Diabetes

lovezebras

Reaction score
So 6 months ago I was dx with type 1 diabetes and it's been hell trying to control my blood glucose numbers and keeping them all the time in a good range. I went on a cruise not long ago and that was basically a sh*tshow of trying to keep good numbers and limit my food intake.

I check my blood sugars about 6-10 times a day but unfortunately I don't feel "low" blood sugars which is dangerous. I've tested at 2.3 mmol which is 41 mgdl for the states and I was walking around like there was no prob in the world.

My endocrinologist would like me to get something called a continuous glucose monitor. It is a sensor that is worn and there is a part under the skin that tests your blood sugar every 5 min. It gives you valuable info of what number your blood sugar is at as well if its trending up or down with alarms. If I was high or low or heading there it will alarm/vibrate to let me know so I can do something about it.

It isn't covered by insurance so I'm doing a go fund me page to raise the money. I would be grateful for even a couple bucks as a donation to get me to my goal of $1840.

Link to my page http://www.gofundme.com/5gr9vo

Thanks for reading :ty:

i had no idea a continuous glucose monitor existed. I'm on the medtronic pump myself. Whats the name of the company that makes this monitor?

My family had history diabetes

My dad had diabetes for long times and he do careful to insulin and diabetes both but he do watch on his insulin mostly..

My dad's side have history of diabetes. My dad's brother passed on due to complications of diabetes after decades battle. Still no known cure yet, monitor your blood sugar and exercise regularly. Diabetes is no fun to go through.

Sorry haven't been on here in forever! I have the medtronic pump as well now. I got the cgm as well last month. It's called the dexcom. Medtronic has one too the sof-sensor and now the enlite in the states. We already had the enlite here in canada but apparently according to others its not as accurate as the Dexcom CGM.

Dexcom. Discover Smart, simple, straightforward Continuous Glucose Monitoring.

I love it...Checks my bg every 5 min and is usually really close or bang on with my meter. You have to calibrate it twice a day and input your bg ...been a real life saver so far! I don't feel lows really...

Do the best you can to control your insulin, my boss is a insulin dependent diabetic and his diet consists of sugar pepsi and insulin, i can really see it taking its toll on him so look after yourself

Do the best you can to control your insulin, my boss is a insulin dependent diabetic and his diet consists of sugar pepsi and insulin, i can really see it taking its toll on him so look after yourself

A type 1 diabetic can't "control" insulin. Type 2's are insulin resistant but t1's its because we don't produce insulin at all...I can eat the same things anyone else can as long as I cover it with the same amt of insulin a non diabetics body would...

Isn't type 2 diabetic one who "produces too much insulin" which is "converted to abdominal fat"? The "usual medication is Metformin" which helps decreases excess insulin?
Supposedly part of the condition called " Metabolic syndrome"?

As I understood Type 1- one isn't Producing ENOUGH insulin thus needs injections from "external sources". Thus the ongoing necessity to measure one's level at various points of time during the day.-how much to take.

Back