Deafs be allowed to marry?

Exactly! Unbelievable... :shock:
This is a highly inappropriate assignment.
There is much more sensitive/controlled ways to explore this question that are less offensive.

This doesn't mean this person's assignment is bogus. I had a linguistics teacher that said because my speech was so good, I should be able to hear everything my peers did if I wanted to pass the course. And she had a P.hD. You should have seen the disability liaison, I think her jaw hit the ground.

Laura

Last edited:
This doesn't mean this person's assignment is bogus. I had a linguistics teacher that said because my speech was so good, I should be able to hear everything my peers did if I wanted to pass the course. And she had a P.hD. You should have the disability liaison, I think her jaw hit the ground.

Laura

Thank you for defending me! I appreciate it!

Hi,
I am doing a research project of deaf people and marriages. Can I have some opinions on a couple questions?

1. Should deaf people be allowed to marry other deafs?
2. Should deaf people be allowed to reproduce if they know that their children will be deaf?

Thank you all so much!!!!

Holy ****. Talk about really insensitive questions. Wow. :shock:

You realize these questions are as offensive as asking:

"Should black people be allowed to marry other blacks?"

or

"Should black people be allowed to reproduce if they know that their children will be black?"

Seriously, it is THAT offensive.

Holy ****. Talk about really insensitive questions. Wow. :shock:

You realize these questions are as offensive as asking:

"Should black people be allowed to marry other blacks?"

or

"Should black people be allowed to reproduce if they know that their children will be black?"

Seriously, it is THAT offensive.

How is that offensive? I am asking for a paper

If you do not think this is offensive then go out and ask some Deaf people face to face your questions , and do not hide behind a computer and do it! You're a bigger idiot than I thought if you think it's OK to ask these insensitive questions. And just what are you studying to do , I hope it is not to work with Deaf and HOH people!

If you do not think this is offensive then go out and ask some Deaf people face to face your questions , and do not hide behind a computer and do it! You're a bigger idiot than I thought if you think it's OK to ask these insensitive questions. And just what are you studying to do , I hope it is not to work with Deaf and HOH people!
it is not her fault. her teacher made her to do it. :lol:

wait.. so you don't see how it is offensive?
The teacher assigning it is one thing, but you as a person must recognize it is not an appropriate question to ask on a forum that is intended to be inviting to Deaf/deaf people.

Asking if "black" people should marry other "black" people and if they should have children because their children might be "black" is basically saying:

Marrying if you are black is a negotiable privilege (which it isn't) and
Having children if you are black is a negotiable privilege (which again, it isn't)

Getting married and having kids is not a privilege, like getting a driver's license or being allowed to teach in a public school! It is a fundamental (albeit implicit) right of the people that they may choose to exercise.

brb researching how to sign OH MY GOSH

:hmm:

1. Should hearing people be allowed to marry other hearing people?
2. Should hearing people be allowed to reproduce if they know that their children will be hearing?

:dunno2:

How strange is that my both parents are hearing. So I was born Deaf. . :hmm:

Has to be a troll. I doubt this class and teacher exists.

It's just so breathtakingly offensive that I have a hard time imagining any teacher would assign something like this.

But there's always someone, somewhere, I guess.

I got a feeling that her teacher want this student to taste the reaction from the deaf world after asking this question. Poor this innocent student. :rofl:

Wasn't concern.... Of course the questions are ridiculous. But there could be a point behind the exercise.

Alexander Graham Bell would have said no and no. I think the teacher is trying to allow the students to find that out.

I hope this assignment was to teach you a lesson, otherwise, you should immediately withdraw from school and find a better program. And if you have no idea what anyone else's comments mean (about AGB and eugenics) I suggest you Google them, instead of asking here. Although ... I'd love to see the look on your teacher's face if you intend on using some direct quotes ...

it is not her fault. her teacher made her do it.

Based on your comment, I say we start a new poll.

1.) Where is history have we all seen THAT excuse before?
2.) I wonder how well it'll work out in her case?

Last edited:
makenzieshepard: An interesting thought for you to include in your paper re: DEAF babies. Apparently over 95%- have Hearing parents. This has pointed many times in various threads-here. This also has generated much comment here in alldeaf.com-parent's decision re: Cochlear Implant.

I got a feeling that her teacher want this student to taste the reaction from the deaf world after asking this question. Poor this innocent student. :rofl:

That is one possibility, for real.

Probably doing an assignment for a written composition course. No real research would rely on a sampling of a few posts.

Back