Deafs be allowed to marry?

I feel as a hearing person that there should be no discrimination towards deaf people. Just because their ears do not work does not mean in any way shape or form they are any different than you or me. As far as your questions go I am sorry that your teacher put you in this place and that you are getting a hard time about them. I do think it is really messed up these are your questions because they are disrespectful towards the Deaf Community. But here are my answers since this is for school.

From a hearing person's point of view
1. I feel deaf people should be able to marry other deafs. I feel it is the same as asking if a Mexican can marry another Mexican. There is a language common ground, a culture common ground. When two people come together and share the same backgrounds and language they tend to fit better together, they have a total understanding of each other. (not saying anything bad about hearing to deaf marriages, because they work as well)

2.I feel people can have kids if they want kids and if they understand the responsibility that comes with kids. I have strong feelings when it comes to they type of people that are having kids in today's world. Deaf people having kids is not where on my list of people that shouldn't have kids. I feel deaf adults and couples that want the joys of having a person they created looking up at them with total love and trust is fine with me. (I'm a mother and know how great that feeling is). Like I said before just because someone's ears don't work doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. Doesn't mean they are any different than you or me. Stick you head phones on turn your music up to where you can't hear anything else at all. Then go and try to talk to someone, try to live a day like that. I know it isn't the complete same but you get an idea of what it is like not to hear the things around you. It is hard to communicate when you can't hear someone talking to you but it doesn't effect your ability to live a normal life like all the hearing people out there.

Hope this helps with your paper, and again I am sorry your teacher didn't think how others would react to you asking these questions

I am thinking that the OP who asked the ridiculous question about deaf marriage and have deaf children.

You have to remember that Alexandra Graham Bell was the one who wanted the d/Deaf not to marry to d/Deaf and not to have deaf children. He opposed them to get married. The problem with him is that he was married to his deaf wife (not sure if she could sign back then). There is nothing for him to fear about d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing population about the marriage association. He wanted them to speak and lipread, no sign language allowed. I think Hilter might have pick that up from Alexandra Graham Bell on the disability people like d/Deaf, Blind, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, or any mentally intelligent people including children who have them. I think the hearing society thought that we are bad and thought that God punished us and our parents. It is not the parents' fault and our fault for being deaf (medical term). The hearing parents and authorities should learn to accept us as who we are and we can not change what the hearing people expect us to please them so that they don't have to work on learning to sign ASL and getting accommodations for us.

Most often like the Nazi, they would rather banish or destroy all disabilities. Just only healthy, blond and blue eyes with Christian (no other religions like Jewish) names and tradition. They want people to be the same as them. The Nazi people are wrong because that would mean there will be no balance between people who are different. The Nazi like Alexandra Graham Bell could not understand no matter what that we are human beings. We have a right to be here on Mother Earth as much as the animals who have rights on Mother Earth, too. :(

The problem with him is that he was married to his deaf wife (not sure if she could sign back then).(

Bell himself could sign. In his family, he served as his mother's interpreter and sat beside her fingerspelling the family conversations.

His wife was post lingually deafened at age five by scarlet fever, so had already developed speech.

When he died, she asked his to not leave her. His final communication was in response, and he signed "no"

Plus I don't think he wanted only lipreading. He invented a system rather like cuing, and Gallaudet awarded him an honorary degree for his work in 1880.

My children and grandchildren resent that! :P

I don't think the OP should be allowed to get married and have kids. I read that the OP gave this as an assignment then the teacher should not be to get married and have kids .

Bell himself could sign. In his family, he served as his mother's interpreter and sat beside her fingerspelling the family conversations.

His wife was post lingually deafened at age five by scarlet fever, so had already developed speech.

When he died, she asked his to not leave her. His final communication was in response, and he signed "no"

Plus I don't think he wanted only lipreading. He invented a system rather like cuing, and Gallaudet awarded him an honorary degree for his work in 1880.

Same here.

That questions aren't actual their research, it's about how we react.

It's professor's purpose!

Nope! Is it OK for professor to ask student to find out if Black can marry whites?

There is NO excuse in that professor's conduct.

This is outright discrimination against Deafies, PERIOD!

That questions aren't actual their research, it's about how we react.

It's professor's purpose!

Nope! Is it OK for professor to ask student to find out if Black can marry whites?

There is NO excuse in that professor's conduct.

This is outright discrimination against Deafies, PERIOD!

I agree whole heartedly. Am sooo pissed off!

sounds like a HS teacher than a professor with 1 PHD and 3,000 articles and 5 books.

I am Deaf. You are Deaf. He is Deaf.

Back