Deaf Unemployment Rate @ 72.5%...!!!

there are what, 1000-2000 deaf schools employees who are deaf
4000 deaf federal employees
maybe 5000 deaf working in the private sector (retails, companies, etc).
so the 70% unemployment figures is too high

Proof please, don't forget at least 10 million have hearing loss, these number you mentioned just below 1% of total of Deaf population.

If it is really 70% meaning about 3 million Deafies have job while 7 million don't have job or limited employed. So, please bring up that shows more than 3 Million then we can see where you stand.

there are quotes from 20,000-30,000 or 300,000-400,000 deaf signing.
but 10 million signing deaf? Seriously...

Proof please, don't forget at least 10 million have hearing loss, these number you mentioned just below 1% of total of Deaf population.

If it is really 70% meaning about 3 million Deafies have job while 7 million don't have job or limited employed. So, please bring up that shows more than 3 Million then we can see where you stand.

It's hard for anyone who has some difference to get a job. It could be language differences or learning dissabilities or something phisical. I don't like it but it's a competitive market out there. The only thing I can do is work hard a proove I'm valuable.

Was this conversation about the possibility of you getting a CI with insurance assistance?

I was going to trying to see if could a CI in the 60's and the doctor told me there was 50/50 chance of it not working that I could lose the hearing I did have . The doctor said if I was deaf and couldn't hear this and he knocked on his door he would had done the surgery and I was going to pay for it myself with the money I got from my auto accident I had when I was 4 year olds. I was run over by a car and dad got a settlement for me . The other time when was I was going to Mass Rehab and I had to see their doctor to made sure I was hoh but my case worker told the doctor I was deaf . When the doctor saw me the first thing he said was "YOU"RE NOT DEAF!" told the jerk I never said I was deaf , my case worker said that !

I was going to trying to see if could a CI in the 60's and the doctor told me there was 50/50 chance of it not working that I could lose the hearing I did have . The doctor said if I was deaf and couldn't hear this and he knocked on his door he would had done the surgery and I was going to pay for it myself with the money I got from my auto accident I had when I was 4 year olds. I was run over by a car and dad got a settlement for me . The other time when was I was going to Mass Rehab and I had to see their doctor to made sure I was hoh but my case worker told the doctor I was deaf . When the doctor saw me the first thing he said was "YOU"RE NOT DEAF!" told the jerk I never said I was deaf , my case worker said that !

That explains it.

Too many deaf go college... Does it count it as unemployed?

I work full-time job while attend to college as full-time student.

Too many deaf go college... Does it count it as unemployed?

I work full-time job while attend to college as full-time student.

The definition of unemployment is people who are actively looking for job.

I think they count those on unemployment benefits and possibly SSI/SSDI, "Welfare" (forgive me I can't think of the proper name) more than those who are 'actively seeking work' because how do you count someone who is actively seeking work but not receiving any kind of benefits (UI, SSI, SSDI...)?

Once you fall off of Unemployment benefits (like I have at least twice) I don't think you are counted. Seems like the figure is fuzzy math at best...

I think the numbers aren't accurate. I don't think everything is taken into account, including age, (whether young or retired age,) level of hearing loss, methods of communication (e.g. whether a phone job is filled by a hearing or deaf (or HOH) person, etc.,) whether someone is on disability, etc. That's why I wish the question of "Deaf vs. deaf" was never posed early in this thread.

Correct. When the Federal government compiles its numbers for determining unemployment statistics it follows very strict guidelines.

The official definition is: "People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work."

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

I think the numbers aren't accurate. I don't think everything is taken into account, including age, (whether young or retired age,) level of hearing loss, methods of communication (e.g. whether a phone job is filled by a hearing or deaf (or HOH) person, etc.,) whether someone is on disability, etc. That's why I wish the question of "Deaf vs. deaf" was never posed early in this thread.
If you're retired or disabled, you aren't always counted as unemployed by the Bureau of Labor. You must "have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work."

If you're retired or disabled, you aren't always counted as unemployed by the Bureau of Labor. You must "have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work."

Also collecting unemployment. I understand when unemployment runs out, you are taken off the count whether looking for job or not.

I think those counts are very misleading and if total truth was taken, the % count would be a lot higher.

Also collecting unemployment. I understand when unemployment runs out, you are taken off the count whether looking for job or not.

I think those counts are very misleading and if total truth was taken, the % count would be a lot higher.

Really? I would have thought the opposite. It could be just where I live -- seems like every d/Deaf person I know works, except those who are retired. I have a hard time even coming up with just one name of a d/Deaf who isn't working around here. Hmm ...

Really? I would have thought the opposite. It could be just where I live -- seems like every d/Deaf person I know works, except those who are retired. I have a hard time even coming up with just one name of a d/Deaf who isn't working around here. Hmm ...

Secretblend may be referring to ALL unemployment #'s. Since they only count those who are collecting unemployment, they're not getting everyone who is out looking for work. Many people probably are not collecting unemployment because they're not eligible for one reason or another, but they're still looking for work.

Correct. When the Federal government compiles its numbers for determining unemployment statistics it follows very strict guidelines.

The official definition is: "People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work."

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

Then it answer my question that full-time parents doesn't count as unemployed. Thank you.

Secretblend may be referring to ALL unemployment #'s. Since they only count those who are collecting unemployment, they're not getting everyone who is out looking for work. Many people probably are not collecting unemployment because they're not eligible for one reason or another, but they're still looking for work.

That makes sense.

All the more reason to not look at stats sometimes. They don't reflect the true picture, sometimes.

Back