Deaf professionals and guided tours for the deaf visitors : questions

Marionduins

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

My name is Marion, I study in a university in Paris, France, in my 2nd year of master’s program in cultural accessibility for persons with disabilities. I chose this Master’s degree because I want to be Responsible for visitors with disabilities, in museums.

I am posting this message because I need your help for my personal research (It will not take long, I promise!).

1) What do you call the deaf professionals who lead guided tours for the deaf visitors? (in museum, theater, festivals…)? For example, you say: “museum guides training course for the deaf”? or "Deaf lecturer”? or “Deaf cultural guide” ? or other?

2) Do Cultural organization (museum, festival, theater…) prefer interpreters (in sign language) or deaf guides (in sign language) to lead guided tours for the deaf visitors?

3) Why?

Thank you so much to help me!

Marion.

These are just my own opinions. Others may have a different view.

I think the hearing and Deaf titles should be the same with the exception of prefixing with "Deaf". If the hearing staff are called "tour guides" then the Deaf staff should be called "Deaf tour guides." If the the hearing lecturers are called "lecturer" then the Deaf lecturers should be called "Deaf lecturer." The prefix of "Deaf" should be only be there to make it easier for people looking for sign language tours to find the one to attend. Hearing and Deaf staff/lecturers should be presented as being equal with equal titles.

As a visitor, I prefer the direct communiction with a fluent signer (hearing or Deaf) as the presentor rather than information relayed through an interpreter. An interpreter is better than just receiving a transcription or guide book.

Keep in mind that not all deaf visitors will be signers. An interpreter or signing Deaf guide will not be helpful for a non-signing deaf visitor.

Back