Deaf Truck Drivers

Babyblue

Reaction score
Submitted by admin on Tue, 10/11/2011 - 20:32
The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) is pleased to announce that as a result of its ongoing advocacy with the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) more than twenty deaf and hard of hearing truck drivers who submitted applications for an exemption from the DOT hearing requirements through the NAD in July 2011 are now being considered for full Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL) including CDL A and B to drive vehicles with and without airbrakes.

The DOT through its regulations, has long required inpiduals seeking CDLs to satisfy Physical Qualification Standards before becoming eligible to receive a CDL. These Physical Qualification Standards include a requirement that unfairly barred deaf and hard of hearing people from driving commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce.

Although the NAD has long fought for equal access and opportunities for deaf truckers, this is the first time the United States Department of Transportation has agreed to consider waiving its hearing requirements for deaf drivers. The exemption applicants included deaf and hard of hearing men and women from all over the United States. The exemption applicants hope to win the right to obtain Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) to drive trucks nationwide.

If you would like to apply for an exemption from the DOT hearing requirements, it is not too late and the NAD is here to help. This program is offered by the NAD free of charge to deaf and hard of hearing drivers. The NAD will submit applications to DOT on behalf of all qualified drivers for full and equal CDLs to drive vehicles with and without airbrakes!

Deaf truckers who would like to apply for an exemption from the DOT hearing requirement should contact the NAD. Each driver will be asked to complete an application, and provide a copy of their state driving record and state driver’s license.
Deaf Truck Drivers Urged To Apply For CDL A And B Exemptions | National Association of the Deaf

I have a friend that is currently driving a truck and is Deaf. :) WTG!!!

This is great news! My boyfriend went deaf in one ear a year ago after suffering from a staph infection on the side of his head and he actually never told me about it until about a week ago when he asked if I had any old hearing aids. He needs to be able to hear in both ears to qualify for his CDL license. I am going to pass this article on to him, it might be helpful. Thanks for posting!

WOW!! Am gonna watch this closely.

Been wanting to get a Federal DOT myself.

One of the truck drivers is a person I went to school with. He is currently driving now, Cross Country. He post all about it on his facebook. He has been fighting it for a while along with other Deaf Truck Drivers. I am proud of them for fighting to get what they have been dreaming of doing for a long time.

A year after deaf truck drivers, I hope for a demographic to prove that deaf are much safe driver than hearing :)

A year after deaf truck drivers, I hope for a demographic to prove that deaf are much safe driver than hearing :)

We will find out. :)

Deaf people that wants to drive a truck are encourage to apply for their CDL

Back