Do deaf folks consider themselves disabled?

I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!
It sounds like your theater has two or three movies to show daily in your small town. What if it shows 20 movies daily as the theaters in many cities do? Does your booth have enough room for those 20 movie posters? How can you tell which one of 20 movies they point to? To tell you the truth, I never saw the mini-posters at every booths in LA area.

Yes I am still disabled because the employer would never provide an interpreter for my 8 HRS waiter or secretary job.

My wife applied for a secretary job but she was turned down because she can't answer phones. You talked to me like I am stupid so fuck you. You know no shit about anything like you think life is easy for deaf people. Oh my God! You know no shit at all!

REALLY????? I want to meet that deaf waiter. Where does he work? You dumb fuck! How does a customer tell a deaf waiter to hold onions? A restaurant owner would not allow it because he/she wants customers happy which is important to the business.

Wow! I am shocked at your language.

Crazy Paul I sent you an email please check it.

Remember to please watch language on the forum. Let this be a warning to everyone! Thank you

I'm profoundly deaf, use ASL, no speech....I work two years in high school at movie theatre selling tickets. Not so hard. Theatre print picture of each movie poster, people point which one, hold up fingers show how many tickets. I smile, friendly. Smile goes long way!

Once I met a deaf cashier at a grocery store in Charlotte. I think several members of AD have worked as cashiers.

It sounds like your theater has two or three movies to show daily in your small town. What if it shows 20 movies daily as the theaters in many cities do? Does your booth have enough room for those 20 movie posters? How can you tell which one of 20 movies they point to? To tell you the truth, I never saw the mini-posters at every booths in LA area.

Way to be optimistic and flexible.

10 screens. 40 daily showings. Print all posters small on 11x17 paper. Hand to customer, they point which, hand back.

Almost anything possible if you willing try.

10 screens. 40 daily showings. Print all posters small on 11x17 paper. Hand to customer, they point which, hand back.

Almost anything possible if you willing try.

No shit? Obviously your manager is a cool one. However I doubt there are other theater managers like him or her.

No shit? Obviously your manager is a cool one. However I doubt there are other theater managers like him or her.

Not "cool". Smart enough realise he would get slapped with lawsuit if he discriminate against me only because I'm deaf. Deaf people can work theatre! Job not involve listen for enemies attacking. Sheesh. Job involve smiling, be friendly to customer, sell tickets. Not hard job! Manager 12 year old daughter work same job. Same girl with Down Syndrome. I think sad people think manager accommodates employees "cool". This how managers suppose be.

Not "cool". Smart enough realise he would get slapped with lawsuit if he discriminate against me only because I'm deaf. Deaf people can work theatre! Job not involve listen for enemies attacking. Sheesh. Job involve smiling, be friendly to customer, sell tickets. Not hard job! Manager 12 year old daughter work same job. Same girl with Down Syndrome. I think sad people think manager accommodates employees "cool". This how managers suppose be.

When I go out to watch a movie with OC someday,
I will ask a manager there if he/she would hire a deaf person to sell movie tickets or not. So wait and see what the manager says. OK?

I just wanted to say "yep" I feel your anger and frustration ... It is a brutal dig eat dog rat race.. not being able to hear what's going on around you can make one easy prey or targets for backstabbing, set up etc. They want your job too. Being smart and protecting yourself best u can and working hard and making friends helps.. not fun always feeling like u gotta have eyes in backbod your head.. but as long as one trust best.. what else can we do about everything else? It is very hard but some are successful good for u.. some just get stuck in bad area I feel for them.. one thing we can learn from history, is look at the women leadership helping women get job, look at blacks same thing, leadership got alot of benefits .. and a price to pay to get em.. it ain't easy but can be done, just a matter of the right person coming along.. its just a matter of time..

First of all, since I am deaf, I can't apply for a job as a waiter or a secretary with requirement to answer phone calls. In other words, I am disabled.

Have you seen a deaf cashier at any Target store? Have you bought a movie ticket from a deaf worker at a ticket booth? Have you met a deaf car saleperson? I am not talking about hard of hearing people or oralists. I am talking about profoundly deaf people who use ASL and can't use speech.

That's why our federal government officially put a hearing-impairment (deafness) on a disabliltiy list under ADA. Therefore, deaf people are eligible for SSI and SSDI. That makes sense completely.

Fortunately, I have a job at US Postal Service for 27 years and it doesn't require verbal communication. However they don't hire anymore because of bad economy so deaf people have difficult times NOW to find jobs that don't require verbal communication. What's more, many businesses still practice audism.

That's crazy, CrazyPaul!

I worked in restaurants and a lounge when I was younger. I'm oral Deaf so maybe that is the difference?

I also use the computer a lot to communicate for job and I have a, how do you say, high up job. Worked my way up like anyone else. If I quit client tomorrow I would have a job the next day.

Maybe my experience is unusual?

But if the employer can provide accommodations, are you still disabled?

A deaf secretary can still work with papers, meet with managers or clients in person, use email, use relay services, etc. A deaf waiter can have customers write out their orders or point to the menu.

I know of a deaf chirporactor in Ohio. Apparently, he's managed to find a way to communicate with his clients during sessions. I also know of a Deaf man who doesn't use speech and he works for the Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh. His job is within the data security network.

Very few jobs are all or nothing.

Employers need to be educated more on this issue.

Education is key!

Where I work most of what I do is face to face, work on my own or through email. My right hand gal do most of the phone calls for me and she's deaf in left ear (only just found out a week ago).

Most of my direct colleagues, or peers, know that I use email to communicate to do my job. If I cannot understand them on work phone with loud volume then I ask them if we can take to email. I have not had one person say, "No, talk to me," when I explain how hard to understand them.

It was hard to tell people what I need but, now that I do this for awhile, not so hard to put it out there that this is what I need. All have been understanding. Now, if I can only get idjit hearies, that I only deal with once or twice a month, to shut up and stop being ignorant and say ignorant things, life would be great! :giggle:

i dont want too be labeled disabled because im not, I can work hard, learn just as well, fight just as mean as anyone else, and be great in the bedroom I am not effin disabled and it pisses me off when hearies say I am, can I not do some of the things they can like talk on the telephone? well maybe not as good as they can but I figure a way around it but if its really important send the fire brigade (yeah just an example of sarcasm, I hate phones) but no im not disabled Im HOH and Proud of it!!! nuff said

Good post! :h5:

That's crazy, CrazyPaul!

I worked in restaurants and a lounge when I was younger. I'm oral Deaf so maybe that is the difference?

I also use the computer a lot to communicate for job and I have a, how do you say, high up job. Worked my way up like anyone else. If I quit client tomorrow I would have a job the next day.

Maybe my experience is unusual?

How do profoundly deaf waiters who can't use speech communicate with customers? Please be realistic. You are an oralist which makes a difference.

How do profoundly deaf waiters who can't use speech communicate with customers? Please be realistic. You are an oralist which makes a difference.

Hmm...I watched this video about the Deaf in Thailand and in Cambodia. trying to remember the name of the website. Basically it was this American deaf guy who travels the world and meet deaf people in each country. He met deaf business owners in thailand who owned restaurants, food carts and shops. He asked them how they served customers - they said they would use the calculator to explain prices and the customers would point to what they want in the shops or on the menu. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Education is key!

Where I work most of what I do is face to face, work on my own or through email. My right hand gal do most of the phone calls for me and she's deaf in left ear (only just found out a week ago).

Most of my direct colleagues, or peers, know that I use email to communicate to do my job. If I cannot understand them on work phone with loud volume then I ask them if we can take to email. I have not had one person say, "No, talk to me," when I explain how hard to understand them.

It was hard to tell people what I need but, now that I do this for awhile, not so hard to put it out there that this is what I need. All have been understanding. Now, if I can only get idjit hearies, that I only deal with once or twice a month, to shut up and stop being ignorant and say ignorant things, life would be great! :giggle:

Alot of businesses don't need to be educated because they already know about deafness but they don't want to deal with it. It's called audism. It happens everywhere. That's not bullshit. Come on, wake up and smell the coffee.

Alot of businesses don't need to be educated because they already know about deafness but they don't want to deal with it. It's called audism. It happens everywhere. That's not bullshit. Come on, wake up and smell the coffee.

That's why I am a strong believer that Deaf people need to start up their own businesses instead of trying to get employed.

That's what I did after years of trying to get a job. I realized that the only person who would hire me is me so I started up my own business and that's when money started rolling in.

Hmm...I watched this video about the Deaf in Thailand and in Cambodia. trying to remember the name of the website. Basically it was this American deaf guy who travels the world and meet deaf people in each country. He met deaf business owners in thailand who owned restaurants, food carts and shops. He asked them how they served customers - they said they would use the calculator to explain prices and the customers would point to what they want in the shops or on the menu. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Deaf owners naturally hire deaf people because they are united. Use your common sense. I know one deaf guy who owns a catering business and he hires deaf people to work with him so why the fuck not? He uses VRS to take orders.
But I am talking about any restaurant like Red Lobster. Would they hire a deaf person as a waiter? Fucking no! Be realistic! Oralists or hard-of hearing people are not actually deaf.

That's why I am a strong believer that Deaf people need to start up their own businesses instead of trying to get employed.

That's what I did after years of trying to get a job. I realized that the only person who would hire me is me so I started up my own business and that's when money started rolling in.

Congratulation! I am proud of you. But please understand most of us don't have money to start with.

Back