Do you have a gun or shooting question?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have a question about guns (types, collecting, purchasing, using, maintaining, safety) or shooting (techniques, safety, types), please feel free to post here.

Before I ask my first question, let me give some background information.

I'm almost 65 years old, petite woman, with Stage 2 Parkinson's Disease. I've been shooting for more than a few years. Until the last few years, I could fire a semi-auto handgun. Now, my hands are very weak, and I can no longer push or pull the slide the action to rack the gun. I can barely make it budge. I've tried the full-hand push, and the two-finger pull/slingshot techniques, and neither one works for me. Also, I can't properly load rounds into the magazine. So, I've switched to a 5-shot revolver. I enjoy shooting a revolver but they are limited in capacity, even with a speed loader.

Any tips?

http://adaptiveoutdoorsman.com/dihugunsu.html

I found this link , I am not sure if what you're looking for , have you asked a gun shop if they could order something for help you handle your gun easier. I know wounded vets go to shooting ranges so there has to be something for people with PD.
Interesting but not quite what I need. I was asking about using handguns, mostly in a concealed carry mode. This linked site is more for hunters using long guns. I can still use my long guns, with some effort.

Still, good to know about that site. :)

I've seen these but carrying or attaching extra equipment kind of negates the aspect of carrying concealed for self defense.

pistol slide devices

I do enjoy revolvers and have a few: SP101 DAO, GP 100 3", Colt Detective Special, S&W 686 & 586 4" - so I appreciate the simplicity of the gun. Just to throw this out there Reba, but have you ever tried a Glock? I have Generation 3 and 4 models and the one thing about them that always surprises me is how easy they are to rack compared to my Berettas and Sigs. I would say these are the most user friendly.

However, if these don't work for you, I'd suggest a 3" Ruger or Smith&Wesson. Let's face it, in most situations, you'll be hard pressed to justify emptying a semi in defense. Most fights in defensive situations would amount to two or three bullets - max. That said, you'd be well armed to have a revolver with a Meprolight front sight.

Laura

I do enjoy revolvers and have a few: SP101 DAO, GP 100 3", Colt Detective Special, S&W 686 & 586 4" - so I appreciate the simplicity of the gun. Just to throw this out there Reba, but have you ever tried a Glock? I have Generation 3 and 4 models and the one thing about them that always surprises me is how easy they are to rack compared to my Berettas and Sigs. I would say these are the most user friendly.

However, if these don't work for you, I'd suggest a 3" Ruger or Smith&Wesson. Let's face it, in most situations, you'll be hard pressed to justify emptying a semi in defense. Most fights in defensive situations would amount to two or three bullets - max. That said, you'd be well armed to have a revolver with a Meprolight front sight.

Laura
I have a Taurus .38 Special +P titanium hammerless revolver with Crimson Trace laser.

TCS has a Taurus .9 mm model 704, and Smith & Wesson M&P Shield .40 mm for concealed use. He also has an FN .380 semi-auto, and a Hi-Point .9mm.

The above are what I've tried.

Next time (hope this week) we go to the gun shop range, I'll see about trying out the ones you've suggested. We were there Thursday but we didn't get to use the range--there was a long line and a waiting list. Everyone wanted to get in before the long New Year's weekend. :lol:

I've used S&W pistols, and tried the Rugers too and I'm still amazed that the Glocks are so much easier to rack, which is probably one of many reasons why they're so popular with shooters. If you're looking for the ideal model, try and get your hands on the Glock 19. I also have the 17 and baby Glock 26 too, but if I could only keep one - it'd be the 19 which is just the best all around gun for defense and carry in my opinion.

Edit to add, I had a Walther P99 but quickly sold it as it was a bear to shoot for some reason so I'd avoid that brand. I do have a nice PPS but it takes some effort to rack - and that's probably true of most mouse guns. The great mystery of Glocks, for me, is how such a light weight gun is so comfortable to shoot. I typically avoid light weight guns after my experience with the P99 and the S&W 442 but the Glocks are just in a class by themselves....still, not as good looking as a stainless Italian Beretta though. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't recomend it except for emergencies but have you tried the one handed method where you press the front sight or front edge of slide against a table or heel of shoe? Takes little stregth as you can press your body into it.

It's best to let the muzzle slide off the surface and slam shut (not ride the slide closed) just be sure to twist it so you don't bump the front sight if you're doing it on a hard surface.

I don't owned guns or rifles but when I'm cleaning my dad's house my uncle found two rifles and unloading of rifles and also I'm found guns behind door of my dad's I'm showing my uncle I'm never point people or families of guns and rifles but my two uncles know how uploading of rifles and guns of shell..

But I'm not surprised my dad had rifles and guns

Take your gun to any gun shop and ask them to help you with regard to racking it. If you are still having troubles climb aboard the revolver bandwagon. My favorite is the Ruger LCR, lightweight with a very smooth trigger pull. Also, when shooting try to find something solid to rest against.

Before I ask my first question, let me give some background information.

I'm almost 65 years old, petite woman, with Stage 2 Parkinson's Disease. I've been shooting for more than a few years. Until the last few years, I could fire a semi-auto handgun. Now, my hands are very weak, and I can no longer push or pull the slide the action to rack the gun. I can barely make it budge. I've tried the full-hand push, and the two-finger pull/slingshot techniques, and neither one works for me. Also, I can't properly load rounds into the magazine. So, I've switched to a 5-shot revolver. I enjoy shooting a revolver but they are limited in capacity, even with a speed loader.

Any tips?
Reba, there are ways to rack the slide single handed, Ive tried this and its super easy... but dangerous as well.... I hook mine on my jean pocket, its lower and adds angle to the barrel away from my body as well. On the belt, if you have a leg out somewhat you can easily shoot yourself from what I have observed on the angle, so lower is better for me ( just my preference )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT4zJ-BfEM

Reba, there are ways to rack the slide single handed, Ive tried this and its super easy... but dangerous as well.... I hook mine on my jean pocket, its lower and adds angle to the barrel away from my body as well. On the belt, if you have a leg out somewhat you can easily shoot yourself from what I have observed on the angle, so lower is better for me ( just my preference )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT4zJ-BfEM

wow what the heck am I looking at? I'm in disbelief.

Are you trying to get rid of me?! :eek3:

:lol:
Never !!!!
Im surprised you didnt know? Its taught in tactical training, what if youre injured ( broken arm, shot in arm/hand ) you got to rack it somehow as you wont always have a sidekick to do it.... Jiro you didnt know this as well?
Take a tactical course ( one of the outdoor classes ) its fun, they dont recommend it either but its a life or death last ditch effort.... but can be used regulary if careful, very careful Reba.

Never !!!!
Im surprised you didnt know? Its taught in tactical training, what if youre injured ( broken arm, shot in arm/hand ) you got to rack it somehow as you wont always have a sidekick to do it.... Jiro you didnt know this as well?
Take a tactical course ( one of the outdoor classes ) its fun, they dont recommend it either but its a life or death last ditch effort.... but can be used regulary if careful, very careful Reba.

why would you expect me to know this? I'm not a SWAT cop or spec ops. I'm just a computer tough guy. :roll:

why would you expect me to know this? I'm not a SWAT cop or spec ops. I'm just a computer tough guy. :roll:
just figure you had a bit of extensive knowledge of firearms being your gun laws are stricter? Ive learned a lot from my military friends and some family over the years, and a few courses... pretty amazing stuff to get into
BUT I will never be as good as this kid....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY

interesting one-hand reload for revolver

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCSiTF53vuQ[/ame]

Back