Deaf opinion of hearing learning to sign?

Katherine

Reaction score
Hello! I really want to learn to sign so badly so that I can communicate with some deaf people in our church. There are a few others in the church that sign but most don't of course.

I went up to them once out of the blue to meet them. They seemed very nice. I fortunately knew just enough to ask "how are you?" answer "fine" and ask their names and sign mine. They signed their names nice and slow for me.

I saw them again last Sunday and wanted to go talk to them (as best I could) but they were talking with another family that knows way more ASL than me.

I just wonder if they would probably appreciate someone like me who wants to get to know them and be friendly or if they would be more annoyed because I don't know hardly any signs (although I am studying and learning more each week).

What do you think? Would you be annoyed by an ignorant hearing person trying to sign to you or would you be happy for it? Should I get way better at signing before I take up their time?

Thanks!

Personally if it were me, I'd give you serious mad props.

I know whenever I see a person at a deaf event come solo, I'm so impressed I like to buy them a beer, coffee, or whatever is situationally available. Even if they come in a pair and are just barely learning, it still takes guts.

I can't speak for the folks at your church, especially since deaf people are just as diverse as hearing folks (you have the nice people and the cantankerous farts all the same).

But you already earned points with me. So I guess that means: *buys you an e-coffee* ;)

Hello! I really want to learn to sign so badly so that I can communicate with some deaf people in our church. There are a few others in the church that sign but most don't of course.

I went up to them once out of the blue to meet them. They seemed very nice. I fortunately knew just enough to ask "how are you?" answer "fine" and ask their names and sign mine. They signed their names nice and slow for me.

I saw them again last Sunday and wanted to go talk to them (as best I could) but they were talking with another family that knows way more ASL than me.

I just wonder if they would probably appreciate someone like me who wants to get to know them and be friendly or if they would be more annoyed because I don't know hardly any signs (although I am studying and learning more each week).

What do you think? Would you be annoyed by an ignorant hearing person trying to sign to you or would you be happy for it? Should I get way better at signing before I take up their time?

Thanks!

From what Ive learned about most deaf people is that they appreciate the a hearing person would learn to sign, but I can't speak for everyone. I think its a great idea for you to learn I did due to a similar situation, I both enjoyed it and have enjoyed getting to know the deaf friends that I have. :lol:

Yeah, it'll be cool if you learn signs. Be self-confident and comfortably fluent. Be multicultural as well as multilingual. Remember there are always snowflakes and assholes in every society that come in all sizes. Have you read literature/looked at art related to ASL and the Culture yet? They are a great way of understanding different perspectives and experiences.

I'm always interested in playdates if our kids are similar in ages and I think that's a great way of meeting other parents on an individual basis. The signing would be a bonus for me in that type of activity. I'm a MOP.

Back