Deaf on ssdi

Opywang

Reaction score
Hello there I need some help I'm on SSDI, and I am unable to get food stamp, and I am self sufficent, and can't get any help, but what I get from SSDI.

I'm trying to make my life easier can anybody help me figure out how I can have an easier life?

Most place charge 30% of your income, and I make 1,250 a month, and 30% would be over 300 dollars.

Most place are already at 300, and it is better than what most housing authorizing have, and it is more private at the same price.

I'm having to pay for my truck which is 240 a month included insurance, and I'm struggling month to month if anybody have any suggestion how I can have some release, or have some burden off from my shoulder so I can live more independently then please share with me.

i never like to get SSDI because i can work. i used to get benefit from Social Security and i never used the checks to pay out. Lucky me that i don't owe back and not dumbfounded about it to pay back what i owed... Good luck if you spend the SSDI money and they will ask you to pay back. Not Worth it.

i had too many accidents and been in rehabilitation. i get the benefits and i refused to use it.

I appreciate that y'all are trying to encourage me to drop the benefits, but I rather keep them, and thank you.

We'll if anybody is on a benefits that has figure out how to have more independent in life I am willing to hear you out, and please share with me so I can go get help to improve my life style.

There is something called Hud, and I heard about it from many deaf community, but I couldn't figure it out maybe somebody can tell me something about that, and can give me a starting point so I can go check it out.

i never live in HUD. i rented the apartment with my salary and later i bought a condo to be my own from my pocket. (obiviously i worked hard to earned)

LOL... I was only asking other that are on benefits, and thanks for showing off that you're not on benefits.

There is something called Hud, and I heard about it from many deaf community, but I couldn't figure it out maybe somebody can tell me something about that, and can give me a starting point so I can go check it out.

HUD means Honest U Disqualify.

People are trying to find a way to suck taxpayers money to make a easy living. I hope Trump cut SSDI soon.

Find a job!

@Opywang
What kind of disabilities you have?(Please don't call deafness disability, because it is not).
Did you get disability from accident? Got paralyzed? Lost hands, legs?
Trucks are expensive and gas consuming, do you do any kind of jobs on it? I don't see any point in owning a track, and not needing it for any work purposes.

I'm struggling month to month if anybody have any suggestion how I can have some release, or have some burden off from my shoulder so I can live more independently then please share with me.
Job really helps burden off. Tried to find few more jobs?
What can you do? What did you do before?

The problem is that with any kind of public charge you become less independent, and the life is less easier. You lose your skills if you don't use them.
How do you make living with 1,250 a month? Do you live with roommates?

Last edited:
HUD means Honest U Disqualify.

People are trying to find a way to suck taxpayers money to make a easy living. I hope Trump cut SSDI soon.

Find a job!

Wow....there are people who are unable to work due to health, multiple disabilities, and etc. That's horrible that you wish for something like that. Also, if many hearing people in the rural areas struggle to find jobs, I can imagine it is probably impossible for deaf people especially who have been victims of poor education and have poor English skills.

In answer to the OP's questions...I am not familiar with food stamps but I suggest you contact your nearest vocational rehabilition center for more assistance.

.there are people who are unable to work due to health, multiple disabilities, and etc
Exactly.
He might also have severe injuries, that he didn't mention.
I've seen a woman, she is losing her hearing, got epilepsy, and struggle with movements after a single car accident.

I don't think he gets public assistance based only on deafness. I think he has something else, that qualifies him.

If he lives alone, and doesn't have dependents he won't qualify even for food stamps(if only the reason is deafness).
I have 2 dependents, and in order to qualify, our income must be below $2100. Which is not possible to make living here.
Apartments in our area easily cost way more, like $2600 per month and above. We moved here, indeed because I(deaf person) struggled with jobs, too.

People with poor education, and poor English skills can find jobs too. My husband doesn't speak English yet, and his past education has nothing to do with in the U.S.
When we arrived to the U.S(5 years ago) he took all possible kinds of jobs - night caregiving, moving, helping to fix air conditions and freezers(this job he did for tips only in exchange for training). He now works as a manager at the local wholesale warehouse and makes some sufficient income at one job. He still struggles with English.
I also did babysitting, caregiving, cleaning jobs, and worked for free at the startup companies in exchange for U.S experience, to earn good reputation among tech, build a solid resume, and references.
So, we both been quite busy these years. Our children were too small for school, and we couldn't afford childcare back then. Things are getting much better for us though, I find life in the U.S much easier than a life in a third world country, where deaf people and people with disabilities don't get even minimum accommodations.(for example if you are on wheelchair, you won't even find accessible transport).
I cried when I entered to the local community college and they provided me with CART accommodations. I cried at my counselor's office, because I could not believe that such technologies are available. I finished the public school, and the university in my country without any kind of help. When everyone had free afternoons, I was sitting library/home and self-studying most of the time, because I wasted time at school, not hearing, and not being able to participate and understand a thing.
I can see there a lot of opportunities in the U.S, I think everyone(who isn't struggling with severe disability) can get them. Deafness is not a disability in this case.

Also, I forgot to mention - there are plenty free online, captioned educational resources, that can prepare anyone for a nice career. Besides the college, I've been actively taking free online courses on Coursera(auditing is free), Udacity, Cybrary and other online resources.

Last edited:
Wow....there are people who are unable to work due to health, multiple disabilities, and etc. That's horrible that you wish for something like that. Also, if many hearing people in the rural areas struggle to find jobs, I can imagine it is probably impossible for deaf people especially who have been victims of poor education and have poor English skills.

I would recommend you to travel to Holland, Japan, Poland and many other countries where they do not have SSDI. They work, and find a way to get a living.
There are many deaf-blind employers work for US government. Many multiple disabilities individuals have jobs. Please prove me that I'm wrong.

Based on my observation, wang is able to type English fluently on AllDeaf, and I am sure Wang is able to find a writing report, newspaper, social media jobs to pay expensive bills instead of relying on HUD, SSDI, etc. to suck taxpayers money.

Get my drift?

shel90, I am curious what do you think what will happen when our President decided to cut SSDI?

So even the so severely disabled who likely would never be able to work shouldn't have SSI or SSDI. Believe me I am sure there are MANY SSI/SSDI recipients who would rather not have it but due to many factors including biases in the hiring process it's not as easy as you say it is. What do these countries do? I know that the UK has something similar to SSDI. I have at least one friend who has had to stop work due to disabilities that she ended up with late in life. She has always worked...tried to work in the beginnings of her disability but could not. She would much rather be working but either they ain't hiring or the job stress would likely make her disability worse.

This thread took a hard right so I'm stepping off. So much for friendly help and advice for the OP.

But then again... opinions are like assholes.. everyone has one whether we agree or not.

Back