Discussion vs. Debate

Lasza

Premium Lurker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have seen some of them feel offended or angry at some issues. We just get thru harmony and chaos for various issues.

What would be the difference between "debate" and "discussion"?

How would u explain the differences"

There are NO wrong and right for debates. Same to Discussion.
Debates are usually validated with back up proof to support the argument. Discussions really is based on opinions/emotional expressions. Some ppl would perceive their comments as insults while others would just *nodding*.

i agree Lasza -- thats exactly how i would explain it -- the way i look at it

"debate" is more commonly political

"discussion" is more commonly based on emotional and opinionated responses

Originally posted by Lasza
That is ur personal opinion. Both are similiar meaning YES but different STYLE.

I would rather follow dictionary. Style just messes up the form of communication, unless youre doing it for entertainment purpose.

Originally posted by Justin Sane
I would rather follow dictionary. Style just messes up the form of communication, unless youre doing it for entertainment purpose.

Stick with ur best friend Dictionary. U know what to do.

What about others?? The reason I created that thread. cuz some ppl did not realize debate can be very wide open and tuff talking. Will some ppl can handle with ruthless talking ??? One of thread I have seen some ppl take too seriously or cannot handle with some ppl's business. really, Just talking is just talking as their BUSINESS.

Also some of ppl can handle with huge RUDENESSS during debate/discuss????

well, discuss could mean to argue.

Debate could mean to argue too, just that you picked two wrong word to compare, No offense intend.

TO ME debate is to communicate about the polticics or the strong issues of a subject,

while i see discuss is to communicate how a person would feel and have feedback and etc.
thats my thinking of those two defineation, and lasza said it perfect!

Debate is something between two or more people. Discussion is for anyone. When you have a debate, one person is trying to prove himself/herself right or pointing out the errors of others. This is usually something when you are trying to figure out of something is good or bad. One example would be, "Do you think we should go to war with North Korea or not?" For discussion, it's just general talk, comments, and ideas towards an issue. Anyone can express any opinion on this subject and there is no taking sides in discussions. A good example would be, "What do you think about the war with North Korea?"

Originally posted by VamPyroX
Debate is something between two or more people. Discussion is for anyone. When you have a debate, one person is trying to prove himself/herself right or pointing out the errors of others. This is usually something when you are trying to figure out of something is good or bad. One example would be, "Do you think we should go to war with North Korea or not?" For discussion, it's just general talk, comments, and ideas towards an issue. Anyone can express any opinion on this subject and there is no taking sides in discussions. A good example would be, "What do you think about the war with North Korea?"

VERY nicely put Vampyrox!!!!

ok Dabate can be agure, fight related common to Gov''t policties

discuss mean have to talks general almost to cooparte with another people.

Originally posted by Justin Sane
well, discuss could mean to argue.

Debate could mean to argue too, just that you picked two wrong word to compare, No offense intend.

there is no wrong and right about both words. everyone have own opinons not yours!!!!

if u love ur own ways then that's YOURS! not mine. if u dont like my ways then not bother me.

Originally posted by Lasza
there is no wrong and right about both words. everyone have own opinons not yours!!!!

if u love ur own ways then that's YOURS! not mine. if u dont like my ways then not bother me.

:eek:

It wasnt my opinion, it was what webster said.

Last edited:
Back