Difficuties

this is a good example of manufactured dependence. how she states running out of batteries and being stuck, nothing you can do in that situation
the reality is their is everything one can do in that situation..
life live free no wires attached..
but she unable to see through mask of benevolence..
sad really
- she states she figures people get annoyed when they stare when your signing. then the next breath uses an open hand 5 and a thumb for six..indeed in some sign languages that is six, this girl doesn't appear to sign though even how she did the 6,
anyway
every oen of her plms she stated can be easily handled.
-ancient Deafie secret of course...'-)

-

I think you are missing the point. I'll play the devil's advocate and point out, if anything, she is making the solid case for "the deaf cure" or at least for CI (but try not forgetting the batteries, ever, lol)
she complains how she can not listen to YT, TV etc anymore b/c she can not understand what is being said anymore, she can not hear anymore b/c her batteries dies etc - what better case for being 'the cured' of deafness of having CI? so she can hear AND understand again.
Even as trivial thing as getting the piercing is prevented, b/c she can't get them in certain places she wants b/c of the HA getting in the way of the piercing (she shows where).
Although in this case the CI would too, still prevent the earring placement but 'the cure' - would not.

As for the girl, no I don't think she is signing, she is just showing numbers just as any regular person would.

Fuzzy

I think you are missing the point. I'll play the devil's advocate and point out, if anything, she is making the solid case for "the deaf cure" or at least for CI (but try not forgetting the batteries, ever, lol)
she complains how she can not listen to YT, TV etc anymore b/c she can not understand what is being said anymore, she can not hear anymore b/c her batteries dies etc - what better case for being 'the cured' of deafness of having CI? so she can hear AND understand again.
Even as trivial thing as getting the piercing is prevented, b/c she can't get them in certain places she wants b/c of the HA getting in the way of the piercing (she shows where).
Although in this case the CI would too, still prevent the earring placement but 'the cure' - would not.

As for the girl, no I don't think she is signing, she is just showing numbers just as any regular person would.

Fuzzy

she brought up sign but she doesn't sign. so...
we know how to handle her plms we do it every day...must be a super secret..if she asked we would give it to her FREE..

BUT if you so readily want to share your dear Deaf life with the hearing to show how great it is -why she has to ASK for it?
you should offer it without asking. jump to it, even..

Fuzzy

we do offer it, every damn day, read my sig, she needs to ask because besides me and a lucky few, the rest of Deaf cant read minds, so questions are very important in order to know what others wish..so yes ask us..pls.

Wonder why she doesn't use closed captioning for tv? (youtube we all know in general suck with the auto captions lol).

I don't see why she can't get a piercing where she indicated- pretty sure I've seen deaf who wear hearing aids with piercings in that location.

Me- I'm an old fart so don't even notice people staring anymore- whether I'm signing or at my hearing aids (got used to it with fat/thick glasses and hearing aids growing up). Just got green earmolds lol. now to figure out a way to colorize the hardware part.

well, I know my HA's would make uncomfortable noises if touched with something outside, like knock, rustle, or shshshshhhwish - maybe that's why.
as for CC, not everything is captioned.

Fuzzy

well, I know my HA's would make uncomfortable noises if touched with something outside, like knock, rustle, or shshshshhhwish - maybe that's why.

Fuzzy

Got a point there.. may depend on the size of the piercing itself and the size of the hearing aid(s) too.. they're getting smaller by the year- at least the BTEs are...

Got a point there.. may depend on the size of the piercing itself and the size of the hearing aid(s) too.. they're getting smaller by the year- at least the BTEs are...
But not the CI processors as far as I've seen. I think they may be even bigger than my Naidas which are big because they're power aids

Fuzzy

not everything is captioned, true but the vast vast vast majority of things when it comes to entertainment anyway are either captioned or subtitled. in my experience its allot harder now a days to find non captioned viewing then it s to find captioned viewing. yes online you tube all that sucks big time no argument form me.
yes for sure a movie is found with no cc or subtitle but almost anything produced in america anyway will have either, these days if its a blue ray or dvd, or even the old vhs..
but im lucky..so maybe ive just had wicked luck.....ive also have been stuck at times true, though rare watching a film, with the only subtitle options are russian or thai...such are the curve balls life tosses you...
againt so that im not misunderstood indeed not everything is CC..

or..
perhaps their is another reason why she doesn't use CC?

ive known hearie families so hostile that their child was Deaf they actually refused to use CC or anything to help the child..obviously in their mind isolation was the better bet then inclusion..if only the child good just work a little more at it,,,just work, work, work at it.....their will be abreakthrough..

(shakes head)
ive witnessed this more then one time...
given the actual statements of the girl, i would be surprised if she did not grow up in such a hostile environment to her hearing "loss"

ive known hearie families so hostile that their child was Deaf they actually refused to use CC or anything to help the child..obviously in their mind isolation was the better bet then inclusion..if only the child good just work a little more at it,,,just work, work, work at it.....their will be abreakthrough..

Perhaps subconsciously they do that.. most times the "reason" I hear is that the captions are distracting to the viewer so they don't like them. Can't get used to them if you don't use 'em. At first my parents did say they were distracting but after 30 some years they're so used to them I am almost certain they always leave them on when I'm not living here. Not sure how I could prove THAT but it's true lol.

On a side note what bugs me is how tiny the captions have gotten over the years. "large" still looks too small for me at least (and any low vision individual). "small caps" is worse than 'normal caps'.

[QUOTE="DeafDucky,

On a side note what bugs me is how tiny the captions have gotten over the years. "large" still looks too small for me at least (and any low vision individual). "small caps" is worse than 'normal caps'.[/QUOTE]

One of my TVs is a Contex 24" (their LE-2468) that I got at a supermarket of all places for right around $100 at a time when it was cut for just over that to sell out the last ones in stock. One of the caption choices on it is larger than most. You choose digital captions service 1, then under option it is Font 3 in large. I am not sure what your choices would be for colors, etc. that is also up to you.

I don't know if that it one you could find at this time or not.

Her experiences are HER experiences, and I am sure many other people have similar experiences, too.
I for one give her big kudos for doing good job trying to educate the world via YouTube, particularly those who instead
of being supportive ("turn down the TV! turn down the YT!" etc) are being the put downs,
and by way of doing these home made clips
she is trying to show thru her own eyes, her own life what is like to live the life of a deaf or HoH person,
explain what a hearing person does not understand, does not think -realize- about.

It is not about what she can or can not do from this -our- side - it is what the HEARING side does not know.
The title itself explains everything :)

Fuzzy

DeafDucky said:
On a side note what bugs me is how tiny the captions have gotten over the years. "large" still looks too small for me at least (and any low vision individual). "small caps" is worse than 'normal caps'.

One of my TVs is a Contex 24" (their LE-2468) that I got at a supermarket of all places for right around $100 at a time when it was cut for just over that to sell out the last ones in stock. One of the caption choices on it is larger than most. You choose digital captions service 1, then under option it is Font 3 in large. I am not sure what your choices would be for colors, etc. that is also up to you.

I don't know if that it one you could find at this time or not.

It depends on the TV or cable provider you have I'm finding. I have to use the cable tv provider's 'CC settings' to get any sort of colors or sizes because if we try to do it from the TV's menu the digital CC setting is grayed out. Analog CC is only one kind- white on black background and 'standard size' (usually medium or small).

You have to also remember I have in a sense low vision (cannot read the text on a now standard screen resolution of what the heck is it now...1920x1080 or thereabouts which is obscenely small for me- I stick to 1024x735 if I can or maybe a bit above that and tweak everything else) so what you may deem as large it may look too small for me.

Fuzzy
That happen when I use my cell phone ,my HA will feedback a lot making it hard to talk on the phone. I have a new earmold too so this shouldn't be happen.
Have to lost any weight , I heard of people earmolds not fitting good after they lost weigh , they became too lose and they needed to have new earmolds made.

That happen when I use my cell phone ,my HA will feedback a lot making it hard to talk on the phone. I have a new earmold too so this shouldn't be happen.

To avoid that feedback when you put a phone against a hearing aid you need to have the T-coil setting available on your hearing aid and switch to that for calls.

the best way to avoid any feedback is to live life free, no wires attached..

Have to lost any weight , I heard of people earmolds not fitting good after they lost weigh , they became too lose and they needed to have new earmolds made.

To avoid that feedback when you put a phone against a hearing aid you need to have the T-coil setting available on your hearing aid and switch to that for calls.

Or get a DAI cord (you'll need an FM boot for that) or FM loop. Some may even just use the speaker phone setting on the phone. It probably isn't the earmold if you just got them- the hearing aid itself is doing that- sometimes the volume is up too high and sometimes just the act of having something touch it causes feedback (think when people hug- I would always get feedback when hugging people).

Would take a drastic loss of weight for molds to fit badly though.

I get feedback when I've washed my hair. My audiologist said it's because of "changes" to the ear canal when it gets wet and the mold doesn't fit snug. And, yes, I dry my ears out after washing my hair. Later everything is fine.

Back