Do I have a Processing Disorder or just mild loss?

Sara3502

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So anyways I'm getting confused on my hearing problems. First of all, I know I have some high range loss since I can't hear above 15 Hz. My friends can all hear well above this. But aside from that I believe my hearing is rather good, and in the normal hearing range. My problem is hearing with background noise. In any loud situation I find myself unable to hear or sometimes I can't understand what others are saying to me. To clarify about not understanding, I can hear them say things but it comes out in a big blurb of unintelligible nonsense. I will catch a word or two in there ,but then it's left to me to use cues to find out what they are talking about. I also have to focus really hard to listen. This situation occurs mostly in loud locations, like my school classes. Sometimes it shows up in normal occasions as well. If someone's mouth is covered in loud situations I do not know what they said as well. I cannot hear what people are saying to me if they're a room away as well. Can anyone help me decipher this information? I do not want to go to the Audiologist first because I don't want my parents to go to all the trouble if there is not that much of a problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as well as advice on what could correct this. Thank you!

If we had the ability to diagnosed people over the internet we would all be very rich. Could you lean in a little closer so I can see inside your ears better.

Sara,
I am experiencing the exact same situation, along with dizziness and roaring/ringing in my ears. Looking for an audiologist who specializes in CAPD........
Seems lie a good place to start. I think low gain aids will be our best bet as far as noninvasive strategies go. Good luck!

You're right, and i'm not looking for a diagnosis. I'm sorry if it seemed like I wanted a straight up answer, and I know this stuff can not be taken too lightly. Thank you for pointing this out. :)

Sara,
I am experiencing the exact same situation, along with dizziness and roaring/ringing in my ears. Looking for an audiologist who specializes in CAPD........
Seems lie a good place to start. I think low gain aids will be our best bet as far as noninvasive strategies go. Good luck!

Thanks! I hope you find an audiologist who can help you as well!

Hearing aids don't really go above 8 hz anyway. So I don't think what you are describing even counts as a hearing loss.

Yep hearing aids don't go above 8 hz or even 6 hz sometimes so you won't get anything from hearing aids anyway.

Hearing tests from audiologists only go up to 8 hz, or at least everyone I've had in 20 years, has only gone up to 8 hz.

If I understand it correctly, no speech is above 15 hz anyway that is why manufactures of hearing aids don't think about going above 8 hz or there abouts on their hearing aids.

What you describe is what my mom has trouble with and she's had APD all her life but as other people say, we can't diagnose you.

Hope you get some answers soon.

You say you don't want your parents to go through all the the trouble of an audiologist for hearing loss that "may not be that much trouble." I will tell you, an audiologist diagnoses APD AND hearing loss. Personally to me, it doesn't sound like hearing loss as the others said, 15hz is nooooooooooooooooot really hearing loss..... Either way, you need an appointment with an audiologist to be sure. They can knock both possibilities out of the park for you, or help you find out what it really may be if either isn't the issue.

Hello everyone! So anyways I'm getting confused on my hearing problems. First of all, I know I have some high range loss since I can't hear above 15 Hz. My friends can all hear well above this.

:laugh2: Sorry but what?

But aside from that I believe my hearing is rather good, and in the normal hearing range. My problem is hearing with background noise. In any loud situation I find myself unable to hear or sometimes I can't understand what others are saying to me. To clarify about not understanding, I can hear them say things but it comes out in a big blurb of unintelligible nonsense.

Even people with normal hearing have this problem in loud situations. If you have mild loss - that could require or allow the use of hearing aids - they would simply make the noises louder and uncomfortable most of the time.

I will catch a word or two in there ,but then it's left to me to use cues to find out what they are talking about. I also have to focus really hard to listen. This situation occurs mostly in loud locations, like my school classes.

Once again, people have already said it doesn't sound like hearing loss. APD is more of a possible candidate. I'm also going to repeat this again, some people still have this problem with normal hearing as well. Not understanding people talk could be a variety of different forms of hearing loss...not high frequency alone anyways.

Sometimes it shows up in normal occasions as well. If someone's mouth is covered in loud situations I do not know what they said as well. I cannot hear what people are saying to me if they're a room away as well.

I'm not going to repeat it again but I know people who are lightsleepers and have great hearing and wouldn't hear that either. I guess it just depends on how loud or quiet they are talking. If they're screaming at you to clean your room and you only hear the cleaning part...my mother called it selective hearing. You choose to hear what you want too. (And boy...she was right about that. I did that so often as a kid...:giggle:)

Can anyone help me decipher this information? I do not want to go to the Audiologist first because I don't want my parents to go to all the trouble if there is not that much of a problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as well as advice on what could correct this. Thank you!

:lol: So, you want all of us to figure it out? Going to the audiologist is not a big problem (until they try to sell you those damn $7000 pair of hearing aids that you know won't work for your loss...wait, wrong thread) and why make it seem like a trouble? People go to the dentist and eye doctor all the time but an audiologist is a trouble? Just go and see. It won't hurt to find out.

This doesn't sound like a mild loss and even if it was...hearing aids may not be an option. Plus, hearing aids don't correct sounds, they just amplify them. For APD there is nothing you can do to correct it.

Now I'm not trying to poke fun at you but simply go get your hearing checked out anyways. People should get it checked at least once every few years in their lives; mainly children so they can get accommodations for them in school so they can get the most at our their education.

Welcome to my world. :P
I have auditory processing disorder and that sounds just like me.
A hearing test can at least let you know where your hearing is at, and as part of the test (at least with me) they will add white noise in to see if your ability to pick up the words decreases with it.

welcome to my world LOL (I may look like I have that but my hearing tends to fluctuate every year ;) )

Back