Deafness due to measels, meningits etc and vaccinations

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't been around much lately so I'm not sure if this has been discussed.

With the recent measles outbreak my facebook feed has been bombarded with vaccination articles. I have a fascination with comment threads, it's like a human zoo, a cesspool of hate and bigotry usually. I have seen countless comments along the lines of so what if your kid gets measels? They probably won't die, their immune system will be stronger.

It reminded me of the why are deaf thread. A great many of us (not me, but deaf people in general) have hearing loss because of measels, rubella and meningitis (which has a vaccine now). Death is not the only consequence, and hearing loss seems to be an unknown factor/risk to these people.

How do we feel about the US slowly losing it's herd immunity due to antivaxxers, and thereby increasing the chances of more children going deaf due to a preventable disease. I'm not sure the age for the meningitis vaccine but the mmr (measels mumps and rubella) doesn't start until 1 years old. So until then they are at risk for those diseases, and possible hearing loss.

I'm aware this can be a pretty heated topic, so I won't be surprised if it gets closed. But I'm hoping not.

For me personally I think I'm more bothered by the fact people seem so unaware that being born, or going deaf is even a possibly. I mean many many of them won't vaccinate because of the "risk" of autism. If they're afraid of having an autistic kid. Btw I read a horrifying comment from a woman that has a son that she described, at first, as having lost, then as being brain damaged, and finally as being diagnosed as autistic. Your child is not dead "gone"-she kept referring to him as being gone, oh and as being mentally ill- he's autustic!!! Horrible woman. It has been proven that vaccines and autism aren't linked, it's genetic, he would have had autism anyway, but that wasn't my point I side tracked myself. If they're so afraid of autism, how would they feel about having a deaf kid? Eh?

Last edited:
Recently a student in my high school died from meningitis after being diagnosed. He died within 5 days, he was well liked.

I've heard about vaccinations controversy with the risk of autism although it doesn't link between them without proof. Some parents refused to vaccinate their child over the fears or religious reason.

I knew of one person who became deaf from mumps too- don't know how rare that is.

Gotta agree.. the anti-vaccine crowd just baffles me. I get it if a child or adult cannot be vaccinated due to medical reasons or complications but the others... 'because it causes autism' (there is no proof of that- diagnosing autism spectrum disorders just improved), 'because it's against my religion'- that one is a little harder to argue but still--- seems to me that ensuring that everyone doesn't get sick would outweigh getting sick. Which leads into...'but its GOOD for kids to get sick and build up the immunity!'- well.. yeah but at the expense of possible damage.

Every time I see comments like those i just want to scream.. so you want a kid like me? (Rubella baby) or like the residents I used to work with (deaf and MR and one also had additional problems)?

in my daughters residential home just over one third are vaccination victims but without vaccinations it be higher other two thirds either genetic or victims of the disease
I believe in vaccination it saved many lives.
doctors mostly go through career never see meningitis and find it hard to diagnose but thanks to earth mothers they going to have to recognise it..these stupid parents should go back in time they see many kids die from complications of these diseases,so selfish no vaccination

Btw I read a horrifying comment from a woman that has a son that she described, at first, as having lost, then as being brain damaged, and finally as being diagnosed as autistic. Your child is not dead "gone"-she kept referring to him as being gone, oh and as being mentally ill- he's autustic!!! Horrible woman.

Jenny McCarthy - and she's not nice to her cousin Melissa McCarthy whom she disses for being fat.

I lost my hearing because someone wouldn't get vaccinated. There's no credible link to autism, but we do have the numbers to show many people die when people don't get vaccinated to protect themselves and others.

I think Ms. McCarthy is finally waking up to reality after so much backlash. It should serve as a lesson to her that before you act like a doctor for mothers across the country, get a medical license to practice...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tion-with-reality-tv-its-too-little-too-late/

In fact, Anti-Vaxxer's can actually infect a Vaccinated Kid with a disease which they are suppose to be immune to. I know a kid who got Meningitis from a Anti-Vaxxer's kid even though he was vax'ed for it. He survived though of course now he has learning disabilities. It's a shame he didn't get the hearing loss I would of opted for that especially at such a late age instead of having trouble remembering things you just read.

Speaking of measles..... I lost my own hearing due to a form of German Measles, aka Rubella. I contracted that 14 hours after my birth, and became severely HoH at 15 months old. Now 31, I'm not too many more years away from becoming fully profoundly deaf. It's something I know is coming so I will someday be able to no longer hear anything. It's just a matter of when it'll happen.

In fact, Anti-Vaxxer's can actually infect a Vaccinated Kid with a disease which they are suppose to be immune to. I know a kid who got Meningitis from a Anti-Vaxxer's kid even though he was vax'ed for it. He survived though of course now he has learning disabilities. It's a shame he didn't get the hearing loss I would of opted for that especially at such a late age instead of having trouble remembering things you just read.

Yes they can, vaccination don't work 100% of the time, but herd immunity greatly lessens the chances of that happening. It such a damn shame.

My daughter got the chicken pox vaccine and still got the chicken pox, BUT it's severity was significantly reduced. She only got a handful of spots and they were gone after a couple days. I still had to keep her home from school for a week though. It would have been much much worse if she had not been vaccinated.

Speaking of measles..... I lost my own hearing due to a form of German Measles, aka Rubella. I contracted that 14 hours after my birth, and became severely HoH at 15 months old. Now 31, I'm not too many more years away from becoming fully profoundly deaf. It's something I know is coming so I will someday be able to no longer hear anything. It's just a matter of when it'll happen.
I thought you already were fully profoundly deaf? Didn't you just lose the rest of your hearing a couple of months ago to where you couldn't hear anything anymore (with or without hearing aids)?

I thought you already were fully profoundly deaf? Didn't you just lose the rest of your hearing a couple of months ago to where you couldn't hear anything anymore (with or without hearing aids)?

So did I...... I think my ears had fluid in it or something. Not sure what did happen, but I went 3 days without being able to hear, so I got a pretty good idea what to expect when it does happen. I can still hear a LITTLE, but only loud sounds. I can no longer hear voices speaking, so that part is gone, and has been for years now.

I'm not sure if I ever got a measles vaccine. I did have one mild case of measles when I was a child but I don't think it was rubella. I guess I'll have to get a blood test to find out if I have immunity or need a shot.

One measles FAQ site that I checked said that people born before 1957 don't usually get the shots because they already had measles before the vaccine was available in 1963. (I was born in 1951.)

When I was a kid, the big push was to get polio immunization. We also got small pox immunization, which I guess no one gets now.

Beyond deafness, Rubella is the leading cause of Downs Syndrome. Now why would anyone put a family for something like that instead of getting vaccinated? Blindness, deafness, Downs Syndrome - or all three could happen with exposure to Rubella. It's irresponsible to not protect yourself and others.

I'm not sure if I ever got a measles vaccine. I did have one mild case of measles when I was a child but I don't think it was rubella. I guess I'll have to get a blood test to find out if I have immunity or need a shot.

One measles FAQ site that I checked said that people born before 1957 don't usually get the shots because they already had measles before the vaccine was available in 1963. (I was born in 1951.)

When I was a kid, the big push was to get polio immunization. We also got small pox immunization, which I guess no one gets now.

I had measles, mumps and chicken pox but not rubella that I know of. Nor hooping cough. I was very sick with the measles and an ear infection following. Lost hearing in that ear but many years later (1984 or 5) was told by an ENT that it did not look like tipical infection damage. By that time I had experienced loss in the other ear to the point of wearing an aid. He said both were sensorineural but could not say why. I was hardly sick with chickenpox but had to stay home because of exposing other kids.

I am not sure just what shots we did get in the late 1940's and early 1950's. I was born in 1942 and got some at doctors office and once as school. I had a lot of colds and such but NOT ear infections and was seeing family doctor frequently anyway.

I DO know I got small pox immunization as an infant and then as an adult when polio immunization came a long I got a shot and then the oral one which, at least at the time, they thought was more effective.

Beyond deafness, Rubella is the leading cause of Downs Syndrome. Now why would anyone put a family for something like that instead of getting vaccinated? Blindness, deafness, Downs Syndrome - or all three could happen with exposure to Rubella. It's irresponsible to not protect yourself and others.

There are a few people that are allergic to some of the ingredients used to make the vaccines.

I had measles, mumps and chicken pox but not rubella that I know of. Nor hooping cough. I was very sick with the measles and an ear infection following. Lost hearing in that ear but many years later (1984 or 5) was told by an ENT that it did not look like tipical infection damage. By that time I had experienced loss in the other ear to the point of wearing an aid. He said both were sensorineural but could not say why. I was hardly sick with chickenpox but had to stay home because of exposing other kids.

I am not sure just what shots we did get in the late 1940's and early 1950's. I was born in 1942 and got some at doctors office and once as school. I had a lot of colds and such but NOT ear infections and was seeing family doctor frequently anyway.

I DO know I got small pox immunization as an infant and then as an adult when polio immunization came a long I got a shot and then the oral one which, at least at the time, they thought was more effective.
I also had mumps and chicken pox but no whooping cough. My brother caught chicken pox from me, and my dad caught the mumps from me. That was the only time my dad stayed home from work (he wasn't allowed to go there).

I remember getting the polio shot when they were first available. They did mass inoculations of school kids. We all lined up in the school auditorium and got inoculated, one after another, like cattle.

There are a few people that are allergic to some of the ingredients used to make the vaccines.

And THAT'S why it's so important for everyone that can be vaccinated to be vaccinated, it creates herd immunity.

Reba no one is immune to these diseases, the only way be immune to them is by acquired immunity-either catching the disease or getting a vaccination. Now some people might not be as severely effected because their overall immune system is strong, but without it coming into system no one is immune.

I wonder if there is case precedent for such a thing. If I got my child vaccinated but a Anti-Vaxxer's kid came along and gave my kid Rubella and he ended up with Blindness, Deafness or Downs Syndrome I wonder if you could charge them criminally with neglect or take them to civil court?

I wonder if there is case precedent for such a thing. If I got my child vaccinated but a Anti-Vaxxer's kid came along and gave my kid Rubella and he ended up with Blindness, Deafness or Downs Syndrome I wonder if you could charge them criminally with neglect or take them to civil court?

Downs Syndrome is a birth defect, so only unborn babies are at risk if their mother gets Rubella.

Woops! completely overlooked that, but even still Blindness or Deafness it would seem like a case that would hold water in a court right?

Back