Deaf selling ASL cards?

shimo

Reaction score
I saw a man going around to different stores on my street trying to sell ASL cards. They were green, and I guess each one had a different sign on it or something, but is this legitimate?

He acted deaf, but it struck me as odd that an actual Deaf person would go around trying to sell ASL cards when it would be better for the language to offer ASL lessons, or to gather a group of students to tutor.

Is this common or is this some kind of scam by fake deaf?

I've heard stories about some of them being fake. Best way to find out is to sign to them without moving your mouth and voice and see how they react. I'm sure some of them are legitimate and that gives deaf people a bad name when they do that.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I don't care if they're really deaf or not - they're a disgrace and perpetuate the lie that deaf aren't able to hold proper good jobs etc. (The entire Local Deaf Community and every Deaf person I've ever met feels likewise).

I don't care if they are deaf or not. I don't even care if they sell the cards or not. IRS CARES! :lol:

I've seen it a lot, yes it's common. However, a lot of them do in fact tend to be fakers. They sell the cards for $1.00 a piece usually, and do decently well at it. *shrug* I just ask if they know ASL in ASL and if they look at me like I'm stupid I give them a lecture they don't want... :laugh2:

In Washington DC, I was acting like a hearing person, I actually bought fake deaf person's ASL card, then give card back to that person, and tell him "you need to learn ASL".

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I don't care if they're really deaf or not - they're a disgrace and perpetuate the lie that deaf aren't able to hold proper good jobs etc. (The entire Local Deaf Community and every Deaf person I've ever met feels likewise).

This describes exactly why I was bothered by this interaction.

I signed with the person to test them and the person instantly panicked and ran off.

That's happened to me too, many times...to find their brand new car was parked behind the shopping center!....:lol:....well, it doesn't deter them...they just don't care one way or the other....And now near the Holidays, we'll be seeing more and more of 'em...

No scam from these examples of ASL cards

Back in the 1990's I went to a United Church of Christ denomination wide event and there was an interpreter there that worked for an agency that provided vocational services (Good Shepherd Vocational Services located in Allentown, PA — I have no idea if they are still around or not) who had the ASL alphabet on the back of her business card.

Then years later I got one from an agency in Illinois, ITAC (not an individual). It has contact information, how to call someone that uses a TTY through Illinois Relay and numbers in ASL on one side and the ASL alphabet on the other.

I still have these two cards in my billfold.

When I was in college I knew a woman that was HOH and we spoke a few times , I do not know ASL so we did not sign to one another .

When it came time to renew my driving license I went to a mall and there was that woman trying to sell ASL cards to people in line. The cards had 'I am deaf and mute' printed on them. The woman saw me and got uptight looking and was trying to not notice me , she did not want me to start talking to her. I should had said 'Hi" and ask how she is doing" to her. That woman was a fake , she could talk and hear with her HA on.

I signed with the person to test them and the person instantly panicked and ran off.

LOL!
Years ago I was at my g/f house and 2 guys came to her house. One guy was 'blind' the second guy was leading him to the house. My g/f mother answers the door and the second guy said he selling something to help his 'blind' friend. The mother said "No thank" Then all 3 of us run to a window and watch both guys run back to their car. The 'blind' guy got into the car with no help.
I can't remember what the guys where trying to sell but we knew he was not blind.

Some deaf people don't sign though.... so it's kind of hard to tell. Personally if they're handing out ASL cards, I would think they'd know how to though! :D

Most common is always the hearing who try to fake as being Deaf or Hard Of Hearing just to earn $1.00 if the person buy the ASL card. That is shameful and not right. I don't like that, either. :(

Just wondering if you have heard that a police officer asks an ASL card seller for an ID or business license like asking a hot dog vendor for a license to make sure that it's reported to IRS.

Just wondering if you have heard that a police officer asks an ASL card seller for an ID or business license like asking a hot dog vendor for a license to make sure that it's reported to IRS.

I think that when a police officer asks a question like that, they are making sure local laws are followed vs being concerned with the IRS......

Some deaf people don't sign though.... so it's kind of hard to tell. Personally if they're handing out ASL cards, I would think they'd know how to though! :D

Yeah but this woman was trying to sell cards that said she was a deaf mute. And that was not true. I spoke to her in college a few times , she could talk she was not mute.

These people don't care about having a Peddler's License...when I was stopped at the shopping center....the Police Substation was right there close by the grocery store...and when I asked *signed* to let me see her License...she replied she had left it at home....:lol:....so I pointed out the Police Substation and told her she was liable to get arrested....or run off the property....

It's embarrassing since I'm deaf myself and see my neighbors and friends at the shopping center....

Wirelessly posted

I have seen them and like many stated already. They give us deafies a bad name.

Back