Kids get CI??

• Yes. why not

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
There is too many fucked up teenagers without CI, too.

How do you know specifically those are fucked up due to CI?

Fuzzy

conversely, how do you know there aren't any kids fucked up by CIs?

Really...
So, a deaf child should just go through the same shit as you went through...

You seem to think that functional HOHingness is something new. It's NOT. You honestly think that speech skills will completely and totally equlize a dhh kid. Yes, oral skills are easier to aquire then when there were earhorns. But, there have ALWAYS been deaf kids who are functionally HOH with and without CIs and HAs. What makes you think that the CI is going to overcome the inequalities of being HOH? CI kids are HOH....There are audilogically HOH kids here who can hear without hearing aids, who are saying that oral only is not exactly all its cracked up to be. I think that says something.

Really...
So, a deaf child should just go through the same shit as you went through...

We have been through this shit too many times over the years, Cloggy.

I have seen this kind a response from any number of people here about different issues without them going on and saying what the point that was missed actually is. How are they to do anything about the point missed if they did miss it and thus don't know what it is?

Tried to explain our point of views to him so many times over the years. Didn't work so I seriously doubt it will work this time based on history. I just cant do this beating the dead horse again.

If you want to know what the issue is, I can explain. Jut let me know. :)

That's just the point - I don't know that, that's why I don't come here and don't say that.
Do you know? If yes, how do you know that?

Have you conducted a trough double blind studies that excluded any other possible circumstances that could have contributed to being "fucked up"
beside
being implanted as the only reason of the "fuck up"?

Fuzzy

whatever you say. you clearly know what's best for a deaf person more than deaf people do. how silly of me to ever doubt that.

if i had a deaf child, i would let her play and sign and be with others like herself.
Whatever you say.
And how would she - the deaf child - acquire speech?

They should not have to go through the same shit at all. that's the point. you seem to think the solution to all deaf children's woes is to simply implant them, problem solved.
Not at all...
Still.. With good speech being important, and a child not able to hear... How are you going to solve that problem?

CI doesn't fuck up anything.
CI only promises to give you sound. It doesn't promise being able to listen or speak. That is something you have to do yourself.

If a mother would say "I'll just get it for my kid." then there's already something fucked up before CI even gets in the picture.. Any failure for the kid to succeed with CI is not nessesarily due to the CI..

They tell parents, and I hope also teenagers, that CI is 10% of the task. You need to do the other 90%.

So, even though there are people that have no benefit with CI, the "fucked up" part is not likely to be the device itself...

But its easy to blame...

We have been through this shit too many times over the years, Cloggy.
Yes... And it seems that the solution here is to let the child grow up deaf, learn sign. have a Deaf identity.
So how about speech?
Wasn't it very important to have excellent speech.?
You worked very, very hard for it.
DeafCaroline expressed what it is like without excellent speech..

So.. How will you solve that?

Yes... And it seems that the solution here is to let the child grow up deaf, learn sign. have a Deaf identity.
So how about speech?
Wasn't it very important to have excellent speech.?
You worked very, very hard for it.
DeafCaroline expressed what it is like without excellent speech..

So.. How will you solve that?

You can't be that dense. You really think it's that important for a deaf person to speak? It was important when we were growing up as solotaires, wanting to fit into the hearing world so badly so we wouldn't be ostracized anymore. Now that we're adults and have accepted ourselves as Deaf, not hearing wanna-be's, we've realized having speech just isn't that important. It really isn't. Only hearing people think it's mandatory because they use their vocal cords to express themselves. We know better, we know there are many different ways to express oneselves that is not at all dependent on having a set of vocal cords.

Open your mind Cloggy. It won't hurt.

Whatever you say.
And how would she - the deaf child - acquire speech?

Not at all...
Still.. With good speech being important, and a child not able to hear... How are you going to solve that problem?

Having speech at all is not important.

That's just the point - I don't know that, that's why I don't come here and don't say that.
Do you know? If yes, how do you know that?

Have you conducted a trough double blind studies that excluded any other possible circumstances that could have contributed to being "fucked up"
beside
being implanted as the only reason of the "fuck up"?

Fuzzy

Have you?

By comparing those who have and not.

How many have you observed? Did you communicate with that person to find out why they were so messed up? How do you know that it was the CI that caused their dysfunctional, and, not just normal teenage crap that ALL of us go through?

Just so you know, I'm NOT an extremist. I believe that implantation should NOT be done on all ALL children, but, it seems that we've come up against some VERY anti ci viewpoints. Extremes in any direction aren't good for anyone!

Last edited:
Mom and Dad said I had a great childhood, was well-adjusted, bright, had friends, and was generally happy. Funny...I don't remember it that way at all. I was a good at pleasing them, which morphed me into being a co-dependent who would do anything to keep others happy. Smile, nod, pretend you understand. Many deaf people are great at parroting so they can mainstreamed with the people around them. And it comes with a big cost.

How many times did I say YES when someone asked me if I understood, to avoid embarassment, to avoid them saying the same thing the exact same way, except yelling, or for them to say, Oh, never mind...it was not important.

Yes, I understand. Yes, I am happy. Yes, I am hearing like you.

Same me too. I fooled my parents far too well now they refused to believe me when I tell them truth. Deaf kids can be brilliant covering up and acting cos it part of surviving in hearing world and mainstream. If parent say to me my deaf child is happy, etc, I don't take their word for it cos I know they can be fooled easily.

How many have you observed? Did you communicate with that person to find out why they were so messed? How do you know that it was the CI that caused their dysfunctional, and, not just normal teenage crap that ALL of us go through?

Just so you know, I'm NOT an extremist. I believe that implantation should NOT be done on all ALL children, but, it seems that we've come up against some VERY anti ci viewpoints. Extremes in any direction aren't good for anyone!

You deaf? Grew up deaf? Wore hearing aids? Got implanted with a CI? parent of a deaf child?

Back