Deaf vs HOH

Megs

Reaction score
The Dr is gutting my left ear (so it will dead) on the 25th and I am very hard of hearing in my right ear. The hearing aid helps some. So am I deaf or hoh? I don't know what to say it's still so new to me. I meeting deaf people and making friends but I do not know how to label myself AND I do not want to offend. Please advise ~Meg

How about Laten-Deaf?

As for meeting deaf people in Nashville, you will be doing just fine. :)

Why do you have your ear gutted ? I never heard of this , I hope you got a second opinion about this!

Deaf vs. HOH is largely up to you because it's more important how you function than your actual decibal loss. Two people can have the same dB loss and yet one can have half the speech discrimination of the other.

Which term to use when also gives other people different ideas of how to communicate with you. If you prefer using pen and paper or sign, then saying you're deaf will have people more willing to accommodate your needs. If you can understand speech for the most part and have strong speech reading skills, then saying you're hard of hearing will get across that you have hearing loss but that you function more or less as hearing.

Bottesini with that smarts!!! I am having a Labrynthectomy! they remove the whole inside of the ear

I was hard of hearing for most of my life. I now consider myself to be deaf, but then I have a total loss now. I do still speak and I can (just a little) read lips. I use pen and paper or my netbook (when it's charged) when communicating with others. I am slowly learning ASL.

Therefore I am deaf, but for yourself, like CJB says, it more on how you see yourself.

Ok what about with hearing people? If I tell them I am hard of hearing they yell at me if I tell the I am deaf they point. Will this offend the deaf people I am with?

I used to tell people that I'm HOH, now I say that I'm deaf. Hearing loss is hearing loss. Why measure our hearing in order to determine our current "label" of the day?

You choose what you feel comfortable with, you won't be able to please everyone. Some folks say I'm HOH, deaf, or even a "hearie deafie" ((shrugs)) it's nothing but a label =)

If you want to get technical, here is the definition for "deaf" (compliments to Google)

"Lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing wholly or in part"

We fall into the 'in part' category

P.S. Most hearing people will assume you are completely deaf and you might acquire a few interesting experiences for your memory book ;)

Deaf people are very proud of their culture!!! This past month I have learned a lot and have become proud as well. I just did not want to cross a line. Being on this site, ASL and meeting deaf people have really made the loss of my hearing a lot easier. Thank you everyone! Bottesini thank you for helping me find people to answer my questions. You are lovely!!!

Deaf people are very proud of their culture!!! This past month I have learned a lot and have become proud as well. I just did not want to cross a line. Being on this site, ASL and meeting deaf people have really made the loss of my hearing a lot easier. Thank you everyone! Bottesini thank you for helping me find people to answer my questions. You are lovely!!!

:) You are welcome!

Yea, if you tell hearies that you're hard of hearing, some of them will shout at you. It's so annoying! :lol:

I may tell strangers I'm HOH. I function like a person with a mild hearing loss when I wear my CI. To everyone else, I say I'm deaf.

Back