Dealing with Family Help

MomofmanyKidlets

Reaction score
I explained to my mother that I was looking at hearing aids one day when she called me. She got all serious and asked me who needed them. I said I do this was followed by a snicker and full out laugh from her. I suppose I should have hung up and I really wish I had. She then teasingly asked me if I had been slapped in the ears to much :shock:. This was followed by another comment that at this point I stopped listening. I should have hung up then but well I didn't. She told me that the doctors had wanted to put tubes in my ears like my brothers got and she didn't want to do it so she didn't. This I already knew because my ENT said that I would have half my trouble had this been done. :shock: So even though I have proof in my hand I begin to doubt test results because of my mother. I tell my husband I need support I am feeling insecure and upset. He responds by saying I don't know I am not a doctor. Not one my friends I have told understand in-fact most didn't know I needed a hearing aid and are surprised. So at the moment I feel so very alone.

I got to wonder about your family's reaction have you had a history of complaining about health problems? I would understand your family if you keep making up issues like a hypochondriac.

And how severe is your hearing loss? Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves or missing out on sounds? If no, then you might be overreacting.

Still, it's not a pleasant situation and maybe it just takes time to get over this.

I do not have a history of complaining of health problems that where not valid. I had five broken arms as a kid, two cracked ribs,(played football with my brothers) needed glasses at seven and have worn them ever since, bifocals at 16. I had a doctor who said my foot pain at age ten was in my head to my parents so for twenty years I complained of foot pain at age 30 they discovered that for 20 years I have been walking grinding my middle joint bones in my foot together. So that in short is my medical history. As for hearing I constantly hear wrong words, ask people to repeat things all the time and I use closed caption on the t.v. or I don't watch because I can't follow what they say. I also think people mumble a lot. I have a huge problem with self doubt.

Get all your medical advice for medical professionals and don't share your physical problems with your family. Sadly, you realize by now, that you do NOT get the support from them that you crave, so don't torture yourself trying to get it from them. You'll only be disappointed.

Get all your medical advice for medical professionals and don't share your physical problems with your family. Sadly, you realize by now, that you do NOT get the support from them that you crave, so don't torture yourself trying to get it from them. You'll only be disappointed.
What I need to do but its hard :roll:

I'm 34 years old and my mother still doesn't completely understand my hearing loss and she still thinks that all I need is to put my hearing aids on and I'll be able to hear her perfectly.

You've done all you can to explain your situation and it's up to them to understand and make accommodations. If they just won't get it then it's time to start avoiding them and if they say why are you ignoring me, well just explain your situation.

It should only matter how your husband and you deal with this. That's the important thing.

What I need to do but its hard :roll:

I really think your mother is a jerk to had talk to you that way , and from what you said about her she should be the last person to talk about getting HA. In other words whatever your mother said it not worth listening to. I realize this is your mother , but she does not know how to be a mother and never will.

Have you gone to see an audiology for the hearing test. If she/he think that you need HA then go for it. there is nothing to be ashamed of it. It is your life and your decision.

Back