Did you see story about AB on "Today"?

Old news? The article was posted on March 14th. :roll:

it is still technically considered old news... this incident happened nearly 10 years ago, and NOW the parents going to the news about it.

I shouldn't be jump on thread in first place. Oops my bad.

Anyway. That is rare caused by AB recalled. The reason why I choice Nucelus freedom in first place. My Audie offered me to choice a CI brand was Cochlear or AB, I picked Nuckeus for reason. I can see people are using AB and not have a recalled. They are so lucky. I respect for CI users choice of CI brands and not need to be CI brand wars.

All CIs are going to have their problems at one time or another. All 3 manufacturers have had their serious problems and recalls. Just the fact of life when it comes to technology.

That is why I don't like surgery as the surgery can be a risk and also not known if the devices in the Cochlear not be able to work. Devices like hearing aids don't last forever. Beside, it is very costly to have to pay for devices like this. Deaf people just have to learn to adapt to being deaf and learn either to sign ASL or use paper and pen for communication. Lipreading is another story being that it is not accurate. :(

What If you have problem with heart and necessary to have an open your heart and fix? Of course the surgery is always risk at general and will be heal in few weeks to months. Another wise if you have an arthritis and need to be surgery to adjust the joints in the bones. The devices is always replacement new brands every 5 to 20 years. It depend on individuals.

I don't see any pro CI users causing problems on this thread. Perhaps you should consider who is causing these fights? Every time I've seen one, it's been instigated by a Deaf community member being extremely vocal about CIs.

This goes for certain hearing people who do not get how Deaf People feel.

People should understand why Deaf Community is bothered...
Hearing parents not willing to learn sign language to communicate with their deaf babies/children - so sad. Where's the love in that?
They get an easy way out to implant babies with CIs or ABs to communicate. This is a major operation at the skull -too risky.
Call this love? Not to the Deaf Community.

Hearing people usually complained about how deaf people are for many reasons, one of them is not knowing English - geez, give it a rest. ASL is a language just as well as English. Most hearing people do not know ASL too, do Deaf people whine about that, no.

Another is Deaf people drawing social security checks - majority of the deaf people are not getting jobs/can't hold jobs.

And schools, most deaf children are attending mainstream schools - without their peers?!?

Aw, it's crazy and quite upsetting how hearing people treat the deaf of all ages.

What If you have problem with heart and necessary to have an open your heart and fix? Of course the surgery is always risk at general and will be heal in few weeks to months. Another wise if you have an arthritis and need to be surgery to adjust the joints in the bones. The devices is always replacement new brands every 5 to 20 years. It depend on individuals.

I'm sorry, heart?????
You're kidding? Comparing heart - deafness?
There is nothing wrong with my being deaf. My heart is really needed but my hearing is not needed.
Without a heart, we die. Without hearing we're still alive.

Yep--I adapted by getting a CI! Sorry, I've lived in the hearing world and the deaf world and will take the hearing world any day!

Good for you!
I'm in both cause I have some hearing and deaf families and friends.
Why pick?

Hearing parents not willing to learn sign language to communicate with their deaf babies/children - so sad. Where's the love in that?
They get an easy way out to implant babies with CIs or ABs to communicate. This is a major operation at the skull -too risky.

Hearing people usually complained about how deaf people are for many reasons, one of them is not knowing English - geez, give it a rest. ASL is a language just as well as English. Most hearing people do not know ASL too, do Deaf people whine about that, no.

Another is Deaf people drawing social security checks - majority of the deaf people are not getting jobs/can't hold jobs.

And schools, most deaf children are attending mainstream schools - without their peers?!?

Aw, it's crazy and quite upsetting how hearing people treat the deaf of all ages.

Ok, I'm confused---parents that want their deaf children to be able to hear are bad, but growing up deaf is bad because you can't find a job? Yes, the job market is limited for those that can't hear, much like someone without legs probably can't be a fireman. You learn to deal with it by learning to hear, CI's or HA's, or find a job where you don't need to hear to work.

Ok, I'm confused---parents that want their deaf children to be able to hear are bad, but growing up deaf is bad because you can't find a job? Yes, the job market is limited for those that can't hear, much like someone without legs probably can't be a fireman. You learn to deal with it by learning to hear, CI's or HA's, or find a job where you don't need to hear to work.

It is not as black and white as you make it to be.

There should be some compromises made by society. After all, we are all a part of a large community and we all should help each other out. Discrimination definitely does NOT help.

I don't ever see any of that. What I see, in the subset of these fora that I participate in, is many members who do not contribute to this subforum in any meaningful way come in barging into the HA and CI implant forums to make snarky and misguided comments about CIs to ADULT members who are interested in CIs and discourage them -- possibly depriving them of what could really be a life altering prosthetic device. No one said CI users have to stop signing, and I personally think everyone with any amount of hearing loss should be learning ASL. Personally, my cochlear implant really did restore my ability to communicate with the hearing world that I grew up in without tears of frustration. It alleviates in some part the discrimination we all face whenever someone learns that we can't hear. It greatly enhances our prospects of employment. All of these are good things, no matter who you are. We can shout about oralism at the top of our lungs but the only thing that is going to really dispel the negative stereotypes is proving that deaf people are just as competent, intelligent, and capable as hearing people instead of having an aggrieved persecution complex.

I see a lot of talk about the people who post here needing to be cognizant of the feelings and thoughts of the Deaf community, but no one ever tells someone to be cognizant of how implanted people feel when talking about implants is met with hostility and aggression, even though they may not have even been the one making that life decision.

Last edited:

Confused
- the majority of deaf/HoH people parents do not sign, only few do. sad.

Can't find a job
- no not growing up deaf can't have jobs, no. for example... any general type of jobs. Suppose there's a bid or promotion a deaf/HoH person's working his/her way up but won't get it cause of being deaf/HoH. There's interpreters out there. There's much more to it - You'd have to be involved with these people to know what's going on out there. Researching into this will help.

I don't ever see any of that. What I see, in the subset of these fora that I participate in, is many members who do not contribute to this subforum in any meaningful way come in barging into the HA and CI implant forums to make snarky and misguided comments about CIs to ADULT members who are interested in CIs and discourage them -- possibly depriving them of what could really be a life altering prosthetic device. No one said CI users have to stop signing, and I personally think everyone with any amount of hearing loss should be learning ASL. Personally, my cochlear implant really did restore my ability to communicate with the hearing world that I grew up in without tears of frustration. It alleviates in some part the discrimination we all face whenever someone learns that we can't hear. It greatly enhances our prospects of employment. All of these are good things, no matter who you are. We can shout about oralism at the top of our lungs but the only thing that is going to really dispel the negative stereotypes is proving that deaf people are just as competent, intelligent, and capable as hearing people instead of having an aggrieved persecution complex.

I see a lot of talk about the people who post here needing to be cognizant of the feelings and thoughts of the Deaf community, but no one ever tells someone to be cognizant of how implanted people feel when talking about implants is met with hostility and aggression, even though they may not have even been the one making that life decision.

Don't see any of these, guess you may have not been around with real people.
I am sorry if I offend you/others - we all need to educate and understand each other in order to be one.
I'm very involved with the deaf community in my whole state and several states.
There are those with new CIs and ABs -they tend to disappear or wallow away. It is sad. They should be where they were.
It's easy to see why CIs and ABs angers deaf people (actually it's mainly hearing people they're upset with) because more and more people are implanting CIs and ABs on young babies.
Honestly, if they don't do that to the babies, it would be a big difference there - deaf people would be ok with it. Maybe you could see why too?
Anyway, I am not blaming anyone here - just stating why deaf people out there are angry.
I am not against CIs or ABs. It makes a good sense for a person to decide if s/he wants them or not.
For me, putting CIs or ABs on a child before they are able to decide for themselves would be wrong and the risks are scary.
I personally thought of getting some myself because I knew it would work for me - I grew up throughout hearing schools speaking and reading lips. Half of my family is deaf and working with deaf/HoH people - I rather stay deaf. I don't feel disabled, however, the people out there who discriminates really -grrrs me.
I see you mentioned about not to grow up suffering. It's really good that you had that life.
I guess I don't want to change where it gives those hearing people - the discriminates the satisfaction of getting me out of my deafness where they have made me suffer. Ah, hard to explain, you guys get it?

It is not as black and white as you make it to be.

There should be some compromises made by society. After all, we are all a part of a large community and we all should help each other out. Discrimination definitely does NOT help.

There are compromises....interpreters, assisted hearing devices, TTY, etc. What else do you want people to do? You are deaf or hard of hearing, it is what it is. I'm also deaf/hard of hearing and I've learned to work around that just like I've learned that if I need to reach the top shelf I need a stool because I'm short.

I'm sorry, heart?????
You're kidding? Comparing heart - deafness?
There is nothing wrong with my being deaf. My heart is really needed but my hearing is not needed.
Without a heart, we die. Without hearing we're still alive.

I'm talking about all open the surgery that she don't
Like surgery for CI. My point is surgery is normal for risk and will be heal in few month. No matter what is the minor and major risk. What if she is get old and have a heart disease and need to be surgery.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Last edited:
I'm talking about all open the surgery that she don't
Ike surgery for CI. My point is surgery is normal for risk and will be heal in few month. No matter hear she is get old and have a heart disease and need to be surgery.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

I agree--yes, it's still surgery, but compared to other surgeries, the procedure for an CI is pretty minor and minimally invasive, recovery is pretty quick and pain is very minimal for most.

I agree--yes, it's still surgery, but compared to other surgeries, the procedure for an CI is pretty minor and minimally invasive, recovery is pretty quick and pain is very minimal for most.

you tell me why my hub who has a CI ans said that he will never go through CI surgery again. :lol: some people don't handle too well with tiny surgery like me

I really dont want to have a c section but i had no choice. I was so scared of csection. I hated it! surgery does ruin the nerves of skin and leave you NOTHING to feel skin anymore. Thank god I am alive from csection. My friend almost died from c section. SHe's ok. surgery is not always quick and pain that is minimal which isnt true for some people.

small surgery is STILL a risk.

I had a CI surgery. My CI surgeon cut my skin about 3 inches long on my behind the ear and healed for 3 weeks. That wasn't bad. It's minor risk not a major risk.

There are compromises....interpreters, assisted hearing devices, TTY, etc. What else do you want people to do? You are deaf or hard of hearing, it is what it is. I'm also deaf/hard of hearing and I've learned to work around that just like I've learned that if I need to reach the top shelf I need a stool because I'm short.

In your other post, you gave the impression that all it takes for a deaf person to get a CI and their problems with landing a job is solved based on this statement;

You learn to deal with it by learning to hear, CI's or HA's,

It is not as simple as that.

Back