Do we actually want our deaf child to hear?

Do you want your deaf child to be able to hear?

• Yes

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters
Wirelessly posted

I will never wish for my children to be deaf. It was a fear of mine that they would be born deaf since I was born deaf. I thank goodness that they both ended up hearing. To hope or wish to have a deaf child is selfish.

If I had a deaf child, I wouldn't change anything. Just use ASL and try speech therapy. I would expose the child to both worlds though.

I see many deaf children thriving just fine. I never worried about having a deaf child or not. If I had deaf children, I would not be upset just like I wasn't upset to have hearing children.

I voted no, I always wanted a deaf child and I end up having two hearing children, I'm fine with it, I love them no matter what. If I do have a deaf child, I would not change anything in the world to my child, I would let my child be whoever he/she become. ;)

I can't understand why anyone would their child to be born deaf. I was so happy my baby was not HOH.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
If I had a deaf child, I wouldn't change anything. Just use ASL and try speech therapy. I would expose the child to both worlds though.

I see many deaf children thriving just fine. I never worried about having a deaf child or not. If I had deaf children, I would not be upset just like I wasn't upset to have hearing children.

I agree, I would not be devastated if they were deaf. I would expose them to both worlds. But I am not the type to "wish or hope" for my child to be deaf.

I can't understand why anyone would their child to be born deaf. I was so happy my baby was not HOH.

It depends on point of view. If you have a medical model point of view, then yea you will be upset but if the person has a cultural model point of view, nope that person wouldn't be upset. I have a cultural model point of view.

Wirelessly posted

I agree, I would not be devastated if they were deaf. I would expose them to both worlds. But I am not the type to "wish or hope" for my child to be deaf.

Then why is it selfish to wish for a deaf child?

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
whatdidyousay! said:

It depends on point of view. If you have a medical model point of view, then yea you will be upset but if the person has a cultural model point of view, nope that person wouldn't be upset. I have a cultural model point of view.

That is why I think it is selfish to hope for a deaf child. To keep up with the big "D" cultural status. That is about the only reason why they hope for deaf children.

Last edited:

There is a tremendous difference between not being upset that your child is born deaf and hoping that your child is born deaf.

the vote should include "Don't Care".

I don't care if my child is deaf or hearing. works fine with me either way. :cool2:

I would rather my child to be able to hear...then again, if my child was deaf, I could accept that also....Thinking back on the hard struggle I had myself....wouldn't it be so much easier if the child could hear?....

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:

There is a tremendous difference between not being upset that your child is born deaf and hoping that your child is born deaf.

Exactly, especially when a parent uses it for their own social status. Seems like they are hoping the child is deaf for their own personal gain. I never hoped for a boy or girl. I only hoped and wished for a healthy baby.

All I want is my kids to live long and happy. And give me grand kids cause they're just as good as your own kids but you don't have to take care of them when you don't feel like it :lol:

Wirelessly posted

That is why I think it is selfish to hope for a deaf child. To keep up with the big "D" cultural status. That is about the only reason why they hope for deaf children.

I guess I never gave it a second thought when some of my friends say they hope they have a boy or they hope they have a deaf child. to me, it is not a big deal as it is not my life. Doesn't bother me.

I would rather my child to be able to hear...then again, if my child was deaf, I could accept that also....Thinking back on the hard struggle I had myself....wouldn't it be so much easier if the child could hear?....

so agree with you rr...why would anyone wish their child deaf.
i had Downs child when she was little everyone thought how twee and pretty she was.. even had people say i was lucky..patronizing bastards..if i could wave magic wand i give her right chromasomes i cant so i accept situation but grieve for the woman she could have been
If baby could have operation which cure deafness yes i go for it but CI i have difficulty i rather wait until child had understanding for me i have difficulty with objective/subjective

If my baby had been born HOH I would not had been upset , I just saw no reason to wish I had a HOH child . I think that is rather selfish to wish on a baby .

If my baby had been born HOH I would not had been upset , I just saw no reason to wish I had a HOH child . I think that is rather selfish to wish on a baby .

I am pretty sure that is how most of us see it.

Back