Deaf with a capital 'D'

Discussion in 'Deaf News' started by Smithtr, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Smithtr

Smithtr G.G.H.T Premium Member

Deaf with a capital 'D' - Iowa State Daily: News

2. Devyn231

Devyn231 New Member

Wirelessly posted

Thank you for this post! It is a really good read & as a first year student it really helps towards understanding Deaf culture a bit more :)

3. Frisky Feline

Frisky Feline Well-Known Member

I am a culturally Deaf chick. :ugh3:

4. drphil

drphil Active Member

I am DEAF not labelled- "cultural Deaf".

5. Lau2046

Lau2046 Well-Known Member

Writing it down doesn't always help. I worked with someone that used ASL as a primary language and I had no clue what she was saying in emails....no one in the office did, my boss included. Needless to say, the staff usually sought assistance from someone that could hear. I think in the work place there needs to be interpreters in place. If English isn't your primary language, you won't write it well, so how are people supposed to work with that?

I've never understood the big d, little d concept myself, but then I don't define myself by my disability, nor do I understand why being called HOH would be an insult, but I've been called both deaf and HOH, so what do I know....

Laura

6. deafdyke

deafdyke Well-Known Member

I'm on the iPad, so don't know how to do cut and paste yes, but the oral only guy says, he still faces major major discrimation..Gee, I thought that oral skills were supposed to allow you to assimilate and give you an advantage in the hearing world. Guess oral only deafies face almost the exact same issues that sign users do!

7. Smithtr

Smithtr G.G.H.T Premium Member

you have native asl language? Did you write on paper to ASL speaking to clear to understand to Boss? Boss misunderstand, if guy miscommunication have problem on your not resolve, you have make sure clear to smooth interpreter easy, it help better clear, wise interpreter, or job coach, It is very depend!

not fault yourself, because people have problem on mistake, people misunderstand, confused and hard to communication struggle!, straight to make sure understand, Don't be misunderstand,

They think mistake on wrong fault,they rude insult to on say words serious, ethic of policy prevent to harassment!, that is point, Human of Resource!!

8. CrazyPaul

CrazyPaul Active Member

That's true. Alot of deafies who are pure ASLers don't know how to write and/or read so interpreting service is mandatory for them whenever they need one. Reba knows. BTW, they are very happy with VP so they threw their TTYs into trash immediately.

Two deaf co-workers of mine don't read and write English very well since they were foreigners (one from Morocco and another from Mexico), even though they are good at ASL. They are Deaf like me. Alot of times people don't understand what they write down which is not my fucking problem.