denied sign support 4 education

inmate23

Reaction score
Hi

Workbridge (VR) think i need to go back to education fine i cant hear in a classroom (with hearing aids on). can i please have sign support. no too oral

Fight for your rights to have an interpreter. I am serious. Get in their face about it without flying off the handle.

Otherwise, if you don't have high literacy skills, I am talking about five to six grades ahead of what is expected for an average person your age, and a desire to survive, it is hard to meet the needs of the education system and go to a post-secondary school of your choosing.

souggy just echoed my thoughts.

Make sure you inform your caseworker that you have a right to accessibility via interpreter otherwise you'll not benefit from the full education that you have a right to.

Who are they to judge that you are "too oral?" That's outrageous.

At the college where I interpret, it's up to the student disabilities office counselors to arrange for interpreters. It's not up to VR. I've interpreted for very oral students, some with CI's. If the student felt that he or she needed a classroom terp, he or she got one.

Keep pushing.

BTW, if you're "deaf enough" to be eligible for VR services, then you're "deaf enough" to get a terp (or CART, or FM system, or whatever works for you).

Hi

The VR deaf coordatior chick who is also the president of the local deaf club. Anyway its her job to say yes to going ahead funding applations and then the managers ask her whether or not to fund sign support.

Its sad system when from my understanding 1 person basically makes the call.

Hi

The VR deaf coordatior chick who is also the president of the local deaf club. Anyway its her job to say yes to going ahead funding applations and then the managers ask her whether or not to fund sign support.

Its sad system when from my understanding 1 person basically makes the call.
So she's deaf? Does she have a bias against "oral" deaf clients? :hmm:

Maybe you can appeal her decision by going to her supervisor, up the chain of command.

That is a very different set up from our college. Our college makes its own decisions. In fact, one of the college counselors used to be a VR counselor but quit because of agency "politics."

Hi

Am wondering what she meant about workbridge asking u to go back to class and saying u cant have intepreter im sure u got it all wrong as i have always been so successful in getting an interpreter for my courses etc because i have to fill in a form that strongly shows what my NEEDS are and not my Want.

If you applied for funding to get what u NEED u need to write every details of what is needed to be successful in class to graduated but by the sound of this it seems like u havent actually done ur research properly or fill in the form correctly to support ur needs.

If you quit whining and get out and check ur fact first before u moan in here as u could get caught for it.

Another thing i doubt that she is a president of the local club and it really doesnt lie with her to make the decisions it the decisions of the board at
Workbridge to think where the funding are allocated for the right reasons.
Like i said again check ur fact it written clearly in the application process and if you have a problem with ur case manager then go back to workbridge and ask for a new case manager simple as that. That all i have to say!

Sasha gave you excellent advice and if I can give you one tip, try to use another name of an agency so this said agency will not do a google search of their own agency.

Nowadays workplaces do google searches on their employers so it's in your best bet to do a "ghost" agency so no one at your said agency will suspect anything.

Reba gave excellent advice as well. A well respected Deaf leader will keep boundaries apart and not show personal judgment between two agencies.

Hi

Because of the job market at moment workbridge think that going back to school will be the best thing at the moment.

If I go into volunteer work workbrigde cant hep me because of the "polcyies"

Contact advocacy programs in your state. You need legal help.

Back