Derby race

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, Last weekend My son and I worked on and built his Pinewood Derby Car for the race with Scouts.

Today was race day, after 6 hours he came in First for all races in his Tiger Cubs Class.
He came in second on a few but was still in the lead against the Older scouts ( Wolves, Bears and weblos)

Then there was a glitch ( they were having issues with the timers and finish line trip system all morning trying to set up) couldn't get the projector working and the whole shebang....
So, a car that's been running 3.2 seconds all the sudden jumped to 2.7 ( technical glitch ) but the Leaders didn't address it although several protested it ( more on this in a bit )

So my son ended with 3rd place ( should have been 2nd )
and the second place winner should have been 1st

so really a car should have been eliminated but they overlooked this...

So all in the day after all has raced, the final 4 fast cars were to race for the Ultimate "Fastest In The Pack" and my son Placed 2nd.

NOW.... after all the print outs, they seen that it was true of the glitch but they didn't want to go taking throphys away and giving to the rightful winners. So there were some angry parents due to that glitch.

In all, the boys had fun, my son was happy he got a Throphy ( although cheated out of a rank ) But was a good day. Tomorrow we go to the cemetary to remove Christmas decorations from the Memorials of our fallen soldiers.

I'm not sure if my pinewood derby cars are still around. I remember the tricks from back then, getting the weight right and graphite to reduce wheel friction. I think dad got more out of the first one than me. My second car was much simpler and did better. I remember painting it gold and putting gold ring stickers on it for the Olympics. A bit ironic since that would've been 1980, and we boycotted that summer. I placed third, but it was a pretty small field of maybe 4 troops. I think we did eliminations.

Our church's Awana program for the kids holds an annual derby. The competitions are for racing and for appearance, within age groups.

Amazing what some people can do with a block of wood and four wheels. :D

Our church's Awana program for the kids holds an annual derby. The competitions are for racing and for appearance, within age groups.

Amazing what some people can do with a block of wood and four wheels. :D
Yep, one made a Mach 5 from speed racer, another looked like a dragon head... my son and I are going to work on one over the summer so we have plenty of time to design it.

Back