Deaf schools and area advice

Evie Yancey

Reaction score
So I've got two years of high school left and I plan on majoring in Deaf Education. I want to teach Deaf students on a high school level. Because of my health problems I can only live in a few states that won't set off symptoms and cause problems. The top 4 states I want to live in that will work with my health problems are California, Oregon, New York or Pennsylvania. Right now I live in Utah and I plan on getting my education at UVU because of the programs and scholarships I've received.
Does anybody know what the school environments and the surrounding communities are like in those states I listed? I realize things will change over the years but I'm just trying to get an idea about areas for when that time comes. Any advice helps, thanks for everything.

I'm not too much into the school scene etc, just observing and reading here on AD but I do know there are good schools in both NY and California. There are several in NY if I remember right. Oregon is good but don't know much. As for Pennsylvania- there are two- PSD- it's now more or less a day school but last I heard it isn't as good as it once was. WPSD is good (Western PA School for the Deaf). I have a friend who works there and has for many many years; it's located in Pittsburgh. Hm there's also one in Scranton PA (Northeastern PA).

If you are in northern CA there CA School for the Deaf - Fremont. In southern CA there is CA School for the Deaf - Riverside. I am sure there are smaller schools but those are the two big one is CA. I spent many years in northern CA and some time working at CSDF. There is a large Deaf community in East Bay Area (Hayward, Fremont, San Leandro, etc.) as well as a large community in the Sacramento area.

So I've got two years of high school left and I plan on majoring in Deaf Education. I want to teach Deaf students on a high school level. Because of my health problems I can only live in a few states that won't set off symptoms and cause problems. The top 4 states I want to live in that will work with my health problems are California, Oregon, New York or Pennsylvania. Right now I live in Utah and I plan on getting my education at UVU because of the programs and scholarships I've received.
Does anybody know what the school environments and the surrounding communities are like in those states I listed? I realize things will change over the years but I'm just trying to get an idea about areas for when that time comes. Any advice helps, thanks for everything.

UNC in Colorado has a great Deaf education program. Then Rocky Mountain Deaf School is the newer SFD in Denver and is AWESOME. So both would be good. You didn't list CO but you live in UT and we're really similar.

I'm not too much into the school scene etc, just observing and reading here on AD but I do know there are good schools in both NY and California. There are several in NY if I remember right. Oregon is good but don't know much. As for Pennsylvania- there are two- PSD- it's now more or less a day school but last I heard it isn't as good as it once was. WPSD is good (Western PA School for the Deaf). I have a friend who works there and has for many many years; it's located in Pittsburgh. Hm there's also one in Scranton PA (Northeastern PA).
PSD prolly isn't AWESOME but it most likely has potential. You could help improve it. There's also a very small Catholic School for the Deaf in Philly. http://stl.ocephila.org/

I am from new york. I currently work at a facility that initially was for the deaf community, teaching speech therapy (ASL was still used in the teaching) and now we still use it even though we also get students with mental disabilities. Both Jamestown, Jamestown and Rochester are better known for their deaf communities. RIT is huge, and Buffalo has St. Mary's School for the Deaf.

Back