Do you agree that cochlear implants pose a danger to...

Hermit of ozark said:
dont get me wrong, I am deaf myself. I just prefer hearing world. Deaf culture is full of backstabbing, dramas, and lot of other bullshits. I should get a shirt saying FUCK DEAF CULTURE.
If you ever get one, let me know where you got it so I can get it. :thumb:

To be honest, you're right... it is getting out of hand.

People in the deaf community in Australia are generally more accepting about people who have CI -- only a small handful aren't.
Well I have noticed that it's becoming more accepted here....I think maybe what happened is that a lot of Deafies took the advertising copy too literally...I remember early on the language used to promote CIs was almost promoting it as a cure. The language made it sound like dhh could hear ANYTHING with it, and it didn't need batteries or tune ups or whatever.
Now the language has gotten a lot more realistic as to it's capabilties.
I think also in a few years we'll see if CIs really have impacted the deaf community as much as the doomsayers have prophesied. Sure it has (and will) increase the numbers of kids with oral skills, but that's not to say that many of those kids won't pick up Sign as a second language. We still have to wait. According to Ling and other oral experts virtually all deaf kids could aquirre speech by hearing aids. Yet hearing aids didn't prevent deaf kids picking up Sign as a second language.
dont get me wrong, I am deaf myself. I just prefer hearing world. Deaf culture is full of backstabbing, dramas, and lot of other bullshits.
True, but you could say that about almost any culture or society. I like the hearing world, and am very glad to be a part of it, but at the same time I am not 100% a part of the hearing world and I probaly will never know what it would be like to be 100% Hearing. There are downsides and bad parts to almost every and any culture or society or community. Besides, when you say "Deaf culture" what do you mean by that? Do you mean the extremists who are anti-hearing world? I'll admit....the extremists are idoitic, but saying that the deaf world sucks b/c of them is like saying that the Christian World sucks b/c of Christian Idenity, or b/c the black world sucks b/c of people like Louie Farrkaran.

Sighing ..it is really getting to me about how folks think that getting a CI would ruin deaf culture.

I am STILL deaf despite my C.I.
I am STILL a member of the deaf community.
I STILL sign.

It is JUST a tool.

*getting off the soapbox*

Back