Deaf student still aims at music career

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
NTV - KHGI/KWNB/WSWS-CA - Where your news comes first. - Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings, Lincoln | Deaf student still aims at music career

While he can hear only extremely loud noises and communicates by means of typing on a computer, Vichay Phommachan recently took advantage of an opportunity to fulfill his dream to be the next American Idol.

The 22-year-old living in Tecumseh says his goal is to become the first Asian-American deaf male artist and entertainer.

Although he was born able to hear, Phommachan became deaf after having a high fever when he was 3 years old.

He recently auditioned for the "American Idol" television show in Omaha.

Because Phommachan is unable to communicate verbally, his singing style during the 30-second audition consisted of him interpreting the lyrics of the song through sign language.

I sure hope he can get on and that Simon Coward will be nice. He'll be better than the other people who have been on, including, well gee, everyone!! :D In fact, I never even heard of Simon and the other guy until they were introduced on that show. Paula Abdul, I know who she is, but I have no opinion of her "talent" or the other two.

I think and believe a deaf and hoh person can make their goal come true if they work hard at it, if a deaf person want to study music and learn to make music can make it. We need more deaf people out there to make their life a sucess to do what they set their mind to do what they want. Don't let anyone tell you different to tell you that you can't do this or can't do that and telling deaf and hoh people that they not accpeted to do what they wants with there dreams. I say kick some serious asses out there. :)

I really admire this kid's courage. Even if he doesn't realize his dream of being on American Idol, he at least has made the effort to open people's eyes and give a realistic perspective of deafness. Anyone who sees him perform...the judges included...will come away from the experience with a new found respect for the deaf.

I really admire this kid's courage. Even if he doesn't realize his dream of being on American Idol, he at least has made the effort to open people's eyes and give a realistic perspective of deafness. Anyone who sees him perform...the judges included...will come away from the experience with a new found respect for the deaf.

I agree with you, it takes lot of courage for a kid to go for what he wants to do. Let hope the judge give a deaf person a chance of being on american Idol. Hope Simon don't be too harsh! geez

Back