*Deaf* Mother, Son Sentenced In Net Fraud

e

Reaction score
May 23, 2003

Clutching her son's hand through much of their sentencing proceeding yesterday, convicted swindler Gilda Seifried begged not be sent to jail.

"Please don't separate us," the 65-year-old Seifried said. "I love him very much. He's the only friend I have. ... Please give us another chance."

Her son, Abraham Posner, 30, convicted with her in the same Internet fraud, likewise asked for leniency, saying, "I want to apologize for what I did."

Their voices could not be heard in the courtroom, because mother and son both have been profoundly deaf since birth. Their signing was being interpreted in U.S. District Court in Central Islip.

Although the two admitted to defrauding 119 people over the Internet, many of them low-income or retired, they asked that they not have to serve any jail time because their disability would leave them open to mistreatment or abuse in a prison.

Seifried's attorney, federal public defender Randi Chavis, and Posner's attorney, Richard Haley of Hauppauge, suggested that because of their clients' deafness and contrition it would be appropriate to sentence them to home detention or community service.

A federal prosecutor, however, argued the two should not be treated differently because of their handicap and should receive 12 to 18 months in prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Wayne Baker was joined by victims who wrote asking for the maximum sentence for the pair who were paid for merchandise that was never received. Among the victims who lost a total of more than $100,000 were a retired grandmother who used her limited income to pay for a computer so she could easily communicate with her grandchildren, and a man who said his fiancee broke off their engagement when she did not get the diamond ring he had promised.

"By using their handicap as a shield to avoid punishment, the defendants demean the efforts of all handicapped individuals to be treated as equals," Baker wrote in court papers. "Their deafness did not stop the defendants from committing fraud."

Calling it "one of the more difficult sentencings I have had," U.S. District Judge Leonard Wexler sentenced the two to 3 months each in prison and 3 years of supervised release, and ordered them to repay the victims.

"I'm very sympathetic to the plight they face in jail," Wexler said, explaining why he was not giving the mother and son the longer sentence their crimes normally call for. But he also said the two had "set up a business of stealing ... and the public must know we will not tolerate this." Wexler said prison officials and probation officers told him the federal prison system has facilities for deaf inmates.

The mother and son were arrested by federal postal inspectors last year for mail fraud and conspiracy after they had operated their swindle for a year out of a room at the Marriott Hotel in Melville, according to court records.

The two installed computers and TDD/TTY telephone services that allow deaf people to communicate over telephone lines. They then advertised what appeared to be bargain merchandise over eBay and Yahoo, collected the money but never sent any merchandise.

Seifried, Posner, their attorneys and Baker all declined to comment after the sentencing.

For you who wish to view a picture of them, click here:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/l...ay23,0,3565450.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

My comment: I know them and they finally deserve to go to jail this time. That's it and no further comment.

:shock: Well it doesn't matter if they are deaf or not...what they did was WRONG by scamming ppl, rip them off, stole their money. They KNEW its wrong but they did it anyway. I'm sick tired of hearing deafies use "deafness" as an excuse to look for pity and hoping they'd let them go or whatever. :mad2:

"Although the two admitted to defrauding 119 people over the Internet"

:eek: thats lot!

"they asked that they not have to serve any jail time because their disability would leave them open to mistreatment or abuse in a prison"

TOO FUCKING BAD! They should have thought about it first before doing it to scam people. I don't care if they are deaf or not, period!

"home detention or community service"

Like its good idea to give them light sentence that they scammed 119 people over internet...:nono: They should be in prison to learn their damn lesson!

"A federal prosecutor, however, argued the two should not be treated differently because of their handicap and should receive 12 to 18 months in prison"

I agree!

"By using their handicap as a shield to avoid punishment, the defendants demean the efforts of all handicapped individuals to be treated as equals," Baker wrote in court papers. "Their deafness did not stop the defendants from committing fraud."

:werd:

Im ticked off reading this nonsense that they are screaming for help and not want to go prison -- TOO FUCKING BAD! They should have thought about it, if they don't want to do their time then don't do it but they did it anyway. They have to do their time.

*shrugs* :roll:

Damn....Thx goodness I dont do fraud shit like that

Let em rot in the Club Fed

Fuck 'em! They deserved it! Let them rot in jail! No deafie should use his or her deafness as an advantage over things! :fu2:

i totally agree with them they deserve time in jail! they were wrong to do this kind of shit and say poor me im deaf please don't hurt me thats a LOAD OF BS ! they knew what they did was wrong! thier outta out community RME

There are a few more of these that have recently came to my attention... yeah... some Deaf like to think that they can get away from it in terms of "Deaf School Mentality".

:eek: they can't expect everyone to give them pity cuz they are just deaf? then they are really belong to a mental hospital for doin that stupid thing.. :roll:

It's not just a disgrace to deaf. It is a disgrace to adult. They should take responsiblity for their own actions!

Too bad for them, they can't use their deafness as an excuse not to serve time in jail.. they have to get the same punishment as everyone else..they need to suffer the consequenses, period. :squint:

Originally posted by Teekie
Too bad for them, they can't use their deafness as an excuse not to serve time in jail.. they have to get the same punishment as everyone else..they need to suffer the consequenses, period. :squint:

:werd:

I know them since I was a kid. It's about time that they are being separatedly!! Mom and son are so INSEPARATED for many years.

They are very smart but what they are doing sooooo SICK! They ve been committed so illegally all the time for a long time. It's about time for them but a few months for them to be in jails.. Oh well

They ve done more than what newspaper said.. i ve been witnessed what they were doing. I knwo most of us who know them and dont report to cops or whatever because we don't want to be near them ever again.

I don't feel sorry for them at all! They deserves it for what they have done it to my friends who lose lots of $$ from them.

theyre definately idiotic and should be thrown in jail and i DONT care if theyre deaf or not -- theyre a disgrace!

Originally posted by Apocalypse
If you can't do the time, don't commit a crime..

uhhh Apocalypse -- shouldnt use "can't" -- i think should say "if you DON'T want to do the time, don't commit a crime"

and yes i agree -- if a person doesnt wanna be locked up for a crime then simply dont do it

Back