Dermabond vs Stitches

Pinky

Reaction score
I am wonder. Anyone experience with cut wound and put a glue "Dermabond"? I never see that before. It's interesting. My husband got a a big cut wound on his thumb at work this early morning. His co worker took him to go ER. The ER nurse cleaned off of his bleed on thumb and put a glue "DERMABOND" to seal the cut skin shut it. He didn't need to use a bandage or stitches. Do you think Dermabond will become mild of scar line? How about Stitches?

Let debate it here. Thank you.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stitches is an old traditional method. Though, there are several options available such as adhesives (such as Dermabond), stitches, and staples. However, Dermabond is an adhesive and isn't for everybody. Some people may have allergies to adhesives, so they will have options such as stitches and staples. I've had plenty of stitches myself. I am told doctors prefer staples over stitches, because it makes easy for doctors to do work quicker. Doctors don't like to do stitches, because it takes time to practice their stitches skills. Doctors have responsibilities to peruse a wound first, before they make decisions to use one of the methods appropriately to close a wound, or otherwise it may lead to infection.

My 2-year-old nephew had a Dermabond on his nose. Stitches wasn't necessary for him due to a small wound. I can see his tiny scar clearly.

My father had one of his major surgeries. It is not the first time he had staples before. A doctor had to cut open his stomach from left side to right side to install a metal tube inside the tube that connected to the liver. After he was done with it, he stapled it all the way from left side to right side. No doctor wants to stitch it all the way because it would take forever to finish it up. Years later, the scars can be visible and it looks nice better than stitches.

Glue is more common for minor wounds. I once cut my hand while trying to wash dishes. Small cut - quarter inch. Glue worked fine. I had major surgery - cut open from the breastbone down past the navel. That one needed two different kinds of stitches and tape.

So, yeah... medical glue has been around for a while.

Thank you for sharing. I never have get Dermabond before. I had stitches under my chin and small cut on my upper lip when I was baby. I had stitches on my ingrown big toe and my under nose hole from sinus infection, broke the bone and remove the cysts. I am curious how about C section for pregnancy with dermabond or staple?

I never heard of Dermabond before. It's new to me.

On May 5, 1995, I had C Section when I woke up to find the staples on my stomach. I was shocked to see the staples on my stomach in my first time. Few days later, I went back to see a doctor and he took my staples out of my stomach but it was pain little bits. It was not bad.

qzrmsw.jpg
or
jq2mao.jpg
or
20kyexf.jpg

Two years ago my husband stuck a butcher knife into his palm when it slipped while separating frozen meat. He got lots of stiches. I think you only get the dermabond where the skin will move less.

I think C-section is too big for Dermabond.

Actually, Dermabond is the same chemical compnent as Superglue. So you weren't far off. Difference is, Dermabond is a sterile solution.:giggle:

FINE! :mad2: Such a demanding patient!

krazy.jpg

Two years ago my husband stuck a butcher knife into his palm when it slipped while separating frozen meat. He got lots of stiches. I think you only get the dermabond where the skin will move less.

I think C-section is too big for Dermabond.

That's true. Dermabond is for small minor wound. My husband's cut size about quarter with open cut wide about 1/4 inch. Ouch!

I used this glue for my fingernail broke part. It's very seal and stick so hard. It's great for small cut to seal it.

Krazy Glue will seal a cut in the same way that Dermabond does, but I'd be careful using it on an open cut because it is not a sterile solution. You risk a bad infection by using a nonsterile solution.

i had major surgery on my chest from lower neck to my navel when i was kid and did had stitches
and i did had one stitch on my right knee that all

i never had dermabond over cuts

This thread sounds painful!!! :tears:

OHHHH, how I love Dermabond. Can I just say that that has saved the day many times in ER with lacerations on head and face for small children. It is not fun to inject lidocane with epi in face of a kid who is impossible to stay still.....nightmare and scary for me. I keep a lot of dermabond in my first aid kit. Note there are still limitations of dermabond/cyanoacrylate and with deep lacerations always consult physician or visit ER.

I've had upwards of 30 surgeries over my life time. I've always had stitches; never staples or dermabond. I think I would prefer the dermabond over staples, though. Staples sound painful! :laugh2:

Back