Decision is Made

CreatedNat- it sounds like you're a good mom. I'm glad you've been able to connect with other parents who have been through the process. It's up to you of course, to weigh out the pros and cons of each brand, and determine what sounds the best for you and your daughter. Although I will say that it does make sense for you both to have the same brand, so long as it fits both your needs.

Do you sign with them?

CreatedNat- it sounds like you're a good mom. I'm glad you've been able to connect with other parents who have been through the process. It's up to you of course, to weigh out the pros and cons of each brand, and determine what sounds the best for you and your daughter. Although I will say that it does make sense for you both to have the same brand, so long as it fits both your needs.

Do you sign with them?

Thank you for that! and Yes, I do sign with both of my girls, my King and I decided before we were wed that we would sign with our children, though at that time we were expecting to have all hearing children. I am deaf and was given ASL as a child, after my parents found out about my deafness, but was also given Hearing Aids and Speech Therapy so I could easily interact with the hearing world around me. Now looking at it, it does make sense for for both of us to have the same brand, but I don't know that medel would work very well for children. I need to speak with my husband about everything, but there is a possibility that I will go with the Cochlear brand. I still have a bit of time before I have to tell the surgeon what I have decided, so my King and I will pray over it, I am sure that God will lead us to the correct decision.

yeah, the surgeon definitely has the most experience with Cochlear's devices, but he did a great job getting my AB implant in. He has done a LOT of implant surgeries over the years.

As for what comes with the implant, pft a lot of stuffs! Batteries, recharger, color covers/caps, cables/cords, extra ear hooks, drier kit (Zypher, AB includes a Zypher with the Neptune, and CA includes a zypher in their kit, don't know about Med El), etc. You'll end up with a box full of things for your implant(s). And Rocky Mountain is a 2 processor center, so you may end up with 2 sets of everything.

that is wonderful to know!! Why do they give you a second set of the processors? Just in case something fails? Does that also mean that I would get two of the Zyphers?

If your children have role models for ASL and speech, there will be no problem and they will grow up with many languages.
For us, we didn't have a role model for ASL once both of us are hearing. We focused on speaking Dutch at home and Norwegian outside the house..
We do have a feeling that progress would have been quicker with Dutch or Norwegian only, but that was not an option.

Lotte was 2+ when she started to hear. You daughter won't have that disadvantage..
ASL and speech.. Powerful combination..

If your children have role models for ASL and speech, there will be no problem and they will grow up with many languages.
For us, we didn't have a role model for ASL once both of us are hearing. We focused on speaking Dutch at home and Norwegian outside the house..
We do have a feeling that progress would have been quicker with Dutch or Norwegian only, but that was not an option.

Lotte was 2+ when she started to hear. You daughter won't have that disadvantage..
ASL and speech.. Powerful combination..

In your immediate family.. How many people use ASL?

In my immediate family, meaning my husband, myself and my daughters, all of us (my princesses are learning so quickly). My husband is hearing and is not fluent, but he is getting better. As for my parents and my siblings, all of them do as well. They learned so they could communicate with me at all times, with or without my Hearing Aids. My older Brothers, who are 8 and 6 years older than I am, are signing with their children as well. My Oldest Brother, has a 3 year old son who is HoH, moderate loss, and he signs up a storm! My older sister, who is 3 years old than me, is expecting her first child any day now, and has told me that she will also sign with her children. This is no surprise for me, because Noreen is married to a HoH man and she is also an Interpreter now. My younger brother and sister, they have no children, but sign. My husbands family is learning, we have actually created a class at the church, (my father in law is the Minister there) so more people are able to communicate with ease.

I am happy your daughter is also bilingual, but out of curiosity, why was it not an option to do only one?

I am still very new. But currently my Ally has Hearing Aids, and yes, we are discussing it, and yes, it will happen... but that does not mean that it should be moved right now.

Also, if anything that has to do with a child with, or who is going to get a CI should be in the Parents of Deaf Children with CI thread, does that mean that there should also be one for Parents of Deaf Children with HA's thread? where people would have to discuss that? I do not feel this is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is wonderful to know!! Why do they give you a second set of the processors? Just in case something fails? Does that also mean that I would get two of the Zyphers?

I think different clinics have different policies about this, but we got 2 sets of each Freedom (and we were upgraded to N5s after a couple of years, so we have 6 working, mapped processors), although we only have 3 dry and store boxes: 1 for each side for her freedoms, and then a new one (only one) came with the N5s.

Some people keep the second set boxed for the future. We've alternated: one set pink, one black, and she chose the color she wanted in the morning. We also used our 'back-up' set frequently in her first year: there was an issue with the long cords that connected between the coil and the processor, and the cords (even right out of the box) kept wreaking havoc on her processors, so we went through 3 processors in a matter of 2 months before Cochlear identified a bad batch of cords as the culprits. That was 4 years ago, and after replacing that faulty set of cords we've never had that happen since. But we were glad to have a back-up in hand not only to use if a processor went on the fritz, but also to use to troubleshoot problems. We could swap out components to see what combination caused issues, and to see if one processor sounded different to my daughter than the other. When we go in for mappings, we carry a whole batch of processors, and the audi just lays in each program on the whole set.

I think different clinics have different policies about this, but we got 2 sets of each Freedom (and we were upgraded to N5s after a couple of years, so we have 6 working, mapped processors), although we only have 3 dry and store boxes: 1 for each side for her freedoms, and then a new one (only one) came with the N5s.

Some people keep the second set boxed for the future. We've alternated: one set pink, one black, and she chose the color she wanted in the morning. We also used our 'back-up' set frequently in her first year: there was an issue with the long cords that connected between the coil and the processor, and the cords (even right out of the box) kept wreaking havoc on her processors, so we went through 3 processors in a matter of 2 months before Cochlear identified a bad batch of cords as the culprits. That was 4 years ago, and after replacing that faulty set of cords we've never had that happen since. But we were glad to have a back-up in hand not only to use if a processor went on the fritz, but also to use to troubleshoot problems. We could swap out components to see what combination caused issues, and to see if one processor sounded different to my daughter than the other. When we go in for mappings, we carry a whole batch of processors, and the audi just lays in each program on the whole set.

that is very good to know. Thank you. I do have a question, for both Cloggy and Grendel, as well as for cdmeggers. How do you keep the CI on a child who is so small? And for cdmeggers (I am so sorry if i am spelling it wrong) does the processor itself hurt behind the ear? I am worried that after the surgery, it would hurt the incision site.

In my immediate family, meaning my husband, myself and my daughters, all of us (my princesses are learning so quickly). My husband is hearing and is not fluent, but he is getting better. As for my parents and my siblings, all of them do as well. They learned so they could communicate with me at all times, with or without my Hearing Aids. My older Brothers, who are 8 and 6 years older than I am, are signing with their children as well. My Oldest Brother, has a 3 year old son who is HoH, moderate loss, and he signs up a storm! My older sister, who is 3 years old than me, is expecting her first child any day now, and has told me that she will also sign with her children. This is no surprise for me, because Noreen is married to a HoH man and she is also an Interpreter now. My younger brother and sister, they have no children, but sign. My husbands family is learning, we have actually created a class at the church, (my father in law is the Minister there) so more people are able to communicate with ease.

I am happy your daughter is also bilingual, but out of curiosity, why was it not an option to do only one?

That's great that most of your family knows how to sign. That is a huge benefit for you and your girls. :)

When is your next appointment?

CreatedNat,

I have the AB CI right now. so I am talking from that experience. Each of the three companies (AB, Cochlear, MedEl) have advantages and disadvantages.

MedEl is a lot more prevalent in Europe where they are the number one Implanted device. AB is the top in the U.S.

MedEl's only advantage is the length of the electrode in the Cochlea. The thinking behind this is this allows stimulation of a greater length of the Cochlea then the other two companies. This should shorten the learning curve for people that are already used to hearing sounds and speech.

AB's advantage is they are arguably the most technologically advanced of the three CI companies. But don't worry, Cochlear is right behind them and will probably jump past AB in the near future. Another advantage is the AB Nucleus is certified for swimming. not just water resistant, but designed to be worn while swimming underwater.

Cochlear is right in the middle of the three companies. They are a sound company with a solid product. they take longer to adopt new technology which probably makes them the most reliable of the three. They are best compared with AB in terms of the internal components and compared best with MedEl for the external components. Cochlear also has better options for people with two implants.

Since I have real life experience with AB, I can best talk about how AB is the better of the three companies. I have talked with a lot of people that have AB and Cochlear implants and my finding is that both companies provide a high degree of access to speech and general hearing. I cannot tell which of the two people do better with as what I could see seems to be pretty much the same. For me, the choice came down to the technology as I felt that AB was the most advanced and had the most room to grow (this was 7 years ago and recently AB released a new programming to improve hearing speech in noisy environments).

Regardless of the implant you choose, your individual results will depend first on the success of the implantation, and second on your willingness to work. Hearing with a CI is completely different from hearing with a hearing aid. Be prepare to really work hard the first year, and if you continue to practice you should see improvements through your third year.

Feel free to PM me if you have personal questions.

That's great that most of your family knows how to sign. That is a huge benefit for you and your girls. :)

When is your next appointment?

it is a huge benefit for us! My nephew loves that his Ally has ears just like his... and understands that she can't hear him, even with her ears on.
My next appointment is on the 25th... so just 11 days away. That is when I should be able to schedule surgery!

Ally has her CT scan on June 4th and her appointment with the Surgeon on June 11th. Hopefully, I will be able to have my surgery before her appointments... and be activated by the time of her appointments (as few trips to Denver as possible would be so wonderful!) and Then I will also be able to know what to expect for her.

CreatedNat,

I have the AB CI right now. so I am talking from that experience. Each of the three companies (AB, Cochlear, MedEl) have advantages and disadvantages.

MedEl is a lot more prevalent in Europe where they are the number one Implanted device. AB is the top in the U.S.

MedEl's only advantage is the length of the electrode in the Cochlea. The thinking behind this is this allows stimulation of a greater length of the Cochlea then the other two companies. This should shorten the learning curve for people that are already used to hearing sounds and speech.

AB's advantage is they are arguably the most technologically advanced of the three CI companies. But don't worry, Cochlear is right behind them and will probably jump past AB in the near future. Another advantage is the AB Nucleus is certified for swimming. not just water resistant, but designed to be worn while swimming underwater.

Cochlear is right in the middle of the three companies. They are a sound company with a solid product. they take longer to adopt new technology which probably makes them the most reliable of the three. They are best compared with AB in terms of the internal components and compared best with MedEl for the external components. Cochlear also has better options for people with two implants.

Since I have real life experience with AB, I can best talk about how AB is the better of the three companies. I have talked with a lot of people that have AB and Cochlear implants and my finding is that both companies provide a high degree of access to speech and general hearing. I cannot tell which of the two people do better with as what I could see seems to be pretty much the same. For me, the choice came down to the technology as I felt that AB was the most advanced and had the most room to grow (this was 7 years ago and recently AB released a new programming to improve hearing speech in noisy environments).

Regardless of the implant you choose, your individual results will depend first on the success of the implantation, and second on your willingness to work. Hearing with a CI is completely different from hearing with a hearing aid. Be prepare to really work hard the first year, and if you continue to practice you should see improvements through your third year.

Feel free to PM me if you have personal questions.

What I am concerned about with the AB is that they have had so many recalls, I am interested in both of us being able to have the implant for as long as possible, and not have to have it replaced over and over.
How is hearing with the CI different? How much work was it? I know that my princess and I will both be fine, but I am just interested in how much work it is. I do have questions... which I will soon ask (what does PM mean?)

sometimes it's just good to have a back up processor. So if your first one isn't working right, you can send it in to have it fixed and you still have a back up to use, so you don't miss anything! And with the extra supplies at your hand, if something is wrong, you can swap cables or headpieces to see if one of those is the issue too, cause if not then it's possibly the processor. As for 2 Zyphers, I'm not sure actually, but you could ask. Ask the CI center, or contact the manufacturer to get feedback from them on what's included in the kit. I'm only most familiar with AB.

As for hearing with the implant, at first it is very different. But it varies from person to person. Some people can hear and understand speech right off the bat at activation (voices just sound different, more electronic or mickey-mouse like, etc.), for others it takes quite a while to make sense of everything. For myself, it may take up to 2 years for me to really make sense of sounds and speech, because I haven't had hearing in the left ear for so long. Right now everything sounds electronic. I can hear speech, but it's all electronic sounding and just weird haha. But the brain will figure things out and make the connections, and over time everything will start to sound more "normal".

AB has had quite a few recalls, but from my knowledge, they've been pretty quick to do a voluntary recall and get the problems taken cared of (the most latest one, only 2 implantees were affected but have since gotten their implants replaced and are doing better). I have spoken with a few AB folks who still have the very first AB internal implant device, no problems, and that's nearly 15 or 20 years with that specific AB implant. All implant manufacturers have had their recalls and problems. It's a man-made product, there is always going to be that possibility of failure with any of them. Just like with a computer or any other machines or electronics. All you can do is hope for the best and do what you can with whichever device you choose.

What I am concerned about with the AB is that they have had so many recalls, I am interested in both of us being able to have the implant for as long as possible, and not have to have it replaced over and over.
How is hearing with the CI different? How much work was it? I know that my princess and I will both be fine, but I am just interested in how much work it is. I do have questions... which I will soon ask (what does PM mean?)

PM - private message
Go to your profile (User CP) and on the left hand side, down a ways, you'll see Send a Message. Click this and for the "to" start typing Cheetah and his name should come up. Then type your message and send it.

PM means private message. click on my name and choose to send me a private message.

I think Cochlear is currently in a recall. I have no info on MedEl. I talked an expert on CI's and basically he said that the recalls are the result of leakage... not leaking into the body, but the body fluid leaking into the device. The smaller these devices the greater the problem with leakage. I have no statistics on which company has more recalls than another company. But it it helps any, AB had two documented failures and recalled the entire line (although it was a voluntary recall, I suspect it would have been mandatory had they not stepped up and taken responsibility).

A good review of the 3 companies, their products, the recalls, and other issues can be found here: http://cochlearimplantonline.com/si.../2012/01/The-History-of-Cochlear-Implants.pdf
This document is slightly dated as it does not contain the current products that are available today, but it does give a really good historical review of the companies and their products.

Mod note:

Let's make it clear here... the OP states that she is Deaf and so is her child. She is considering to get CI for herself and her child.

The Parents of Deaf Children subforum categorizes for Hearing Parents with Deaf Children. This is a separate issue here and again, the OP is deaf and states that SHE is considering to get CI as well as her child.

Therefore, this subforum is the correct place to start a thread.

Thank you.

the processors might hurt your ears after the surgery. The center generally does activation at 2 weeks after surgery, so the ear(s) may still be sensitive/tender. The BTE definitely made my ear hurt, but I was able to switch to the Neptune off the ear processor so I didn't have anything on the ear for a while. But when the incision heals more, then it's not as bothersome to wear the BTE. It depends on which implant processor you get. AB's Harmony, with the Plus powercell battery, it tends to be a bit heavy on the ear. Cochlear and Med-El have lighter weight BTE's I think?

the processors might hurt your ears after the surgery. The center generally does activation at 2 weeks after surgery, so the ear(s) may still be sensitive/tender. The BTE definitely made my ear hurt, but I was able to switch to the Neptune off the ear processor so I didn't have anything on the ear for a while. But when the incision heals more, then it's not as bothersome to wear the BTE. It depends on which implant processor you get. AB's Harmony, with the Plus powercell battery, it tends to be a bit heavy on the ear. Cochlear and Med-El have lighter weight BTE's I think?

I think I read in some thread that Cloggy's family came up with a way for his daughter to wear the same ones either on the ear or clipped to the shoulder of a garment.

Back