Deaf Unemployment Rate @ 72.5%...!!!

I don't know if it is a difference between a deaf and a Deaf population. That's my question. The video seems to indicate it's a percentage of the Deaf Community. It doesn't say it's a percentage of deaf as a whole. I know a lot of deaf do not have high paying jobs, but I do not know the percentage of deaf unemployed as a whole.

I am hoh so I wonder where hoh people fit in this , a lot hearing people call me deaf and I am not deaf yet .

I am hoh so I wonder where hoh people fit in this , a lot hearing people call me deaf and I am not deaf yet .

I don't understand what you mean by not deaf. As I understand it, anyone with hearing loss is deaf(see below). If you mean you still have hearing or still can wear an aid, that does not preclude you from being deaf. You would be not deaf if you had full hearing.

Definition of deaf:
deaf
adjective: deaf; comparative adjective: deafer; superlative adjective: deafest
lacking the power of hearing or having impaired hearing.

Yes, I believe it is true and in here, many deaf people don't have job - they sticking with SSI or SSDI.

The deaf unemployment worsen about 25 years ago when massive textile mills closed and send to oversea, especially China.

If we exclude SSDI and SSI, it will probably around 50% deaf people looking for job but cannot found at all.

I don't understand what you mean by not deaf. As I understand it, anyone with hearing loss is deaf(see below). If you mean you still have hearing or still can wear an aid, that does not preclude you from being deaf. You would be not deaf if you had full hearing.

Definition of deaf:
deaf
I'm guessing it comes down to 'labels' and how each person views it.

According to my audiogram I am deaf (profoundly), 'functionally' I guess you could say I am hard of hearing with hearing aids. But I still call myself deaf because at the end of the day I can't hear squat and whatever hearing I do have is artificially enhanced. I think I've always called myself deaf since I was a kid...sometimes using the dreaded "hearing impaired" before I knew better.

Some people will just hang onto the notion that they are not deaf regardless of how they get their hearing (whether it's that they do have some hearing without aids (moderate maybe) or with hearing aids.

I think using deaf when you are hoh is a little harder. I am moderate to server hoh and when I tell people I am HoH they take it as I can hear their voices just fine. When I tell people I am deaf they tell me I am lying because I talk to well.
I did read this study about how if hoh can see them self as deaf and embrace it they will be more confident. I don't know if hoh could consider them selves deaf though. But if they are part of the Deaf world and culture I could see how they would consider themselves Deaf per say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I think using deaf when you are hoh is a little harder. I am moderate to server hoh and when I tell people I am HoH they take it as I can hear their voices just fine. When I tell people I am deaf they tell me I am lying because I talk to well.
I did read this study about how if hoh can see them self as deaf and embrace it they will be more confident. I don't know if hoh could consider them selves deaf though. But if they are part of the Deaf world and culture I could see how they would consider themselves Deaf per say

Thats a hearie strange idea.

That no Deaf can speak.

I havea golden tongue,and when a hearie hears me speak they tilt their heads like wee confused dogs..
Poor souls....

Somethings like being born hearis and Deaf as a kid, thus my golden tongue seems to ellude their understanding.....
It almost causes a stroke by the look of some of em.

Ah well..

Yes, I believe it is true and in here, many deaf people don't have job - they sticking with SSI or SSDI.

The deaf unemployment worsen about 25 years ago when massive textile mills closed and send to oversea, especially China.

If we exclude SSDI and SSI, it will probably around 50% deaf people looking for job but cannot found at all.

I don't know any deaf who are unemployed. I'm sure some in the larger group must be, but I don't know them. Those who do not have jobs because they now have children(single moms), but worked before, cannot be included. I have heard people are sticking to SSDI, but I don't know them personally either.

So, I'm thinking your estimate is more in line with overall deaf unemployment. It's not easy getting a job being deaf. Clearly, it's an up hill battle. But, I'm not sold on the 73% figure(for all deaf) either.

Definition of deaf:
deaf

I was told by two doctors that I am not deaf they said if I was deaf I would not be able to hear anything .

I was told by two doctors that I am not deaf they said if I was deaf I would not be able to hear anything .

Deafness like blindness has a wide spectrum.

Not every blind person cant see a damn thing...not every Deaf person cant hear a thing.

Any.doctor worth his salt should know this
If not
Find a better doctor, one at least more educated.

Not every blind person cant see a damn thing...not every Deaf person cant hear a thing.

If not

The excepted meaning of deaf has changed over the years and at one time it did mean complete loss. Whaddidyousay is of an age when, since we don't know when this was said to her, it could have been the excepted meaning.

The excepted meaning of deaf has changed over the years and at one time it did mean complete loss. Whaddidyousay is of an age when, since we don't know when this was said to her, it could have been the excepted meaning.

Good point..

If not

Not every HOH person thinks of themselves as being "deaf," so it makes sense that doctors and others who can hear normally wouldn't think that someone who thinks of themselves as deaf can perhaps hear. As far as I know, none of the HOH people in my family identifies as deaf. I don't think of myself as deaf, because no one has ever called me that, but also because I can still hear - I just don't hear everything or in all situations. It simply never would have occurred to me to refer to myself as being deaf. If I was filling out a questionnaire and I could only choose only "hearing" or "deaf" I'd choose "hearing." I'm HOH but I identify more as hearing than I do as deaf, and I probably still will until/unless I'm no longer able to hold a conversation without my hearing aids. Since joining Alldeaf.com, I've learned that some HOH people identify as deaf instead of as hearing, but until recently I'd never met a deaf person, so there wasn't really any opportunity for me to become aware of that previously.

Audiologically I have mild hearing "loss". I also have learning disabilities which include auditory processing issues, I believe. I identify as hoh in both the Deaf and hearing communities where I am because that's the most legitimate way locally for me to reference.

But because what I first described above, I do not identify as hearing or as "more hearing" as I'm a very visual person and value ASL perceive and understand things around me in a very visual sense. I tend to think in pictures or in what few signs I know and rely on my visual understanding to process most information.

there are what, 1000-2000 deaf schools employees who are deaf
4000 deaf federal employees
maybe 5000 deaf working in the private sector (retails, companies, etc).
so the 70% unemployment figures is too high

Audiologically I have mild hearing "loss". I also have learning disabilities which include auditory processing issues, I believe. I identify as hoh in both the Deaf and hearing communities where I am because that's the most legitimate way locally for me to reference.

But because what I first described above, I do not identify as hearing or as "more hearing" as I'm a very visual person and value ASL perceive and understand things around me in a very visual sense. I tend to think in pictures or in what few signs I know and rely on my visual understanding to process most information.

It's popular to assume that HOH kids are " more hearing" then audilogically deaf kids. I think the only difference is that they can learn to speak a little easier......other then that their edcuational and social needs are exactly the same!

You also have to take into a count the age group. Did they add in the baby boomers who are retired? Do they count as being unemployed? Also are there still rubella bulge deafies?

Back