Deaf Rights Case

brotheryellow

Reaction score
a couple years ago I was let go from a deli job because of communication problems. I filed a disability discrimination case with EEOC but nothing came of it. apparently justice costs money :shock: but I couldnt even find a damn lawyer anyway who would take the case! read more here Has ADA helped anyone here?

so typical aye
thats a sort of thing sorely need, interpreters are so 'too important' than this , GRRR wht happens to you is REAL and it happens too often..and too often its never admitted or spoken up....

here watch this docu, about the distortion on a fairly related thing...hearie's preferance to 'shape' Deaf issues......grrrr

what is all of it....its from NZ, and its me, i made this docu....

Part 1
NZSLDocu Part1 - YouTube
Part 2
NZSLDocu Part2 - YouTube
part 3
NZSLDocu Part3 - YouTube
part 4
NZSLDocu Part4 - YouTube
part 5
NZSLDocu Part5 - YouTube
part 6
NZSLDocu Part6 - YouTube
part 7
NZSLDocu Part7 - YouTube
part 8
NZSLDocu Part8 - YouTube

and share it if you can.....

a couple years ago I was let go from a deli job because of communication problems. I filed a disability discrimination case with EEOC but nothing came of it. apparently justice costs money :shock: but I couldnt even find a damn lawyer anyway who would take the case! read more here Has ADA helped anyone here?

What exactly did they say to you? It can be hard to prove they let you go because of your deafness. If a lawyer refuses to take it, it must mean there wasn't enough proof for him to win the case.

lawyers are hopeless, we need more work done on, discrimination laws. alot more, thats just my view

Are you sure that's why they let you go...... because some of the things I've seen.... I wouldn't be surprised if there was other reasons....

A second thing to consider, why in the hell would they hire you knowing full well you were deaf and then fire you for being deaf? Just a thought to gnaw on.... I'm not saying deaf discrimination doesn't exist out there...because it definitely does... but it usually exists in the light of not hiring the Deaf. I'm also just saying your case in particular...

h41B42521

always think laws are shit and jusctice don't exist,Law and justice sooooooooooooooooo different

lawyers are hopeless, we need more work done on, discrimination laws. alot more, thats just my view
Discrimination laws still need to be litigated, which means involving lawyers. A law is only as strong as its enforcement.

I have been through legal battle in the past, getting attorney is not easy, because attorney wants ROCK HARD evidence, without them, attorney can lose money on cases that deemly unwinnable. Problem with legal is that it is just a black n white, nothing else. They don't accept loosely evidence, or just a word of mouth without documents supporting the case. Yea, money talks.

Really, if you got paper trail of evidences or several hard evidences connecting dot to dot clearly, then you could have a case, but if you don't. then SOL.

Also, did they really "Let it go" with your position? "Let it go" is much weaker than being fired. Its much easier to build a case when one gets fired then one gets let go.

I know it is hell, not easy really. I also know somebody who went through legal BS with employment discrimination for about 2 or 3 years, winded up lost the case and couldn't find job afterwards for few years already and counting.

Lastly, from my experience it is better to let it go than chasing down employer's throat over discrimination because it can do more harm than good in long term. Once you go down that path, the chances are you could lose case, and lose plenty of future employment opportunities because others will check with your former employer... the worst thing when they hear you were sued, scares shitless out of these future potential employers.

Also, if you look for job and got interview date, and they asked you why you leave previous job. Simply explained to them that you were willing to work out with previous employer but didn't work out and they (Previous employer) let you go, which usually makes you look better that way and increasing chances that you will receive their offer.

Think about it, buddy. Do what you think is right. Wish you luck!

If the boss said that you must go because of communication problems, that's a violation of ADA/EEO law.

So was that actually a reason why you got fired?

First of all, he was not fired, he was let go by employer. That term is very loosen, and could mean anything really.
Secondly, any verbal explanation is worthless when it comes to legal matter. Meaning if one say so, but not document on black and white then it is DEAD case, period.

Secondly, most of the time, companies have their attorney on their side and have set policies that prevents any future lawsuits. They aren't stupid because they have dealt with it too many times to the point they figured out HOW to protect themselves. This is why it is much harder to sue companies for discrimination, injury, and so on, not like when it was 30 years ago where one can easily become millionaire on lawsuits.

If the boss said that you must go because of communication problems, that's a violation of ADA/EEO law.

So was that actually a reason why you got fired?

Brotheryellow, do you mean that you were fired? Did the employer give you a written document for your dismissal?

Without laws, how would people attain justice?

I see two opposing views on this topic, Reba. One from the hearing persons perspective, the other deaf.

Laws are in place. Yet most of deaf community doesn't see "justice being served" in discrimination cases.

Your statement came across as a bit polarizing in my perspective.

I see two opposing views on this topic, Reba. One from the hearing persons perspective, the other deaf.

Laws are in place. Yet most of deaf community doesn't see "justice being served" in discrimination cases.

Your statement came across as a bit polarizing in my perspective.
Unless I misunderstood your post, what about interpreters who are hearies like Reba? I am sure many of them are on deaf side since they know very well how frustrating deafies communicate with hearies.

First of all, he was not fired, he was let go by employer. That term is very loosen, and could mean anything really.
Secondly, any verbal explanation is worthless when it comes to legal matter. Meaning if one say so, but not document on black and white then it is DEAD case, period.

Secondly, most of the time, companies have their attorney on their side and have set policies that prevents any future lawsuits. They aren't stupid because they have dealt with it too many times to the point they figured out HOW to protect themselves. This is why it is much harder to sue companies for discrimination, injury, and so on, not like when it was 30 years ago where one can easily become millionaire on lawsuits.
Oh well, an employer must be specific when an employee is "let go". The fancy term is usually "termination" or "removal". The employer should give a reason for termination/removal such as poor attendance, poor job performance, no longer needed or zero tolerance (violence, sexual harassment, intoxication, etc). If the employer doesn't give any of those reasons, obviously it's an act of discrimination (fat, old, handicapped, race, gay/lesbian, etc).

I understand that small businesses don't work the same way as big businesses. For example, my employer, USPS sends a letter of removal to an employee for poor attendance instead of a supervisor talking to the employee face to face. The letter always includes a reason for removal.

Discrimination laws still need to be litigated, which means involving lawyers. A law is only as strong as its enforcement.

my point is, from further up that, not enforcement, but re-writing laws .....from governmental levels......

Oh well, an employer must be specific when an employee is "let go". The fancy term is usually "termination" or "removal". The employer should give a reason for termination/removal such as poor attendance, poor job performance, no longer needed or zero tolerance (violence, sexual harassment, intoxication, etc). If the employer doesn't give any of those reasons, obviously it's an act of discrimination (fat, old, handicapped, race, gay/lesbian, etc).

I understand that small businesses don't work the same way as big businesses. For example, my employer, USPS sends a letter of removal to an employee for poor attendance instead of a supervisor talking to the employee face to face. The letter always includes a reason for removal.

yes i acknowledge that too \,as it is partially the reason why law hasn't changed, as many would deemed it as impractical...... a real hairball.....for sure.....

Unless I misunderstood your post, what about interpreters who are hearies like Reba? I am sure many of them are on deaf side since they know very well how frustrating deafies communicate with hearies.

Allow me to expand on my post.

You can gather in this thread alone that Grummer, Brotheryellow, caz, and diehardbiker express similar feelings about the justice system. That feeling, where they feel that the justice system favors the companies, not the little man, is valid. There has been hundred of thousands discriminating issues in the workforce for the deaf. How many do we actually see reach fruition? Just a handful.

For a hearing person, regardless of his/her employment or relationship with the deaf community, to come in here and say these things ...
Without laws, how would people attain justice?
... only means they are not seeing things in the deaf perspective. They have not entirely experienced our feelings in the world of employment. They have never faced the issues personally. They may see it from an outside perspective, but to understand it like a victim it takes an actual personal experience. That is where the 4 people in this thread share the same feelings.

It takes BLATANT, OBVIOUS, and REPETITIVE discrimination for something to actually happen in the justice system. Otherwise it's a losing case for 99.95% of the population, and we know it. That's why you see deaf people expressing their anger about it.

When an outsider (hearing person to the deaf community, white person to a black community, straight person to a gay community, etc) comes in and say "oh, we have the justice system, use it" it's offensive because the community is saying "We have tried, and it's not working, so we're here trying to find a better way to reach our goals."

Do you understand where I am coming from now?

Back