Declaration of Occupy Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the occupiers suggest as solutions to their grievances?

That bankers follow and uphold the laws. Click on the link I posted and you will see what they want.
So they want more enforcement of current banking laws?

How to do that? Stricter enforcement and control by government agencies? Changing the hearts of bankers?

How to do that? Stricter enforcement and control by government agencies? Changing the hearts of bankers?

What do you suggest, that they put away the signs and slink away? Status quo?

Why bother to have laws if they are not enforced. Remember the illegal immigrant problem; the Conservatives want tighter laws. We should enforce immigration laws, but not financial ones?

I know, you are not saying any of that. Just want to get some folks to think a bit.

Have you ever seen a financial pie chart? The more money one acrrues, the less another person gets. Yeah, greed HURTS people.

Yes, stricter regulations and more enforcements of the laws. Right now, Obama's administration is not doing a very good job of compelling the bankers to uphold their end of the deal and they are finally getting around to penalizing them.

What do you suggest, that they put away the signs and slink away? Status quo?
I suggest that they do something constructive.

They are the ones out there on the streets, so I assume they want us informed about what they believe and do. If they have a plan, let's hear it.

Why bother to have laws if they are not enforced. Remember the illegal immigrant problem; the Conservatives want tighter laws. We should enforce immigration laws, but not financial ones?
Why not enforce all laws?

If the laws themselves aren't good, then remove or amend them. Then, enforce the laws that are left.

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who said that the best way to repeal a bad law is by enforcing it strictly?

I suggest that they do something constructive.

They are the ones out there on the streets, so I assume they want us informed about what they believe and do. If they have a plan, let's hear it.

Why not enforce all laws?

If the laws themselves aren't good, then remove or amend them. Then, enforce the laws that are left.

That's what occupy wall street wants - enforcement of the laws and to hold bankers accountable for fraudulent activities.

hahaha....oh god. you call occupy wall street "lovely people" then point out one single person who shat on a police car - that's it? the protest has been peaceful and the only violence that happened was done by the police. it's not as though protesters are attacking the police, it's more like they are reacting to how the police were treating them.

one person shitting on a car pales in comparison to what Wall Street did to America.

Not much point to a protest if it doesn't create a stir.

While I think that's a bit crass to shit on a car - even a police car, this pales beside the abuses of Wall Street and the banks. This is nothing more than a distraction from the real issues at hand which is the the rampant fraud of the banks.(and a whole bunch of others issues) I guess some people just want to to point to the behavior of a few protesters in an attempt to uphold the statue quo - no matter how dysfunctional it is. It's likely it will be years before Wall street and the banks regain the trust of Americans - much like the 30s and the 40s of the last century.

I don't know why considering the effects of quantitative easing is "kooky," but I'm going to leave those details to the pros. Prof. Roubini and Paul Krugman have written extensively on the economic crisis. The former is highly regarded because he "predicted" the crisis; the latter is more readable and easier to understand.

hahaha....oh god. you call occupy wall street "lovely people" then point out one single person who shat on a police car - that's it? the protest has been peaceful and the only violence that happened was done by the police. it's not as though protesters are attacking the police, it's more like they are reacting to how the police were treating them.

one person shitting on a car pales in comparison to what Wall Street did to America.

Not much point to a protest if it doesn't create a stir.

I've seen the videos of the police brutality going on here. If there is any violence on the part of the protestors, it is 100% self defense. The cops are lucky they haven't provoked an all out riot here, but that's the direction they're headed.

I've seen the videos of the police brutality going on here. If there is any violence on the part of the protestors, it is 100% self defense. The cops are lucky they haven't provoked an all out riot here, but that's the direction they're headed.

I wonder if the police is trying to provoke riots so they can discredit the protesters?

I wonder if the police is trying to provoke riots so they can discredit the protesters?

I highly doubt the police really care one way or another about the issues the protesters are protesting. Most likely a few (small percentage) police officers are going too far to enforce the laws and civil order. With emotions running high, it doesn't take much to ignite tensions and suddenly people are screaming and people start getting hurt. Remember, police officers are people too and may become fearful of their own lives. This is why it's important to show the police (and the public) that you are not a threat to them. The more civil the group, the less likely the police will feel threatened. As long as the police are not the target of the protest, then everyone should respect the police and let them do their job.

I highly doubt the police really care one way or another about the issues the protesters are protesting. Most likely a few (small percentage) police officers are going too far to enforce the laws and civil order. With emotions running high, it doesn't take much to ignite tensions and suddenly people are screaming and people start getting hurt. Remember, police officers are people too and may become fearful of their own lives. This is why it's important to show the police (and the public) that you are not a threat to them. The more civil the group, the less likely the police will feel threatened. As long as the police are not the target of the protest, then everyone should respect the police and let them do their job.

I have my doubts but I hope you're right.

Given the rhetoric of much - if not all of the 1%-they'd find in their interest to use the police to discredit the protesters or even use the police or even the miltary to incite violence against the protesters. It has happened in the past. Kent State, anybody? Hmm, what about Bull Connor? It goes back even further than that. Then there's the case of the Suffrage movement[url] in 1916 and 1917; suffragists who picked the White House were jailed and then force fed at the Occoquan workhouse, a prison in Virginia. Let's not forget the early Black civil rights movment and the fact that [url="http://www.naacp.org/pages/naacp-history"]NAACP was founded partly in response to black lynchings and the 1908Springfield, Illinos race riot. I have no doubt that many of these early NAACP were harrassed by the police and in most of the South it was legal to lynch blacks. This post woudln't be complete with out a history of violence vs unions. People have been killed while on strike as early as 1851. It was the state miltia that killed those protesters.

We've a protest in atlanta, occupy atlanta and I'd go if I didn't want to lose my job because I got arrested.

I need to reflect a professional appearence and it just would not look good if I were on the news getting arrested and it came out where I worked in the news as well.

:)

100% self defense :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back