Deaf Woman shot in face

Mizzou

Reaction score
I HAVE FEW LINKS IN BETWEEN LINES -- YOU CAN CHANCE TO READ AT DIFFERENT TIMES. :)

Woman shot in face
78-year-old with shotgun surrenders to police officers

By Brent D. Wistrom
Times Record News
January 13, 2004

A 78-year-old Wichita Falls man surrendered to police Monday afternoon, minutes after a deaf woman was shot in the face with a shotgun, Lt. Richard Garza said.

Police are investigating why the man shot Jacqueline Goinns, 46, who was walking with Patrick Jackson, 39, on a grassy sidewalk area on the other side of the business's chain-link fence. The suspect told officers he thought someone was trying to break into his engine repair shop on East Wichita Street.

Police found no evidence of a break-in, and Goinns and Jackson were unarmed.

Goinns, who has been deaf and mute since birth, was taken to a Dallas hospital where doctors were trying to save one of her eyes - the shot blinded her in one eye, former co-workers at OUI nightclub said.

Witnesses said that Goinns was conscious after the shooting and police said she was in stable condition hours after the shooting.

Pellets from the single 12-gauge shotgun blast also hit Jackson in the arm. He was treated and released, hospital spokeswoman Kim Maddin said.

"It appears they were just walking down the street and he thought somebody was breaking in, and he got his gun and shot," Walker said.

The suspect shot at Goinns and Jackson from inside the business's fence, Walker said.

Police plan to charge the man with aggravated assault. The newspaper is withholding the suspect's name pending formal charges. He had no previous criminal record with Publicdata.com.

Nearby officers responded to the shooting after someone called 911, saying that a man was seen running down the street with a gun. When police arrived, the suspect placed the gun on the ground and surrendered, authorities said.

Bobby Herrell was inside the building when the shooting occurred and said he knows the man police arrested.

Herrell said he tried to convince the suspect that no one was trying to break in or steal anything.

"He had something that was bothering him," he said. "It's out of character for him to shoot somebody. It's not out of character for him to try to scare somebody off."

The suspect normally keeps a gun in the business, Herrell said.

When Herrell heard the blast, he said knew someone had been shot.

"I was scared to go around there then," he said.

Herrell said only a few thefts had happened at the business in recent years.

Brent Wistrom can be reached at (940) 763-7554, 1-800-627-1646 Ext. 554, or wistromb(at)TimesRecordNews.com

To view article and pictures, please go to this link:
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/local_news/article/0,1891,TRN_5784_2572233,00.html
--------------------------------------------------
DOCTORS TRY TO SAVE SHOOTING VICTIMS EYESIGHT
Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Doctors in Dallas are trying to save a deaf Wichita Falls woman`s eyes today after a shooting near downtown yesterday afternoon. 78 year old Selman Hubert Crook is behind bars awaiting formal charges of two counts of aggravated assault. He was arrested yesterday after shooting 46 year old Jacqueline Goins in the face and injuring her boyfriend. Police say Selman, who is taking medication for Alzheimer`s disease, said he thought the couple was breaking into his property, so he chased them down with a 12 guage shotgun.

Police in Grand Prairie are holding an elderly man on suspicion of capital murder while they determine if his account of why he shot two men is true. The man told police that two men kidnapped him from his home and took him to an ATM where they made him withdraw money. He says he believed his life was in danger because one of the men had a baseball bat. John Brimmer, a Grand Prairie detective says, "I believe he believed his life was in danger at that point, and he evidently had a small pistol on his person, and he said he used that pistol to shoot these two alleged robbers."

Police say the alleged victim wasn`t injured and has a concealed weapons permit.

---------------------------------------------------

SHOOTING VICTIMS FAMILY GATHERS FOR SUPPORT

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Yesterday`s shooting has the Goins family questioning why crook`s family members allowed the Alzheimers patient to have a gun in his possession, but their focus right now is on their injured mother.

Sarah Oehler spoke with the wife of one of Goin`s four sons today. They`re still in shock over what happened yesterday, but their main concern right now is their mother`s recovery.

Jackie Goins was born deaf, and is unable to speak. Now doctors at Parkland Memorial in Dallas are trying to save one of Goins` last remaining links to the outside world..

Vicki Goins was in shock yesterday when she got the news. Her mother called to say her 46-year-old mother-in-law had been shot in the face, and could lose one of the last senses she has left to depend on, her eyesight.

Vicki and her husband, Richie, who just finished basic training at Fort Sill in Lawton, took the news about his mother very hard. Vicki says her mother-in-law is a hard worker, and when she recovers, her husband will continue to communicate with her through signing. "He said he`s just gonna have to put his hand in her hand and just sign that way."

But while the tragic incident is hard for them to understand, it`s been even harder for Jackie`s young grandchildren. Jackie`s four sons are flying in from across the country to be with their mother and to see what happens to 78-year-old Selman Crook, who is awaiting formal charges of aggravated assault. "I feel sorry for what happened. I know he didn`t really know what he was doing. But still, having Alzheimer`s, he houldn`t have a gun. That`s the main thing I`m concerned about, is whether they can keep it from him so Adding to the hurt
Shooting victim has experienced lifetime of struggle

-----------------------------------

Adding to the hurt
Shooting victim has experienced lifetime of struggle

By Jessica Langdon
Times Record News
January 14, 2004

Jacqueline Goins always traveled a hard road. It got harder Monday.

Her boyfriend, Patrick Jackson, said she lost her hearing when she was a tiny child. She couldn't talk.

But she could read lips. She understands sign language. Jackie's eyes were "everything" to her, Jackson said.

A gunshot wound to her face destroyed that for 46-year-old Goins.

"It was hard enough, being deaf and mute, coping with society," Jackson said. "Somebody comes and takes her vision, too."

Jackson was with Goins when she was shot Monday afternoon.

A 78-year-old Wichita Falls man was arrested in connection with the shooting, but hadn't been formally charged Tuesday.

The man told police he thought someone was trying to break into his engine repair shop on East Wichita Street. Police found no signs of a break-in.

Acquaintances of the suspect said he was sick. One said he has Alzheimer's disease and wasn't supposed to be at the shop.

Jackson questioned why he had a weapon.

"The man hollered, 'I'm going to shoot,' " Jackson said.

He said by the time they realized what was happening, Goins had been shot. He said he'd never seen the suspect before.

"I wish it was me and not her," he said.

Pellets from the shot hit Jackson's arm and he was sore Tuesday, but he said his pain paled next to the hurt, anger and concern over Goins' wounds.

Jackson said she was scared - but alert - before she was airlifted to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, where she had surgery.

"Her left eye," Jackson said, "she'll never see out of it again." Her family's waiting to hear about her right eye. Jackson said doctors also stopped bleeding in her brain.

He said she'll likely sleep through the next several days as she heals. He said she has four sons. One came in from Ohio to be with her.

"She's doing well, a lot better than they ever expected," Jackson said. But he never thought he'd have to face this.

Today is his birthday - one he'll never forget, he said. They were supposed to move into a new home the day of the shooting, Jackson said. Now he doesn't know if his girlfriend of six years will ever see him again.

Jackson said this is one more trial in a life that has been rough on Goins. He said she lost her hearing during a surgery when she was a child. Without the surgery, he said she may have been paralyzed.

Jackson said he and Goins worked off-and-on at the Oui nightclub on East Scott Street. He said owner Bobby Buck helped them through hard times and was a good friend to Goins.

Nightclub employee Dorothia Diaz said the news hit hard.

"She's a very sweet girl. Kind of a headache sometimes, but a very sweet girl," Diaz said.

Jackson said Goins has a long road ahead. He hopes it keeps going as well as it has so far. Goins was listed in fair condition Tuesday.

"She didn't deserve that," Jackson said.

Crime reporter Jessica Langdon can be reached at (940) 763-7530 or by email at langdonj(at)TimesRecordNews.com

Times Record News

To view article online, please go to this link:
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/local_news/article/0,1891,TRN_5784_2575305,00.html

im APPALLED at the fact this is happening, my grandmother was dianoised with alezhamiers and we all know my grandfather had a gun in the house the next best thing we did was since mom knew i was too young to handle anything they stashed the gun under the house we have a little hole thingy that leads to all the cable lines under the house so they stashed the gun there at the time, before the transfer to demolish it came abt and selling them. BUT still we thought of our safety as well as my grandmother's BUT, the moment the alhemizers got worse we immdenitly took the gun out of the house and had a family member hold on to it cuz that gun is a heirloom dating back to the 1800s SO we couldn't really do anything but safety was a factor!

If my dad or mom was dianosed with that deiase the gun would be gone that very same day heirloom or none! my family's safety is more important then a dead body and a mental illness man going to jail when he doesn't know right from wrong!

Good Grief , First of all Why didn't that man call the police first before using his gun on someone. People just dont make sense those days. In fact shooting someone who didnt do anything no break in.. so what does that tell u? big mistake. I wish people would stop shooting everything that comes their way of thinking. dont think call the cops first then if they get attaked or tried to leave then hold them until the police arrive. People need to use their common sense.

OMG -- thats so sad!!!!

i agree with the family ref to those who has Alzheimers should not have possession of a gun or much less still have a gun permit!!! thats :crazy: to begin with and pretty idiotic!!!!

i pray for the speedy recovery of Ms Goinns and having her right eyesight still there

Oh Dear,

That's sad to hear what had happened to this woman.....

Using a weapon doesn't solve a problem but, it's harm an innocent victim :( ..

I pray for her recovery of her right side of her eyes....

Using Violence weapons doesn't solved a crime unless it used to protect yourself....

thats sooo awful abt that.. yall know out of world who the peep are crazy, cant think straight n sick in brain.. oh man.. i just watch my back ard the peep... oh JEEZ!

He proably used the gun against them so they wouldnt find what he was trying to hide or something...perhas he's a drug dealer or something and they might've found some pot in his place or whatever like that

Steel in case u didn t see or read it right or overlooked it, the man has alzhemiers, and he has no call to keeping or owning a gun the family should know better than to keep a gun around him. he himself could have harmed himself as well.

javapride said:
Steel in case u didn t see or read it right or overlooked it, the man has alzhemiers, and he has no call to keeping or owning a gun the family should know better than to keep a gun around him. he himself could have harmed himself as well.
aw ok now that makes more sense

Oh..my gosh*

That's so sad...*shakehead* Now, there're out of more crazy peoples...omg!

Back