Deaf people: your experiences when sleeping on interpreters: surreal?

RedFox

Reaction score
The other thread about what interpreters find annoying about their clients reminded me of when I've fallen asleep on interpreters in class. So here's the view from the other end. :D

One time in 7th grade math class, I was glazing over as usual without really sleeping because that was how I paid attention in class. That day, my regular interpreter was out and they called in someone who knew a bit of sign. When he saw me sitting still with glazed eyes, he got mad and told me that I was wasting his time by sleeping on him. Of course, I wasn't really sleeping because I felt so insulted and sobbed for the next hour or so. Because of that, they moved me to the resource room and tried to show me how to breathe to calm me down. They even called my mom in from another school where she interpreted for someone else. The lousy signer never came back.

In university, I'd often be sleepy in some classes due to not getting enough sleep. So I'd see weird things happen. Many times, I'd see the interpreter change appearance in some way, like by turning into a monster. Then I'd get surprised or scared and wake up. The first time it happened, I stared for what seemed like several seconds before the interpreter looked normal again. Other times, it'd happen for a second and then return to normal. It seems to happen when my mind interprets facial features like chins or beards as a mouth or a part the mouth, making the faces look unnatural.

I'd also see the interpreters' and lecturers' hair change colors to red and blue. I even saw an interpreter's face turn to stone once. :shock: Another time, I saw everything lose color and turn black and white for a moment. Sometimes, I'd see a moving point of red light, as if someone was using a laser pointer in the back of the room. Other times, I'd see a mess of colored intersecting lines fill my vision. I've also seen everything fog up in white fog.

I also remember seeing an interpreter signing, but part of my brain must've been shut down because I recognized it as signing, but couldn't understand what it meant. :eek3: I'd also catch interpreters telling me that they're stopping signing or just stopping because they thought I was sleeping, but enough of my mind was shut down to keep me from telling them that I saw them stop.

I've been woken up sometimes by an interpreter because I was snoring in class and the professor noticed. :lol:

Had anyone else experienced surreal things like this?

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the rude signer who got mad at you. That's completely inappropriate. If a student wants to sleep in class, that is their right!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the rude signer who got mad at you. That's completely inappropriate. If a student wants to sleep in class, that is their right!
Yep.

If a student wants to sleep in class, that is their right!

Honestly, I think it's rude to sleep in a classroom when it's in a session, no matter what.

The teacher or professor should wake up the student, not the interpreter.

Oh I agree with you that it is rude. But hearing students get to sleep in class (if they choose to) so deaf students should too. They are BOTH being rude. There is no difference between hearing and deaf kids sleeping in class just because there is an interpreter there.

Oh I agree with you that it is rude. But hearing students get to sleep in class (if they choose to) so deaf students should too. They are BOTH being rude. There is no difference between hearing and deaf kids sleeping in class just because there is an interpreter there.

I know what you mean. I was in college, I often see students sleeping during lectures and such.

What it means is that they don't get enough sleep if they can't stay awake during a lecture even if it's boring.

I know what you mean. I was in college, I often see students sleeping during lectures and such.

What it means is that they don't get enough sleep if they can't stay awake during a lecture even if it's boring.
That is the classic problem for college students:

PICK ONLY TWO
(1) Good grades
(2) Fun social life
(3) Enough sleep

I'd also see the interpreters' and lecturers' hair change colors to red and blue. I even saw an interpreter's face turn to stone once. :shock: Another time, I saw everything lose color and turn black and white for a moment. Sometimes, I'd see a moving point of red light, as if someone was using a laser pointer in the back of the room. Other times, I'd see a mess of colored intersecting lines fill my vision. I've also seen everything fog up in white fog.
I have seen weird things like colors changing. I think it is from staring at one place way too long.
I've been woken up sometimes by an interpreter because I was snoring in class and the professor noticed. :lol:
I had almost fallen asleep and I was the only deaf in that class. The interpreter woke me up by exaggerating his signs quite suddenly.

My interpreter commented that 25% of the students in my English lecture sleep through it. I thought that was funny. I have a hard time staying awake in that class too, I found that if I focus on each individual sign, rather than the whole sentence I stay awake. Or if I look for subtle things and break it all apart that helps too. Though I dont catch half of the lecture that way still...but I look engaged!

My interpreter commented that 25% of the students in my English lecture sleep through it. I thought that was funny. I have a hard time staying awake in that class too, I found that if I focus on each individual sign, rather than the whole sentence I stay awake. Or if I look for subtle things and break it all apart that helps too. Though I dont catch half of the lecture that way still...but I look engaged!

That is the classic problem for college students:

PICK ONLY TWO
(1) Good grades
(2) Fun social life
(3) Enough sleep

The one and only time I fell asleep on my tactile interpreter was after spending an entire night studying for an exam. Tactile sign is physically demanding, so you can imagine how tired I really was. :zzz:

Back