Deaf Unemployment Rate @ 72.5%...!!!

"If it is really 70% meaning about 3 million Deafies have job while 7 million don't have job or limited employed. So, please bring up that shows more than 3 Million then we can see where you stand."

you wrote Deafies. a non signing deaf person is a deaf, not Deaf.

Where did I specifically said signing? :dunno:

There are millions of people not counted because they don't get unemployment benefits (the DOL cannot count them) AND are not or not looking for jobs.

Correct. When the Federal government compiles its numbers for determining unemployment statistics it follows very strict guidelines.

The official definition is: "People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work."

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

"If it is really 70% meaning about 3 million Deafies have job while 7 million don't have job or limited employed. So, please bring up that shows more than 3 Million then we can see where you stand."

you wrote Deafies. a non signing deaf person is a deaf, not Deaf.

deaf does not necessarily means not signing, there are plenty of deaf that do and don't sign, for instance born hearing then lost their hearing at later life and learn signing, is there some people like that out there, eh?

And there is plenty of born deaf and refused to learn sign, they do exist, so it is both way!

That is why I didn't specifically signing, you are the one who specified em! so :dunno:

deaf does not necessarily means not signing, there are plenty of deaf that do and don't sign, for instance born hearing then lost their hearing at later life and learn signing, is there some people like that out there, eh?

And there is plenty of born deaf and refused to learn sign, they do exist, so it is both way!

That is why I didn't specifically signing, you are the one who specified em! so :dunno:

Refused to learn Sign? The overwhelming majority of those deaf never got a CHANCE to learn Sign. It wasn't like the option to develop speech and sign were freely given. Unfortunatly the very abliest mentality is that people who learn to talk don't "need" ASL. So it's ignored as a choice/option/second language. Quite sad too, that they didn't get that option/choice.

Refused to learn Sign? The overwhelming majority of those deaf never got a CHANCE to learn Sign. It wasn't like the option to develop speech and sign were freely given. Unfortunatly the very abliest mentality is that people who learn to talk don't "need" ASL. So it's ignored as a choice/option/second language. Quite sad too, that they didn't get that option/choice.

I have distant relative that is as Deaf as myself, he refused to learn sign, he is now very isolated. Very sad? Yup! Nothing I can do, he does not believe signs benefit him at all, thus refusing to learn. So I just leave him alone.

I have distant relative that is as Deaf as myself, he refused to learn sign, he is now very isolated. Very sad? Yup! Nothing I can do, he does not believe signs benefit him at all, thus refusing to learn. So I just leave him alone.

I have meet a few deaf people who are this way. One should never assume that because someone is deaf they can sign :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Yes, I know about the kids who were raised hardcore oral, and thus have a hobbyhorse about ANYTHING that could paint them as " different" .... Oh lord.
There are a lot of kids like that now. I know of a girl raised auditory verbal who is failing her mainstream school, and has no friends, but is extremely extremely resistant to anything she sees as " special needs."
Idealisticly, a child born dhh should be exposed to both ASL and HOH style interventions, so they themselves can find their niche....Most kids will find a variety of approaches very helpful. It really does anger me how ableist our world is, that we demonize specialized approaches, schools etc, and as a result we engeder feelings of self hatred in dhh children, to try to make them function or appear as Normal As Possible. I also love how kids gush about how glad they are they can hear or talk or have other access to the mainstream world....and then in their next breath they start whining that they have no friends and are actually very isolated.

Thats a hearie strange idea.

That no Deaf can speak.

I havea golden tongue,and when a hearie hears me speak they tilt their heads like wee confused dogs..
Poor souls....

Somethings like being born hearis and Deaf as a kid, thus my golden tongue seems to ellude their understanding.....
It almost causes a stroke by the look of some of em.

Ah well..

I did not know the difference so I did some research and found this which explins things very well between HOH and Deaf. I am HOH I guess because I can hear with HA but deaf without.

http://www.washington.edu/doit/deaf-or-hard-hearing

Yeah, I am not learning ASL because no one in my circle of the world knows it nor will they learn it for my benefit. I would have to start from scratch with new people but at my age?

Yeah, I am not learning ASL because no one in my circle of the world knows it nor will they learn it for my benefit. I would have to start from scratch with new people but at my age?

Awww.... that is kinda sad.

Thats part of it

But your still trapped in.the medical model.
Free yourself...

(Tosses you a sign)
Will
Set
You
Free!!

I'm a bit more HOH when I wear my HAs, but without my HAs, I'm totally deaf, especially at a 115 db loss. Again, that's the medical definition (or the medical "model" you posted.) I still call myself deaf regardless (and Deaf at that,) but we have agreed on this forum that people can call themselves whatever they are comfortable with. And while I'm very happy and proud to know and be fluent in ASL, I recognize that not everyone is, despite db loss. Stop saying ASL is the only way to "set you free."

I'm a bit more HOH when I wear my HAs, but without my HAs, I'm totally deaf, especially at a 115 db loss. Again, that's the medical definition (or the medical "model" you posted.) I still call myself deaf regardless (and Deaf at that,) but we have agreed on this forum that people can call themselves whatever they are comfortable with. And while I'm very happy and proud to know and be fluent in ASL, I recognize that not everyone is, despite db loss. Stop saying ASL is the only way to "set you free."

Ive never stated ASL is the only way to be set free.
Nor have ever stated that people shoukdnt identify with what ever terms they like.

Ive actually repeated the opposite

Countless times in here.

I belive in total.freedom, that includes people identifying any which way they please.

Now
If you care to actually hold me.to account for.things i actually do state.
By all means
Do your worst...."-)

Ive never stated ASL is the only way to be set free.
Nor have ever stated that people shoukdnt identify with what ever terms they like.

Ive actually repeated the opposite

Countless times in here.

I belive in total.freedom, that includes people identifying any which way they please.

Now
If you care to actually hold me.to account for.things i actually do state.
By all means
Do your worst...."-)

Both of you are right. There's no Answer to Life The Universe and Everything, and just b/c a person meets a certain dcb loss, it doesn't mean that they will automaticly be all "rah rah! GO ASL!" BUT, the plain truth of the matter is that most born dhh kids who grew up oral did not have the choice in the first place ..... they didn't chose oral only, b/c both ASL and oral were offered. Oralism was the default, and seen as " good enough" Other tools, like ASL, cued speech, deaf school and program weren't offered in the first place. If you don't investigate and fully try them out, how will you know if they will be useful or not?

Both of you are right. There's no Answer to Life The Universe and Everything, and just b/c a person meets a certain dcb loss, it doesn't mean that they will automaticly be all "rah rah! GO ASL!" BUT, the plain truth of the matter is that most born dhh kids who grew up oral did not have the choice in the first place ..... they didn't chose oral only, b/c both ASL and oral were offered. Oralism was the default, and seen as " good enough" Other tools, like ASL, cued speech, deaf school and program weren't offered in the first place. If you don't investigate and fully try them out, how will you know if they will be useful or not?

Like Morse Code to a HAM Radio Operator, soon, ASL will be obsolete thanks to technology.

Like Morse Code to a HAM Radio Operator, soon, ASL will be obsolete thanks to technology.
Not a real analogy. Morse Code isn't a language--it's a mode of an existing language. ASL is a language.

What technology would that be?

Not a real analogy. Morse Code isn't a language--it's a mode of an existing language. ASL is a language.

What technology would that be?

Morse code is considered a language to HAMers as ASL is considered a language to the deaf-even have HAMers that speek dit dit dot dot. Medical and Technology will make it absolete one day-I was hoping it would be in my lifetime. For example, they are already growing the hairs inside the middle ear in lab mice. now they need to work on making them work. CIs are becoming more and more advance every day. they are using stem cell research and clone technology and thats becoming more and more advanced. Good things are coming for those who wish to embrace them.

Start reading up on these artciles and you will be surprised.

Morse code is considered a language to HAMers as ASL is considered a language to the deaf-even have HAMers that speek dit dit dot dot.
Morse isn't a separate language because those dits and dots still represent existing languages' alphabets. It's not a language unto itself. The equivalent to Morse Code (note--it's code, not a language) would be Signed English. Signed English is not a language--it's a visual/manual expression (mode) of an existing language (spoken English).

Medical and Technology will make it absolete one day-I was hoping it would be in my lifetime. For example, they are already growing the hairs inside the middle ear in lab mice. now they need to work on making them work. CIs are becoming more and more advance every day. they are using stem cell research and clone technology and thats becoming more and more advanced. Good things are coming for those who wish to embrace them.
There would have to be a technology that would work for every single type of deafness. It would have to be worn/used 24/7, in all environments.

I'm sorry but you need to deal with the reality of the here and now. Just as being too much in the past, some people can live too much on future fantasies--both groups need to recognize the current reality.

Is that a good thing?

The difference is ASL is our language, a better way to ilustrate it is like many many minority langueges, (most native langueges as an example), ASL will be like them one day sooner then we think gine and lost.
Obsolete isnt the right english word for it.
Cultural genocide, is..

The world is not a better place with countless treasures of minority langueges forced and vanquished by majority ones.
Is it over?
Yeah indeed.
Our languege and stories, and jokes, and poems, our very way of experiencing this world and sharing, doesnt much stwnd a chance against the hearie juggernaught to rid the world of people like us.
Deaf
Our signs have always been on their hit list.
Control the language.
Control.the thoughts.
Control the thoughts and how they are shared
Assimilation is wll but certain
To hell with us, or anyone who thinks otherwise
(Staring into smoke rising......)
A grim fate..

Do you sign?
I know its obvious, but i needed to ask

Back