.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/DeafTutorLitRef.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/DeafTutorsFoundOnGoogleSearch.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/DeafTutorsFoundThroughOnlineGroups.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/DeafTutorsFoundOnInformationCom.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/DeafTutorsOnAllDeafCom.htm
http://www.geocities.com/marylee1717/InternationalDeafTutorSearch.htm
Cheers
Reba Orton
http://www.deafetutors.com
IDIC: Infinite Diversity
in Infinite Combinations

yeah.... i have only problem with tutors. They needs to provide more deaf tutors or hearing tutors (need to know sign lauguage very well) for work with deaf students. Some uneducated parent dont have their own awareness of the subject's about. (i.e., history, math and etc...)They couldnt help them. Some deaf students claimed that homeworks arent cleary and still complex for them to go through the stuff. And also Deaf students must signature their names on the list for available tutor services to help them between like 8 am to 2p, but problem is that interperter will show up for two days notice if deaf student requested first. i dont like it. you never know the homework will due by tomorrow and you will feel crazy and must finish by tomorrow. i think it should more flexible with the schedules so any interperter will appear when student is ready to listen and learn with tutors in anytime, not two day notice or more days. nah. it dont work for me.

It is woderfulthat you have chosen this topic for your thesis. As an advocate, I always recommend listening to the student regarding what accommodations are useful. It is unfortunate, indeed, that educational policy for deaf children is set from the ethnocentric viewpoint wof what a hearing person believes is best for a deaf person, rather than giving credence towhat the deaf themselves say about their experience. I applaud you for addressing the situation.

Hi,

i was reading your post and I wanted to say I'm so happy that you are writing something about this for your thesis. I'm a second year college student and I have gone through so many obstacle that still remains a problem for me. Like for the tutor program, I avoid going to the tutor because one, it's in a noisy classroom with other hearingstudents, and I need to have at least seventy-two hours to request an interpreter when the problem is my university already had one interpreter on their contract and was already on campus. They couldn't help me because they rush too fast wanting to avoid communicating with a deaf student or something. but the disability service want to hire interpreter that from one or two county away from where I am. in my opinion, the disability service is pretty lousy because they would hire an interpreter who is not fully qualified to interpreter at college level. I think they only look at how much cheaper they can hire someone from waaayyyy out of town who is like fresh out of school or something. I preferred to have an interpreter who is very fluent and fast enough to keep with the pace. I have to pick one of the option: to have an interpreter or tape recorder or notetaker. I'm not allowed to have two of either. I chose to have an interpreter but I'm barely able to understand their signing because of the slow pace and I'm even more frustrated. So the next semester, I'm changing to have a transcription instead and my listening device. The others are right, the disability service overlook the need of the deaf student and only look what they think it's best for us when they do not have the full knowledge or understanding of deaf in high education

That's all I got to say.:cool:

Hi,

i was reading your post and I wanted to say I'm so happy that you are writing something about this for your thesis. I'm a second year college student and I have gone through so many obstacle that still remains a problem for me. Like for the tutor program, I avoid going to the tutor because one, it's in a noisy classroom with other hearingstudents, and I need to have at least seventy-two hours to request an interpreter when the problem is my university already had one interpreter on their contract and was already on campus. They couldn't help me because they rush too fast wanting to avoid communicating with a deaf student or something. but the disability service want to hire interpreter that from one or two county away from where I am. in my opinion, the disability service is pretty lousy because they would hire an interpreter who is not fully qualified to interpreter at college level. I think they only look at how much cheaper they can hire someone from waaayyyy out of town who is like fresh out of school or something. I preferred to have an interpreter who is very fluent and fast enough to keep with the pace. I have to pick one of the option: to have an interpreter or tape recorder or notetaker. I'm not allowed to have two of either. I chose to have an interpreter but I'm barely able to understand their signing because of the slow pace and I'm even more frustrated. So the next semester, I'm changing to have a transcription instead and my listening device. The others are right, the disability service overlook the need of the deaf student and only look what they think it's best for us when they do not have the full knowledge or understanding of deaf in high education

Nice post but I wouldn't hold my breath; take a look at the date the creator posted this. Maybe we can just carry on without the creator.

Hi,

I am employed in the disability services office of a university. You are entitled to anything you need to access the curriulum. It is completley false that you cannot have a terp and a notetaker. I have several students who use both. It is a violation of the ADA to refuse you these services.

Get an IRB approval from your college. Set up Monkey Survey. post it here and on deaf Facebook groups like Deaf Thought Police DTP which I was kicked out....
Hi all,
Too often there are research studies asking for the opinion of experts who are namely, professors, researchers, educators, etc. but the studies are missing one very important informant: US, the students and our thoughts and experiences!!!
Thus, I am currently writing a thesis asking deaf and hard of hearing adults, like myself, what issues and concerns they have based on their own experiences or observations of their peers in effort to strengthen deaf education and support for members of the deaf community.
I already have some issues of my own and from other people but I would like to know if there are other issues and concerns (I realize this is vague but I do not want to bias or direct your thinking to a particular area). If anyone is interested or have questions, please feel free to contact me! Your input would be very much appreciated otherwise, thanks for reading this and keep smiling :D

Back