Deaf twins who discovered they were going blind and would never see each other again

It's pretty sad when someone (in this case 2 people) makes the decision that being blind is something you'd want to kill yourself over.

It's pretty sad when someone (in this case 2 people) makes the decision that being blind is something you'd want to kill yourself over.

Even sadder that a government and medical establishment agreed with them.

Allowing this is just a small step away from eugenics being practiced with destruction of people the government, or medicine deems to have no usefulness or quality of life.

Even sadder that a government and medical establishment agreed with them.

Allowing this is just a small step away from eugenics being practiced with destruction of people the government, or medicine deems to have no usefulness or quality of life.

How so when the men ultimately made the choice themselves? They were shown to be sound enough to make this decision. I'm just trying to understand how it's a small step away from eugenics. I don't see it?

How so when the men ultimately made the choice themselves? They were shown to be sound enough to make this decision. I'm just trying to understand how it's a small step away from eugenics. I don't see it?

By making it a legitimate thing that death is preferable to deaf/blindness.

It's like letting someone make a decision to die because they have freckles.

By making it a legitimate thing that death is preferable to deaf/blindness.

It's like letting someone make a decision to die because they have freckles.

You're ignoring the fact that it was preferable for those two men.

Comparing the deaf and blind to having freckles is disingenous at best. They have to defend their basis for wanting to do so while showing that they are mentally sound and over 18.

Maybe not so hard to do after reading the end of that article...

Belgian lawmakers are considering a law that would extend euthanasia to dementia patients and children, whose families and doctors consented.

Wow. Children? Really?

I, myself, have SERIOUS problems with giving doctors the power to consent to anything but if the patient really wants to... pass on. I'm not so sure that I want to infringe on someone's desire (or right) to move on.

@NitroHonda. Who are you and why are you soooo discriminating against who are not perfect especially blind people but also deaf?

Being Blind or deaf is not that bad as there are other ways to accommodate them with devices and skill language like for the blind they can do tactical signs and walk with the canes or use service dogs. The thing is they want to chose over death is because they are depress and they need to have psychiatric help to deal with their blindness. It really not the end of the world. For serious illness like Cancer or like my husband who has bad liver and hernia that there is no cure to get him well. He had to die because of it. Blind or deaf is not dangerous to our health at all. It is entirely different concept what you, moron, think that being deaf and blind are bad.

Why are you here if you don't approve of them being alive than to be dead? Of course, that is their decision unless the doctors or their friends and family members make their decision for them. Who knows they did not have a choice but to say what the other people want them to say. Also there might be something that the deaf/blind brothers thought that they might burden on family members or friends who don't want to take care of the twins. Again, this is something that they should have gone for help to deal with their depression. Depression make them think about their suicide. That is a whole different thing all together. :mad:

I, myself, have SERIOUS problems with giving doctors the power to consent to anything but if the patient really wants to... pass on. I'm not so sure that I want to infringe on someone's desire (or right) to move on.

don't you have a serious problem with people choosing to die over something like blindness?

I'd say it's only a matter of time before this is allowed in our country. Americans as a whole are losing their sense of morals or values. This will not be far behind....

Laura

^^^ i know....
oil....
the 'die off' of excess population just you wait...

They both just wasted their lives. Such a shame.

I am sure the victims of the Connecticut shootings would gladly trade places with them.

I thought about this two identical men bonded by genetic structure to a degree that most lovers could only try to have. They had the same job. They spent their life their one life together. They must have had a uniquely strange existence here on earth going through the whole experience born nearly exactly alike and deaf as well, growing up realizing there was no one like them and developing their communication with each other they no doubt communicated by looking and knowing what the other thought eyes into eyes, face to identical face, already seeing the next move of the hand or twitch of the eyebrow. Deaf and then to go blind off into a void that would look to them like the void of death isolated from the world and then each other. Would you make them live?
So they could experience what? Psychic pain without end? Oh be optimistic and do what? I am sure they thought about all those alternatives... and said no we had what we had and now the end is coming to meet us.

don't you have a serious problem with people choosing to die over something like blindness?

Of course I do. My wife's side of the family has a lot of Deaf and blind so I know they can be happy enough. That being said... people who are determined to die are determined to die. Their reason for it matters none.

Of course I do. My wife's side of the family has a lot of Deaf and blind so I know they can be happy enough. That being said... people who are determined to die are determined to die. Their reason for it matters none.

because they didn't know any better unless somebody gives them a hope and shows them a way. they were not determined to die. that's suicide. they were not committing suicide.

shame on doctors for letting this happen. this is an absolutely clear violation of their hippocratic oath. these men were in perfect health and they were not dying from terminal illness. these doctors should be stripped of medical licenses.

@NitroHonda. Who are you and why are you soooo discriminating against who are not perfect especially blind people but also deaf?

as there are other ways to accommodate them with devices and skill language like for the blind they can do tactical signs and walk with the canes or use service dogs. The thing is they want to chose over death is because they are depress and they need to have psychiatric help to deal with their blindness. It really not the end of the world. For serious illness like Cancer or like my husband who has bad liver and hernia that there is no cure to get him well. He had to die because of it. Blind or deaf is not dangerous to our health at all. It is entirely different concept what you, moron, think that being deaf and blind are bad.

Why are you here if you don't approve of them being alive than to be dead? Of course, that is their decision unless the doctors or their friends and family members make their decision for them. Who knows they did not have a choice but to say what the other people want them to say. Also there might be something that the deaf/blind brothers thought that they might burden on family members or friends who don't want to take care of the twins. Again, this is something that they should have gone for help to deal with their depression. Depression make them think about their suicide. That is a whole different thing all together. :mad:

Thank you for calling me a moron. That made me feel all warm and gooey inside.

:giggle:

How am I discriminating against them? I don't think you know what that word really means.

bebonang said:
Being Blind or deaf is not that bad...

You know what you are doing? The same thing that hearing people do to me about my Deafness... They try to rationalize the level of my "disability". Think about that for a second while you try to diminish the lack of quality of life for a Deaf/blind person, especially twins in this case.

I agree that depression is in play here. This is where they must demonstrate that they are making a sound and sane decision to the doctors.... to be honest, I would be very very depressed if I lost my eyesight. I don't know if I would ever go as far as those twins did but I'd probably have thoughts about it. Blind and Deaf is a life of extreme solitude. It's livable but do not dismiss the fact that it is a HARD life.

And to answer your question about why am I here at alldeaf... I'm here because I'm Deaf.

:cool2:

because they didn't know any better unless somebody gives them a hope and shows them a way. they were not determined to die. that's suicide. they were not committing suicide.

shame on doctors for letting this happen. this is an absolutely clear violation of their hippocratic oath. these men were in perfect health and they were not dying from terminal illness. these doctors should be stripped of medical licenses.

Fair enough. I would like to see proof that they were depressed. The fact that two different people made this decision leads me to think otherwise.

And... yes... they committed suicide.

I rather die than go blind myself. It takes a special spirit to handle life blind and still be able to see the world using other senses sans hearing/etc. I know its my greatest fear.

There are too many people that rather die than suffer, and its a whole can of worms to open.

Back