Deaf social in charlotte nc

Maggiesmom

Reaction score
So they are having a deaf social in Charlotte NC in August at carowinds , I think it'd be fun (plus I've never been to an amusement park before ) anyway back to the point , I think It'd be a good chance for Maggie to maybe make some friends. I asked the event organizers if anyone would mind that my husband and I are hearing, and he's a CODA but obviously a two year would need constant supervision. I had one response say sure no problem and then one response said they'd need to check but thanked me for asking. I don't want to step on any toes , what do you guys think? I know she's not going to be able to do rides but I think she'd have a blast at the water park section. Do you guys think it's ok?

thinking you have right to be there, some other Deaf there too, cool. deaf baby are fun, have fun play water

I don't see why not. Carowinds is right on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina... have been there at least once. Hmm I might look into it and go (if I am not attending my bootcamp- still working on funding through maybe VR...and my fundraising is at a standstill now :( ).

I don't see why not. Carowinds is right on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina... have been there at least once. Hmm I might look into it and go (if I am not attending my bootcamp- still working on funding through maybe VR...and my fundraising is at a standstill now :( ).
If it's not to personal of a question but what is the fundraising for? Don't feel obligated to answer that, also I am going to try and find the link to the carowinds thing and post it back on here

If it's not to personal of a question but what is the fundraising for? Don't feel obligated to answer that, also I am going to try and find the link to the carowinds thing and post it back on here

It's a long story but the short version is I'm hoping to attend coding bootcamp (basically an intense 12 week course learning coding related to "Full Stack Development"- HTML/CSS, javascript, Java etc. I've been out of work for a while now and think this may help boost my career (most of my experience is in COBOL). I'm currently working with VR but that's still up in the air including how much they are able to cover.

here's the link...
https://www.gofundme.com/duckygoesttotiy

Thank you for the event link! I will go check it out.

Been there a lot. Not a crazy fan on roller coasters, but certainly there are many other things to do at the amusement park.

Hey!! I moved to Charlotte a few years ago. I live about 10 minutes away from Carowinds. They (I don't remember exactly who) were selling Carowinds tickets at a discount for Deaf folks for a particular weekend last year. I brought my hearing husband and had no problems!

It's a long story but the short version is I'm hoping to attend coding bootcamp (basically an intense 12 week course learning coding related to "Full Stack Development"- HTML/CSS, javascript, Java etc. I've been out of work for a while now and think this may help boost my career (most of my experience is in COBOL). I'm currently working with VR but that's still up in the air including how much they are able to cover.

here's the link...

COBOL never dies.

COBOL never dies.

Nope... it's almost the one constant in the changing world of programming languages lol. It's a workhorse! I love Mainframe and COBOL so would rather stay with it if I can...

Yo, DD. Full stack dev. Props!

here's the link...

Yo, DD. Full stack dev. Props!

Thanks man! Unfortunately I'm back to square one in finding a program or bootcamp. The one I was set to attend is closing down all it's campuses. They'll finish the July 17th one (the one I was SUPPOSED to be in but deferred thanks to (lack of) money. Still working on it...

Thanks man! Unfortunately I'm back to square one in finding a program or bootcamp. The one I was set to attend is closing down all it's campuses. They'll finish the July 17th one (the one I was SUPPOSED to be in but deferred thanks to (lack of) money. Still working on it...

If it helps, I can ask around for recommendations?

The one I was set to attend is closing down all it's campuses

WTF, I went to https://www.theironyard.com/ and see they are closing indeed. Several years ago I was contacted by a recruiter to work for them as a teacher. Good thing I passed on it!

Change of subject, have you at least considered starting pet projects or even do some kind of freelance or even volunteer coding work? I know it's not much but it would be a good way to build up experience plus can lead to other paying opportunities. When I was graduating college way back in 2002 the job market was really rough and having a class project wasn't going to cut it. So I started a business making and selling software for the now defunct Palm Pilot. I didn't make a ton of money from it but I got a full-time job from it because recruiters were impressed with the initiative I took on it.

And speaking as a full-time programmer (been working in the same company for the past 10 years) I would have to say the ability to learn and troubleshoot issues is more important than taking a class. Anyone can take a class but it takes a special person to dive into the unknown and figure out a workable solution.

Just something to think about, good luck!

If it helps, I can ask around for recommendations?

Thank you- if you can that would be great :)

Thanks AN- yeah- no idea why. Dev CodeCamp also shut down- that one I just saw today somewhere.

I do remember the job market being rough around 2002 as I was laid off from my job in CO, moved home in 2003 then spent the new 2ish years looking for work.

I will probably give it another shot with freecodecamp. Two problems I know I have is a)I ain't too creative lol and b)I tend to get distracted easy if I 'self teach/learn' though I know I do fine usually once I get into it to the point I don't always go to bed lol--> witness dealing with my sister's laptop right now- became the de-facto IT Guy for everyone in family.. (yes I put it on my resume lol - what the hell).
So.. need to figure out some kind of project(s). I did set up a GitHub early on with freecode camp- but in a way I stopped because I felt like all I was doing was googling more than I ought to.

Might also look into UNCC or CPCC. Strayer U I don't really trust at all...

Thank you both :).
The funds I do have... will probably go for a better laptop. Mine is 9 years old with XP still on it lol. Will probably sell it if I get around to cleaning it out.

Back