Deaf Survivor Splits Deaf Community

Do you think Christy Smith represented the Deaf Community in a good way?

• YES - She showed how Deaf People truly are.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • NO - She misrepresented Deaf People.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • NEUTRAL - She did some good, some bad representation of Deafies.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

DeafDot

Reaction score
What do you think?

Personally, I think Christy Smith could've done a better job of representing the Deaf Community in OUR true light, not what Hearing people want to see. :ugh:
----------------------------------------------------------------
'Survivor' contestant splits deaf community
By Tanya Barrientos
Inquirer Staff Writer

Christy Smith (left) is not using sign language on “Survivor,” which troubles some in the deaf community.

If Christy Smith, the first disabled competitor on Survivor, thinks she's facing adversity in the Brazilian jungle, wait till she gets back home and faces some of her deaf fans.

As the newest and most visible deaf celebrity on TV, Smith, 24, has become a magnet not only for praise, but also scathing criticism.

On one hand, the deaf community is proud of the Colorado native who is a graduate of Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., the world's only liberal-arts college for the deaf.

But on the other, many deaf people are angry that she is not openly displaying more pride in deaf culture. They want her to use sign language when she speaks, and to teach other members of her all-female tribe how to sign.....

MORE...

Last edited:
I think Christy Smith should've use sign language when she speaks, just to show respect of the deaf culture though

Damn. Nobody complained at me that I did not use my signing very often in my home because I was trying to talk to my family. Same idea to her. Geez.

Originally posted by DeafDot What do you think?

Personally, I think Christy Smith could've done a better job of representing the Deaf Community in OUR true light, not what Hearing people want to see. :ugh:

Sorry, but I disagree.

Last time I checked... Christy Smith isn't owned by Deaf Community. She is her own person, deaf community didn't create her.

Originally posted by Steel
I think Christy Smith should've use sign language when she speaks, just to show respect of the deaf culture though

Again, this "Deaf Culture" thing...

I know that we have a community, but there is NO "D"eaf Culture.

Deaf Culture was, in fact created in 1988 purely for political reasons, not ethical reasons.

Enough said.

From the article...

"Deaf people should be proud of signing," said Fred Turner, 16, a ninth grader at the Pennsylvania school, where both students and teachers have been watching the show closely. "Be proud of being deaf."

Why is a 16 year-old student in grade 9?

Perhaps they should be hitting the books instead of watching the TV?

Absolutely!

Christy Smith would say the same thing, I betcha!

Well...for one thing, Christy is a "womyn". She went against a group of machoist and defeated them in some trial runs. There is not a whole lot of womyn who would have grudginly gone against men who are naturally better in athleticism. Men are naturally bigger and stronger in physical attributes. Womyn are not as big as men but hell-we're gaining to be on the same pedestal as them. So, Christy proved herself to be the ulitmate womyn! (Notice I do not spell women becuz there's "men" with the wo. So instead, I spell it as womyn to define our gender more strongly for we are NOT under men, or controlled by men!)

Secondly, as for Christy not signing much on the Survivor- I must honestly say I was kind of disappointed but that's her choice. Who are we to judge what kind of person is she if we have not met her in person? Perhaps there's an underlying reason as to why she did not sign? Perhaps, she signs terribly? I can come up with a list of s**t but I do not reserve the right to judge her or make criticism against her when she tried and succeed in becoming involved with the hearing world and showing what she is capable of doing.

Get it?

I watched the show with kids during our recreation time and it sucked. We were like "WTF?" Christy's brave enough to be on a national television show but she sucks...

It did piss some deaf students off, indeedy.

I wonder if she wins, if you guys will change your opinions and be like YAY a deaf woman won......

"They are particularly critical of her choosing to read lips and speak instead of insisting on a sign-language interpreter during the Darwinian game show. Those choices are particularly insulting to strong proponents of deaf culture."

I would think it is ridiculous if Christy demanded an interpreter cuz the show is about surviving in the world without having to depend on people most of time to help them out.

:squint:

I am all for Christy being herself, and doing what she has to do to "survive" in the game. I was disappointed to see that she didn't sign at all in the show. When I thought about it, 36 days in the jungle, the last thing on these hearies' minds is to learn sign language. She just had to do what she could to fit into the group. She has my full support.

I voted neutral because I am afraid that the hearing audience will see Christy as a model for all deaf ppl. So, if hearing person meets me and see that I don't read lips and talk as great as Christy does, he might think I am stupid or something. Sadly, hearing people do stereotype after models and compare.

I am impress Christy tell his team have to use light during night time. Go Christy Go!!

I think no matter if she signs or speaks. Just be proud of herself and be the way she is. Just let her show what she can do. Not for everyone. Remember everyone is very unique individual.

Well I think she should at least signs to show how proud she made it so far.

Originally posted by Angelcat
I think no matter if she signs or speaks. Just be proud of herself and be the way she is. Just let her show what she can do. Not for everyone. Remember everyone is very unique individual.

right on

I agree with you, Angelcat, about Christy doing her thing.

But the reality is that most of the audience is hearing ppl.
They will see that Christy can do it. Then they will wonder why not all deaf ppl are like her. They will think that deaf ppl are stupid if they cant read lips or speak well.

Back