Deafies in hiding?....

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Just watched a vlog about there were over 6,000 deaf in the Chicago area....But you never see them out and about. Wonder why?..."Proud to be Deaf"...but still in hiding?....They don't sign in public...So they are invisible.

Good question. We have thousands here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, but I don't see them much unless at the deaf club. Maybe they just don't go out much? I may have run across deafies and didn't know it.

Oregon is the same. My small town is home to the deaf school, yet not a lot of deafies are out and about

Could be a lot of reasons why.

I'm probably one of those deafies in hiding. I'm proud of my identity- of every identity I have. But my problem is... I don't go out as much as I'm an introvert, shy, maybe anxiety about going out. In a group I could be perceived as stand-offish , aloof or a snob because I don't say much or interact much (and that drives people nuts apparently). When I went on a trip to meet other online friends (gaming forum), one of them just couldn't figure it... "Online we can't ever get you to shut up" (bit of an exaggeration but true)- yet in person I barely said much.

Same could be said of the deafblind community-- they're more hidden than deaf are.

I don't sign because even after taking courses a couple of times I did not meet anyone to really use it with. I can't remember when the last time was I saw anyone signing, say in a store, etc.

PS I still don't like the terms deafie and hearie.

Last edited:
Seems like the majority of deaffies got assimilated by the Borg. Those of us unaffected, congregate here. A bunch of rejects and loonies. I feel right at home here. :)

They pop up in unexpected places. A few days ago I found one under his house.
Service call, but I'm just saying.

They pop up in unexpected places. A few days ago I found one under his house.
Service call, but I'm just saying.
Under his house? Well ... that's interesting. What were you doing looking under his house?

Under his house? Well ... that's interesting. What were you doing looking under his house?

Lol. Nothing as sinister as you may think. He had a busted pipe and we fixed it. He's not talkative so that is all I know about him.

Lol. Nothing as sinister as you may think. He had a busted pipe and we fixed it. He's not talkative so that is all I know about him.
LOL. I didn't think you were the sinister type. :)

I don't sign because even after taking courses a couple of times I did not meet anyone to really use it with. I can't remember when the last time was I saw anyone signing, say in a store, etc.

PS I still don't like the terms deafie and hearie.
If you want to learn sign language,I can help you lear.,we can also talk in sign language.we have to fiqure out how were going to comminucate.please let me know

Back