Deaf senior dies 'frightened, alone' in hospital during canadian hearing society strike

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The deaf community in northern Ontario is worried about people falling through the cracks without access to the service of interpreters.

Workers with the Canadian Hearing Society have been on the picket line for eight weeks.

North Bay resident Ernest Guillemette, 86, died in hospital last week without any way to communicate with doctors or nurses, say his friends. His interpreter was on the picket line.

Richardo Boochoon, Guillemette's friend, told CBC's Up North that Guillemette spent his last days in the hospital in North Bay "frightened" and "alone" while Canadian Hearing Society workers continue to strike.
Boochoon is also deaf, and spoke to CBC through an interpreter.

"If you can imagine, he doesn't have an interpreter, and a nurse comes up poking him in the arm," Boochoon said. "Maybe it's a blood transfusion, he has no idea what it's for."

"What's this medication? Is it morphine or is it Gravol? There's no one there to help him understand fully what was going on."

(Read More)...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/chs-strike-drags-on-1.4087152

I'm not familiar with Canada's interpreter situation, so maybe someone can clarify for me.

Are all interpreters required to belong to a union?

Doesn't Canada's national health system cover the interpreters' medical needs?

I've heard a few ugly stories of Ontario SOP being to allow older disabled people to die without make efforts toward vigorous treatment. however, We do not know much about this individual's situation. RIP

Well this is sad :(
I don't know the terp issue but in my opinion, they all agreed to help people understand what is happening and they just walked away from that. That is sad.

I am not familiar either but have seen many posts and vlogs about it from one of my FB friends who happens to be Canadian. Apparently a complex issue.

Sad that this happened though...

Back