Do deaf folks consider themselves disabled?

Just because it is hard to find a job or do things does not mean we should give up. When you give up you are only limiting yourself.

Keith Nolan I highly respect him. He doesn't give up. He refuses to allow society to make him disable.

I have seen many deaf people sit down on their pity pot and limit themselves. As I have with hearing people and others that allow themselves to be limited.

That is just some of the few examples out of many. The point is that there are many deaf who are able to do avariety of jobs but society's prejudice makes it nearly impossible for many of us to achieve to our potential and as a result, many deaf give up and collect SSDI. Not everyone has the time nor the ability to fight and prove those ignorant people wrong. It would be nice but I am a realist especially in this economy the way it is. Call me pessimistic but I have seen way toooo many of my friends who have all the necessary degrees, training, or even experience apply to one company after another for years until they give up and work at jobs not related to their fields with poor pay or collect SSI. It gets discouraging.

As for jobs, how is this not a matter of civil rights for the Deaf? I am referring to posts like post #627 in the The new deaf generation speaking and listening thread. I would say civil rights for the deaf has plenty of merits.

Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.

Military does not only say deaf people can't fight combat. People with other medical conditions can not fight front line.

Which is why I respect Keith Nolan, He is not sitting on his pity pot griping about it. He is up there doing something about it.

Military does not only say deaf people can't fight combat. People with other medical conditions can not fight front line.

Which is why I respect Keith Nolan, He is not sitting on his pity pot griping about it. He is up there doing something about it.

Like I said, not everyone has that ability to do what he is doing. The point is that Deaf have been speaking out..you would think by now society would remove all the barriers. When does it end?

As for jobs, how is this not a matter of civil rights for the Deaf? I am referring to posts like post #627 in the The new deaf generation speaking and listening thread. I would say civil rights for the deaf has plenty of merits.

That hidden video exposed the discrimination that is still going on...only that the employers aren't coming right out and saying it. Just simply not calling the deaf people back for interviews. If it was a few, then I would believe it was due to lack of qualifications but that many? And then that video came out. Still a big problem. I would love for everyone to be like Keith Nolan. It takes a special kind of person to go out there and educate. I just wish society would be more willing to compromise.

That hidden video exposed the discrimination that is still going on...only that the employers aren't coming right out and saying it. Just simply not calling the deaf people back for interviews. If it was a few, then I would believe it was due to lack of qualifications but that many? And then that video came out. Still a big problem. I would love for everyone to be like Keith Nolan. It takes a special kind of person to go out there and educate. I just wish society would be more willing to compromise.

I agree.

Shel... It will not happen overnight. We as deaf people have come a long ways. I will say this much. It is improving for Us. Which is why we need to continue to fight and educate others.

I just wish that some deaf people will rise off their pity pot and get out there and fight along with us instead of milking the system. Yes, I know some deaf people that are able to work and do not work. I do not hardly even hang out with some of them because all they want to do is moan, groan and blame everyone else out there while they chug their beers and smoke their pot.

Shel... It will not happen overnight. We as deaf people have come a long ways. I will say this much. It is improving for Us. Which is why we need to continue to fight and educate others.

I just wish that some deaf people will rise off their pity pot and get out there and fight along with us instead of milking the system. Yes, I know some deaf people that are able to work and do not work. I do not hardly even hang out with some of them because all they want to do is moan, groan and blame everyone else out there while they chug their beers and smoke their pot.

so did I , moved away from that sort of crowd and go real. i still love my whisky and rums though, but i dont use it to 'laugh the pains off' i sip it in a very mature way, and actually enjoy it.
Not dont get me wrong not all are milking it, some are just not too bright to realise, that what 'they want' is out of their reach they the bicker and moan, but its also like that's their coping mechnasim they only know about, they 'know they could do better' but for so long they got used to it' and fell back, and stayed there , quite sad, but you know this is for millions, society's complext almost seemingly easy to access 'things' like junk food, good looking cheap clothes makes it very difficult to 'see pass the material sides of things and deciding what to do , like as you say getting off their bums'...its really not fair to spout and say they lazy...i actually sometimes thinks
its the rich owners whos are lazy they just talk smart with money (as thats all they know about) and dont know hard work and dont know real life because they spend times looking, driving the latest greatest cars, talking to 'flash people' about 'interesting things' as a class act, but all the while they think they 'know it' they havent got a clue. they might have power, and money, in fact LOTS of that its scary, but they're are just "actors" of the flaw society,,,sometimes again they face struggles of no trust, everyones money is more important than whats theirs lifes worth

Grummer from the many post I see you post seems like you have issues with rich or famous people. Granted some of them may have had it easy, but many of them actually busted their ass to get where they are at.

I never said it was easy for a person to get out of the pity pot mode. I know some of them are actually depressed. And rather to just stay home and drown their sorrows. It is a vicious cycle for them.

Some of them actually tell me that they can work and that they do not want to work becaue they rather to play. They get SSI, Foodstamps, go to different charities to get food and clothing. If they put that much effort into finding a job and working they would be so much better off. I am not just speaking about deaf people I am speaking of people in general.

Ok so how come many deaf people can't serve in the front lines for the armed services, be a commercial airliner and etc? Because society says we can't.

Yep. And regardless of what others may say, we know it's because we are deaf that we don't get hired for these kinds of jobs. That has shown itself to be true for decades.

i dont have issues with them, im merely a social scientist they intrigue me, always has, oh i have some of the best freinds who are really wealthy i dont whine, i'd even cook them meals and expect nothing back, maybe lately they might help out like, invite me along to go hunting, got nothing to do with money, just freindship and enjoys their company as i do enjoy company of intelligent people with a life. I always makes observations, and sometimes i even share that with Mark or Greg -they surprise me too, they wonder about similar things, if not always, sometimes they dont like what i say or even we risked freindship over differences, end of the day they know that's my interest and they know i try not make it personal , its hard though. i like poor people too as they dont have as much to appreciate simply because of experience or they dont care, nor completely ignorant of it due to 'class-based tastes' most time when im there i accept, and shut my mouth but maybe id pick carefully and show them something else, later on when id know how they'd react, sometime it doesnt work either lol, oh well...but no, 'issues' well
that subjective too again some 'rich people are rich because they are mean, i have seen that as well....and power hungry i have seen that first hand too..but to me how i cope, is that they are simply 'actors' in soceity they want that life if they can get it, but there's ALWAYS some cost one way or another...to live it...
each to their own i for one, wouldnt like to be very wealthy, there'd be other worries that id be so for unaccustomed to and would dread it...so id stay where i am...(sound familiar?) anyway, yea i dont like rich people because right now the trend is ,
the new denial' which i dread the consequences for it in coming decades...

There will always be some people who milk the system. Those are the ones who I don't concern myself with because they aren't willing to do shit.

It is those who did everything right..getting the education, working hard, and etc who are the ones who get screwed by society's inability to adjust. That is what pisses me off hence that philosophy I have.

As in...not make it a big deal.

It is a big deal to those who worked their assess off because they were told as children that if they do, they will be successful at their field of work only to find themselves working at menial jobs or without jobs because of ignorance about deafness.

Maybe not to you but to those who have lived day in and day out with constant discrimation, it is a big deal.

It same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and CAN do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with Deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.

it same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and can do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.

exactly

It is a big deal to those who worked their assess off because they were told as children that if they do, they will be successful at their field of work only to find themselves working at menial jobs or without jobs because of ignorance about deafness.

Maybe not to you but to those who have lived day in and day out with constant discrimation, it is a big deal.

Exactly.

It same thing here. I know some of deaf people are smart and got qualifcations and CAN do the job but they keep getting refused for the job by the boss/whoever doing hiring.

Also lot of companies are worried about cost, communication, etc with Deaf people and they think it easier to pick hearing person even if hearing person is lower qualified.

I see this all too often. I still remember one deaf man who majored in computer programmming and did an internship who was quite bitter cuz he couldn't find a job as programmer but had to settle for being a mail clerk.

Back