discovery channel: deafblind triplets

thanks, dreama. i think i had an advantage though because i grew up with hearing.

Yes that would be an advantage. I remember saying from before that you were hard of hearing?

Yes that would be an advantage. I remember saying from before that you were hard of hearing?

yes. i was born with a mild hearing loss. my former hearing aid audis think my loss is congenital due to the fact that newborns weren't given hearing screenings back in the late 60s/early 70s. my hearing loss wasn't officially diagnosed until age 3.

hi everyone,

i also didn't like how it was incinuated that sophie was better off than either zoe or emma because she had some residual vision. if truth be told, sometimes it can be far more difficult to be legally blind than it is to be totally blind.

one final thing i didn't like was how the doctor said that he expected sophie to have unlimited potential unlike zoe and emma.

I did catch those two things, they p*ss me off too, thats why i just tell people i am blind.

I think it was good show. It was amazing for me to watch.

And actually I think the person to say " their world only goes to what they can physically touch. Beyond that, nothing exists" was their step father. Not a narrator.

Watching those girls play was exciting for me. Clearly they can be doing much more. They swim and interact with each other. One scene was very sad. One of the triplets (not sophie) was in the back seat going to get her prosthetic eyes and she had her arm out the window and was just so pleased to feel the air and the sun. She was smiling and laughing.

It makes me wonder what they think about and how they can feel trapped in their own skin because they cannot communicate with the people they need to. Also- no where in the documentary did it point out if the parents were learning tactile sign? I only saw intervenor doing it with the girls. I don't understand why the intervenor was only there for one week at a time, every other month or so. How can that help anyone? I sure hope the mother and step father are using tactile signs and keeping up with the schedule the intervenor builds while being there for whatever time she is. I think they would be a lot further along if this was the case.

I am not saying the parents are neglectful. I got sense that they rely on other people more than doing those types of behaviors on their own, on everyday basis.

I think it was good show. It was amazing for me to watch.

And actually I think the person to say " their world only goes to what they can physically touch. Beyond that, nothing exists" was their step father. Not a narrator.

Watching those girls play was exciting for me. Clearly they can be doing much more. They swim and interact with each other. One scene was very sad. One of the triplets (not sophie) was in the back seat going to get her prosthetic eyes and she had her arm out the window and was just so pleased to feel the air and the sun. She was smiling and laughing.

It makes me wonder what they think about and how they can feel trapped in their own skin because they cannot communicate with the people they need to. Also- no where in the documentary did it point out if the parents were learning tactile sign? I only saw intervenor doing it with the girls. I don't understand why the intervenor was only there for one week at a time, every other month or so. How can that help anyone? I sure hope the mother and step father are using tactile signs and keeping up with the schedule the intervenor builds while being there for whatever time she is. I think they would be a lot further along if this was the case.

I am not saying the parents are neglectful. I got sense that they rely on other people more than doing those types of behaviors on their own, on everyday basis.

Thanks for letting me know more about the show. It's interesting what you say about the parents not using sign language. It just confirms what I think. That Zoe and Emma aren't getting enough communication. Deafblind people who were successful such as Helen Keller and Laura Bradman were communicated to on an almost constant bases. It seems in this day in age people are too busy for that.

the reason why the 3 triplets only received services from an intervenor once a week per 1-2 months is because the parents were responsible for paying the cost. intervenors are not provided for free and must be paid for the services they provide. what i think needs to be done is that insurance companies need to step up and cover funding for ssp's and intervenors. after all, how else is a deafblind child supposed to learn? you wonder why emma and zoe were so delayed, but a major part of that was due to the fact that they did not see an intervenor on a daily basis. repetition is so vitally important for deafblind children. having an intervenor come over once a week every 1-2 months just doesn't cut it.

off-topic...

notsodeaf,

what does your username (notsodeaf) and tagline underneath it (i can't hear you honking) mean? just curious.

I agree Hear Again about insurance should step in and pay intervenes to help deaf-blinds. I felt it is not very fair and insurances are very selfish and greedy! UGH! Anyway, I really hope that triplets do very well by now. I believes they are almost 10 or already turned 10 by now. It is a lot of work to work with them.

Health insurance should cover everything not limit! :roll::roll: We pay for it, then they should cover it period! Our co pay increased, I was like damnit!

the reason why the 3 triplets only received services from an intervenor once a week per 1-2 months is because the parents were responsible for paying the cost. intervenors are not provided for free and must be paid for the services they provide. what i think needs to be done is that insurance companies need to step up and cover funding for ssp's and intervenors. after all, how else is a deafblind child supposed to learn? you wonder why emma and zoe were so delayed, but a major part of that was due to the fact that they did not see an intervenor on a daily basis. repetition is so vitally important for deafblind children. having an intervenor come over once a week every 1-2 months just doesn't cut it.

I totally agree!

Back