Deaf Student Dies During Wrestling Practice

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbc6.net/news/2799254/detail.html

Cause Of Death Under Investigation

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Officials at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind are investigating the death of a 17-year-old deaf student who collapsed at wrestling practice.

Esdras D'Haiti of Miami was on the sidelines at a wrestling practice in the gymnasium Monday evening when he collapsed against one of his coaches. Coaches and a nurse tried to help revive him, but he was pronounced dead at Flagler Hospital.

School officials said this was D'Haiti's first year at the residential school. The cause of his death is under investigation.

The school is providing counseling to students who request it. Memorial arrangements have not been announced.

I got an email about that from my friend today this morning. U know some sport student sudden died from Physical reasons. That are most cases Of my Knowledge..

I hope it wasn't some weight-related reason. There's a chronic disease for atheles, especially when it comes to wrestlers, to stay under a certain weight for competition. For wrestlers, they would do their damned best to stay under the next-up weight class in order to dominate the lighter classes.

That would mean they would vomit up food, not drink water until after being weighed, and generally working off every last bit of sweat and blood until they were able to weigh in for that lighter class.

What happens if you exert yourself to the level that these wrestlers do, and not get enough sustenence and water? You can cause heart disease, weaker bones, and un-repaired muscles. The atheles do it anyway because it's all about winning, and they can "fix it after the season."

Again, I hope it wasn't that, and that it was something else.

That is sad!!! 17 years old.. same age as one of my brother.. Maybe that wrestler have eating disorder or take some illegal meds to keep himself strong??

Cheri said:
I got an email about that from my friend today this morning. U know some sport student sudden died from Physical reasons. That are most cases Of my Knowledge..

yuppie, i been read some sport student died from physical reasons and wonders me lot because you and me play sports and much alive. they need some of research how that cause them dies.

racheleggert said:
That is sad!!! 17 years old.. same age as one of my brother.. Maybe that wrestler have eating disorder or take some illegal meds to keep himself strong??
It could be anything. There have been a lot of known cases where athletes just collapse in the middle of the game for no reason.

VamPyroX said:
It could be anything. There have been a lot of known cases where athletes just collapse in the middle of the game for no reason.
yeah... i'm sadden to hear that a wrestler died... i have heard many other athletes died druing practice... Football is the major occurance... track too.. now wrestling? who knows.. it reminds me of football player Corey Stinger.. the Vikings player.. our beloved player died druing practice :/ and other high school football teams died druing practice..

i pray that student to be in god's hand..

I've heard of kids that collapse in mid classes or activities. When I was in middle school, in my P.E. class, we were to run four blocks around our school which is a big property. A 13 years old who is kinda chubby collapsed after two rounds in my track. The coach was nowhere to supervise us, I had to help him get up but he couldn't breath at all so I ran to my coach and told him what happened. Afterward, I never saw him around again. That story had brought me the memory of that inicident at my middle school. I think he died when he was taken to the hospital. We never heard what happened to him. I guess the school never was to let anyone know what happened and avoided the liability of the boy's health.
I believe that all coaches should exam their students's physical and accomadation to their needs. My middle school never had us examed except for a back spine exam.

yeah... that story remind me of my classmate, Shawn Eaton, whose died on graduation day just moment right after he received his diploma and waved :ily: to the audience then walk off the stage and collasped to toward his seat... Nurses tried to help revive him, but he was pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital. My heart goes out to ppl :(

pimpdaddyposse said:
yeah... that story remind me of my classmate, Shawn Eaton, whose died on graduation day just moment right after he received his diploma and waved :ily: to the audience then walk off the stage and collasped to toward his seat... Nurses tried to help revive him, but he was pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital. My heart goes out to ppl :(
Why did he die?

VamPyroX said:
Why did he die?
something related to his heart that could be fixed few years and it's unnoticeable but if doctor check with heart then it can be fixed... but Shawn's mother end up suing the doctor for not informing her.... she had the evidences...

Hmm he probably pushed himself to the limit. If they continues to do this then your body cant take it and it become a health problem or you can die. It happends if they dont take it easy.

Back