Deafs be allowed to marry?

I am deaf and I am married to my deaf wife, problem?

I am hearing, so the deaf posters might think I have no place to say anything, but I believe everyone is being extremely hard on this girl. Why not just take the opportunity to provide a definitive answer to her question and explain your answer, instead of criticizing her, for something of which she has no control over. I just had to write and Explanatory Synthesis (4-6 paragraphs and minimum 500 words in length) about the debate of whether or not ghosts are real, and I could only use 2 specific articles from and Opposing Viewpoints database at my school's library. I personally don't see how her questions are offensive, I think that by having a hearing student delve into the ideas behind those questions, can be very helpful in allowing the student to better understand the deaf perspective on cultural issues of both past and present. I think all of you who are being rather mean to her, should just stop and and answer her questions with straightforward answers. By treating her the way some have on here, you are in essence becoming the exact people who have treated you bad. There are no double standards, this is a free, open forum, and everyone has the right to post questions. I could understand being upset and offended if she post something like, "I think deaf people should not be allowed to marry other deaf people. AND. I think deaf people should not be allowed to have kids if they could know that their child would be deaf." ( now do not jump my throat, I'm just giving an example of an offensive statement.) How are hearing people supposed to know what the opinions of deaf people are if when they ask questions they are treated in this manner. I also had to write a journal entry about an essay that said TORTURE should be legal in certain situations in the justice system, the essay was from a long time ago, and our teacher asked use to consider that essay if it had been written in this day in time or how it relates to today, and if we agreed with the opinion of the author.

I'm sorry, I find this topic to be very offensive.

Perhaps they should have topic on "Why hearing people are so closed minded, and ignorant with Deaf community?" instead? That would be more appropriate topic, eh?

Hey, OP if you want better grade, think outside of the box. If I were you and got this offensive assignment, I would go extreme and write essay on how closed minded hearing people are on Deafness. Do it right and it will get on Professor think twice about creating offensive assignments toward minority of any kind.

I am hearing, so the deaf posters might think I have no place to say anything, but I believe everyone is being extremely hard on this girl. Why not just take the opportunity to provide a definitive answer to her question and explain your answer, instead of criticizing her, for something of which she has no control over. I just had to write and Explanatory Synthesis (4-6 paragraphs and minimum 500 words in length) about the debate of whether or not ghosts are real, and I could only use 2 specific articles from and Opposing Viewpoints database at my school's library. I personally don't see how her questions are offensive, I think that by having a hearing student delve into the ideas behind those questions, can be very helpful in allowing the student to better understand the deaf perspective on cultural issues of both past and present. I think all of you who are being rather mean to her, should just stop and and answer her questions with straightforward answers. By treating her the way some have on here, you are in essence becoming the exact people who have treated you bad. There are no double standards, this is a free, open forum, and everyone has the right to post questions. I could understand being upset and offended if she post something like, "I think deaf people should not be allowed to marry other deaf people. AND. I think deaf people should not be allowed to have kids if they could know that their child would be deaf." ( now do not jump my throat, I'm just giving an example of an offensive statement.) How are hearing people supposed to know what the opinions of deaf people are if when they ask questions they are treated in this manner. I also had to write a journal entry about an essay that said TORTURE should be legal in certain situations in the justice system, the essay was from a long time ago, and our teacher asked use to consider that essay if it had been written in this day in time or how it relates to today, and if we agreed with the opinion of the author.

well She could have said, " i know this question is bizarre but that is what I got assigned by my teacher. So please do not take it offensive when I ask question, so my name is la la la . I am taking ASL class because LALALALA then SO please be bare with me when I ask the ridilcious questions. SO here there you go, should hearing people be allowed to marry hearing people? Should be hearing parents allow to produce the baby and the result they would have hearing baby. ?" instead of flat out asking a direct question with cold heart. She needs to think more that we are human, just like her. If she thinks question is nothing then she needs to know what we were telling her in order to wake her up like its a wake up call. whats more dont you realize that for over years, i am not saying 10 yrs or 100 yrs they all ask the same question over and over thereofre my heart become numb. Teachers are the one who should tell the students about how important the questions need to be considered reasonable instead of asking us like we are in the rat lab. :ugh3: So

lastly, I am not teacher or mother to teach hearing people for the rest of my life, except my darling hearing kiddos.

This is still not appropriate approach anyway. I learned the hard way from my former supervisor. He made me realize that it is STILL offensive even if one said not intended to be offensive. It is like if I talk with you, and I said "I don't mean to be offensive but your downright ugly". How can this be unoffensive? Because he made point out to me, I realize that it is STILL offensive even if I said I don't mean it, so it is best not say anything that may be offensive anyway.

well She could have said, " i know this question is bizarre but that is what I got assigned by my teacher. So please do not take it offensive when I ask question, so my name is la la la . I am taking ASL class because LALALALA then SO please be bare with me when I ask the ridilcious questions. SO here there you go, should hearing people be allowed to marry hearing people? Should be hearing parents allow to produce the baby and the result they would have hearing baby. ?" instead of flat out asking a direct question with cold heart. She needs to think more that we are human, just like her. whats more dont you realize that for over years, i am not saying 10 yrs or 100 yrs they all ask the same question over and over thereofre my heart become numb. Teachers are the one who should tell the students about how important the questions need to be considered reasonable instead of asking us like we are in the rat lab. :ugh3: So

lastly, I am not teacher or mother to teach hearing people for the rest of my life, except my darling hearing kiddos.

This is still not appropriate approach anyway. I learned the hard way from my former supervisor. He made me realize that it is STILL offensive even if one said not intended to be offensive. It is like if I talk with you, and I said "I don't mean to be offensive but your downright ugly". How can this be unoffensive? Because he made point out to me. I realize that it is STILL offensive even if I said I don't mean it, so it is best not say anything that may be offensive anyway.

I am sorry. :ugh3: Any students need to explain why they are required to ask question or got assigned by teachers then ask questions. We might reply differently due to considered reasonable questions. Just use common sense about it.

but i know lot of hearing people still make fun of deafies anyway. lol

Really it is still not necessary to explain why offensive have to be made in the first place. Think positive, then will get positive results, thinking negative will get negative results.

Supposed I am at Gally, and a ignorant Deaf professor wants me to write essays on how idiot hearing people are and make me go out and do research on how idiot hearing people are, image that I said to hearing people on public forum "I don't mean to be offensive, why you hearing people are that idiot?" Would that still be appropriate? The answer is right there.

I am sorry. :ugh3: Any students need to explain why they are required to ask question or got assigned by teachers then ask questions. We might reply differently due to considered reasonable questions.

but i know lot of hearing people still make fun of deafies anyway. lol

Really it is still not necessary to explain why offensive have to be made in the first place. Think positive, then will get positive results, thinking negative will get negative results.

Supposed I am at Gally, and a ignorant Deaf professor wants Deaf student to write essays on how idiot hearing people are and make them go out and do research on how idiot hearing people are, image Deaf student said "I don't mean to be offensive, why you hearing people are that idiot?" Would that still be appropriate? The answer is right there.

Im sure that OP really appreciates you. :)

:hmm:

1. Should hearing people be allowed to marry other hearing people?
2. Should hearing people be allowed to reproduce if they know that their children will be hearing?

:dunno2:

How strange is that my both parents are hearing. So I was born Deaf. . :hmm:

And both my parents are hearing and I am HOH!

How is it "evil" to ask a question? There is much controversy about this topic and I am writing that deaf people should be allowed to remarry.

Do realize what you are asking us?? You are asking if it is OK for Deaf to
'REMARRY'! You had just answered your own question!

This doesn't mean this person's assignment is bogus. I had a linguistics teacher that said because my speech was so good, I should be able to hear everything my peers did if I wanted to pass the course. And she had a P.hD. You should have seen the disability liaison, I think her jaw hit the ground.

Laura
I was in a similar situation myself when I was in college. I had a writing assignment for an ethics class. It was a 10-page paper.

The teacher called me in and asked if I had help on my paper... if my mom helped me... a tutor helped me... a friend helped me... a teacher helped me... etc.

Apparently, my writing was so good that it was better than the hearing students' papers.

What she didn't know was that I grew up with a mom who has two degrees in English (and is an English teacher at 3 different colleges). That's where I got my writing skills from. (Boy, my mom was STRICT with my writing skills.)

well She could have said, " i know this question is bizarre but that is what I got assigned by my teacher. So please do not take it offensive when I ask question, so my name is la la la . I am taking ASL class because LALALALA then SO please be bare with me when I ask the ridilcious questions. SO here there you go, should hearing people be allowed to marry hearing people? Should be hearing parents allow to produce the baby and the result they would have hearing baby. ?" instead of flat out asking a direct question with cold heart.

Typing all that out would have taken precious time away from commenting 'LOL hun xxx' on her friends' status updates on Facebook.

Good luck with that professor, BTW. Some teachers are absolute nightmares at the college level...including the ones that don't allow students to get sick.

Laura

My guess is that the teacher assigned this so that students would experience reactions and over reactions since they are ASL students. Success.

your teacher has posed the sort of questions hitler would have asked,i can not for life of me see how questions like that enhance education..

Are you joking ??!! How can you compare writing about ghosts to the questions the OP is asking us?? Tell us did the ghosts get offended by what you wrote and come back to haunt you??

My guess is that the teacher assigned this so that students would experience reactions and over reactions since they are ASL students. Success.

I sincerely hope you're right. I'm a hearie, and this question even made me cringe. But it also makes me curious if that's really the case, or what exactly is the point of this assignment? I'm now wondering what other ASL programs are like around the country.

Are you joking ??!! How can you compare writing about ghosts to the questions the OP is asking us?? Tell us did the ghosts get offended by what you wrote and come back to haunt you??

:giggle:

I understand.

It's not OP's fault. Teacher may did it on purpose to test OP how OP approachs with deaf people. OP is lucky that online is nothig but i wonder how would deafies react to ops question in person? . :hmm:

Too bad that teachers dont teach students about how sensitive questions or how to handle with questions or how to approach strangers by asking questions right away. etc. Oh well. OP is offended with my posts. oops

Back