Depression due to feeling isolated?

Anonymously

Reaction score
I've been hard-of-hearing for all of my life. Moderate to severe. I'm in my mid-twenties now, and I've been feeling "isolated" for a few years now. Before, I did my best to cope but lately it's been harder to deal with it; especially when my hearing partner is always talking with their friends over the phone and going out to loud places. My partner always seems exhausted or disappointed when I'm not enjoying myself in these loud environments. It's hard to make friends or communicate with others. I'm mainly around hearing people. I can't seem to make friends, and a lot of the times hearing people are put off by the accommodations I need, or by how I sound when I talk or simply the situation doesn't benefit for me to socialize in. Not really sure of what else to do. I feel really depressed. I'm not necessarily suicidal but I don't see a point to life when I constantly feel like I don't belong anywhere and I'm always alone. Idk what to do. I was kinda hoping to see if anyone here felt the same way.

I've been hard-of-hearing for all of my life. Moderate to severe. I'm in my mid-twenties now, and I've been feeling "isolated" for a few years now. Before, I did my best to cope but lately it's been harder to deal with it; especially when my hearing partner is always talking with their friends over the phone and going out to loud places. My partner always seems exhausted or disappointed when I'm not enjoying myself in these loud environments. It's hard to make friends or communicate with others. I'm mainly around hearing people. I can't seem to make friends, and a lot of the times hearing people are put off by the accommodations I need, or by how I sound when I talk or simply the situation doesn't benefit for me to socialize in. Not really sure of what else to do. I feel really depressed. I'm not necessarily suicidal but I don't see a point to life when I constantly feel like I don't belong anywhere and I'm always alone. Idk what to do. I was kinda hoping to see if anyone here felt the same way.

Sorry you're feeling this way. I'm sure this is very common among hard of hearing folks. It seems like it's a lifestyle thing. Maybe you need to try quieter activities so you can get more out of it like art or craft classes, hiking or something that doesn't have a lot of background noises. Table top gaming is popular as well. I find more hand on activities makes it better than just group chatting and lectures.

Find out if there is an hard of hearing support group you could go to. Or take up American Sign Language classes at community colleges and find a nearby sources for deaf/hard of hearing people.

Also if you have a smartphone maybe try out this app Google Live Transcribe (Android phones only right now) as it does voice recognition and literally captions people talk. It was helpful for me in a quiet class but not if it will work in loud environments. There are other voice to text apps as well. It's not perfect but it does help me take understand what's going on. :).

Message me if you like a chat.
Remember you're not alone !
Cheers
Annie

I used to be same way I was isolated from the time i was 17 years old till i was 21 that was when parents let me out. yeah that when I graduated from h.s but mom kinda of forced me to get a job but she thought it will get better but still worse till now but it's near my home i can't complain but right now I'm happy I am college student and so on.. but I am still living with parents but my advice don't let anyone put you down just *nod* at them :) once you focus on what u want to do u will feel better when u accomplish something tho..

Sorry you're feeling this way. I'm sure this is very common among hard of hearing folks. It seems like it's a lifestyle thing. Maybe you need to try quieter activities so you can get more out of it like art or craft classes, hiking or something that doesn't have a lot of background noises. Table top gaming is popular as well. I find more hand on activities makes it better than just group chatting and lectures.

Find out if there is an hard of hearing support group you could go to. Or take up American Sign Language classes at community colleges and find a nearby sources for deaf/hard of hearing people.

Also if you have a smartphone maybe try out this app Google Live Transcribe (Android phones only right now) as it does voice recognition and literally captions people talk. It was helpful for me in a quiet class but not if it will work in loud environments. There are other voice to text apps as well. It's not perfect but it does help me take understand what's going on. :).

Message me if you like a chat.
Remember you're not alone !
Cheers
Annie
You’re right; I’ll look into picking up ASL again. I used to sign a bit as a kid. Maybe it is just a lifestyle thing and I need to actually make a lifestyle change for once now that I am an adult living away from my parents. And thanks, I may take up on the opportunity to chat when I can. Thanks again. :)

I used to be same way I was isolated from the time i was 17 years old till i was 21 that was when parents let me out. yeah that when I graduated from h.s but mom kinda of forced me to get a job but she thought it will get better but still worse till now but it's near my home i can't complain but right now I'm happy I am college student and so on.. but I am still living with parents but my advice don't let anyone put you down just *nod* at them :) once you focus on what u want to do u will feel better when u accomplish something tho..
Thank you for the advice, I need to figure out on what I wanna focus on. :)

Back