Deaf Research Paper Topic

marcyp06

Reaction score
I've been assigned a (3 page minimum) research paper for my ASL class. On ANY topic in Deaf Culture. Im a good writer and really enjoy research... but this is such a BROAD spectrum of topics I can discuss... and im totally lost! Any suggestions? I want something UNIQUE!

I was going to respond with Ecclesiastics 1:9, which can be summarised as "Everything new has already happened before", but thought I should be serious, so...

Perhaps entertainment amongst the deaf population as a comparison to the hearing population?

Do deaf people go to the movies as often? For the same reasons? Are they more or less likely to meet new people as they go out for entertainment?

Whatever you do, you'll probably require academic sources, I suspect, so try not to be too unique, otherwise may get hurt with your marks. :)

Well - what really interests you? do the deaf culture have same thing in common with you?

love?
marriage?
sex?
what would you do show situations?
asl vs exact signed english?
tattoos?

Marcyp06- an interesting topic for your research-why "many latedeafened persons" get Cochlear Implants and don't "learn" ASL/BSL et al"? A current "battle" between "oral vs cultural"deaf.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Marcyp06- an interesting topic for your research-why "many latedeafened persons" get Cochlear Implants and don't "learn" ASL/BSL et al"? A current "battle" between "oral vs cultural"deaf.

That has been done to death, and the answer is blatantly obvious. And it is not a battle between oral vs signing deaf. Late deafened issues generally are not even a consideration in Deaf Culture.

How about the scarcity of deaf churches as a whole?

I know a lot of faiths will have deaf interpreters, but there are not enough of them around. I am now a part of a deaf church. The terp, when she's there, interprets for the hearing people who come with their families. I read her lips as I am not proficient enough in ASL, but am learning more.

There is no battle with late-deafened adults who chose to get CIs and not learn ASL/BSL. That's in your head.

There is a conflict between Deaf and parents of babies who want them to be implanted and raise them oral only.

How about the scarcity of deaf churches as a whole?

I know a lot of faiths will have deaf interpreters, but there are not enough of them around. I am now a part of a deaf church. The terp, when she's there, interprets for the hearing people who come with their families. I read her lips as I am not proficient enough in ASL, but am learning more.

That is a great idea! I don't think I have ever seen that topic done.

How about the topic of hoh people's place in Deaf culture? For too long, Deaf has been contructed to mean severe/profound deaf. You could argue that hoh people have a place in Deaf culture as well.

How about the Deaf Culture in differences class of people .
I find this guy youtube ,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBQw-uZ8Rk]YouTube - ‪Deaf Trash?‬‏[/ame]

that is interesting I am surprised I am new learn it!

Subcultures in deaf culture based on what criteria?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Subcultures in deaf culture based on what criteria?

Signing deaf people who believe/practice in a subculture

I was living in Deaf skinhead/wn world for while. Ended badly but was great while it lasted

With their approval/help(as well as from the tutor) I wrote a great essay(but that wasn't why I was living in that world)

how about Deaf Taxi drivers, Deaf Chefs, Deaf lawyers (and no, not the bloody HOH types i mean REAL D>E>A>F kinds) or even Deaf Geologist (are there any?) go on make an essay to explore about 'where the hells the REAL Deaf success in REAL world"...mechanics I mean the Full deaf, not some 'was hearing before gone deaf but have some hearing 'understanding' grrr those type really makes me angry...

explore, try say, fax, email (blind stab 6 states' get some info on existence of Real Deaf full ASL user doing Real jobs , by that NOT BLOODY MANUAL jobs (ok taxis is but as far as communications goes, its practically a "HEARING ONLY" jobs...
that's it !!
ESSAY TOPIC like this

DEAF PEOPLE DOING HEARING-ONLY JOBS, An exploration, does it exist and how far do we have to go to realise Deaf people have Full access to full range of occupations"
or make it simplier like
ARE THERE Deaf people doing Hearing-PEOPLE-Only Jobs? - An exploration.
that way you can get away with many 'inaccessible facts' but make it interesting , try get as much as you can and do best with info you have as got and make a good job

just my wasted 2 cents

Inmate23: I believe there is/were deaf skinheads in VampireFreaks.Com. A group I still belong. Retired deaf goth! Same user name as here.

how about Deaf Taxi drivers, Deaf Chefs, Deaf lawyers (and no, not the bloody HOH types i mean REAL D>E>A>F kinds) or even Deaf Geologist (are there any?) go on make an essay to explore about 'where the hells the REAL Deaf success in REAL world"...mechanics I mean the Full deaf, not some 'was hearing before gone deaf but have some hearing 'understanding' grrr those type really makes me angry...

explore, try say, fax, email (blind stab 6 states' get some info on existence of Real Deaf full ASL user doing Real jobs , by that NOT BLOODY MANUAL jobs (ok taxis is but as far as communications goes, its practically a "HEARING ONLY" jobs...
that's it !!
ESSAY TOPIC like this

DEAF PEOPLE DOING HEARING-ONLY JOBS, An exploration, does it exist and how far do we have to go to realise Deaf people have Full access to full range of occupations"
or make it simplier like
ARE THERE Deaf people doing Hearing-PEOPLE-Only Jobs? - An exploration.
that way you can get away with many 'inaccessible facts' but make it interesting , try get as much as you can and do best with info you have as got and make a good job

just my wasted 2 cents

Real Deaf Geologist - Check
Real Deaf Chemist - Check
Real Deaf Rocket Scientist (And he heads a crew of engineers that builds rockets at SpaceX) - Check
Real Deaf Chef - Plenty of them

Real Deaf Geologist - Check
Real Deaf Chemist - Check
Real Deaf Rocket Scientist (And he heads a crew of engineers that builds rockets at SpaceX) - Check
Real Deaf Chef - Plenty of them

they not late deafened? check mean 'yes - it exist"? if so, then wow but they are still rare Deaf individuals, no?

they not late deafened? check mean 'yes - it exist"? if so, then wow but they are still rare Deaf individuals, no?

The guy for SpaceX is Deaf of Deaf :) He also made the ringer for the Sorenson VP.

The above list is a list of my personal friends. Legit. Much more to it too.

Back