Deaf man wants sign language interpreter at nudist camp in Cayuga County

Are interpretors allowed to "pick and choose"?
That's one of those "it depends" questions.

First of all, there are different kinds of interpreters in the decision making process. Private practice/freelance interpreters and those who work for agencies.

Private practice terps make their own assignment decisions. Even then, if the private terp has a contract with a client, then that contract must be fulfilled.

Terps working for agencies often are bound by whatever their contract calls for. Some agencies allow a terp to turn down a maximum number of assignments per year (say, three) for whatever reasons. Then, the agency itself can also turn down assignments from clients for whatever reasons they so choose.

Of course, the terps and agencies that turn down the least potential work get more work in the long run, so it behooves them to not turn down many assignments. The most common reason for turning down assignments is unavailability of terps. Sometimes there just aren't enough terps to go around at that time.

...If one was called to interpret at this Nudist Camp, and did not want or refused to go...what's gonna happen there? Of course, they could "fib" and make an excuse....
There's no need to "fib" (lie) or make up excuses. One can be truthful without elaborating.

Same as for religious ceremonies...do they call an interpretor of the same Faith?....Even protest rallies (if the Interpretor does not agree with what they are protesting, and feels it might become violent)?....refuses to go?

Personally, I'm not about seeing nudie people at a beach or a ceremony or whatever. I'm not an interpretor, but what are their rights? I know we deafies have a right to a interpretor...but what about the Interpretor's rights too?
As far as legal rights, the ADA is specific about the circumstances for which a terp must be provided. It covers most areas but there are still some areas for which a business or group may be exempt. Some exemptions are the size of the organization, or religious organizations.

Certified terps also have some protection under the RID code. (Please see the link I posted.)

Also, there are specialized fields of interpreting that even generally certified terps aren't qualified to do. Even if they are legally allowed to do that kind of interpreting, professional terps know their limitations and will turn down work for which they aren't qualified.

That can be a sticky thing ethically. But also, would a terp that does not want to be there be doing the best job possible for the client?
Good question. Even if the terp wants to do his or her best, there are human factors that might interfere with their performance.

I don't see how it can be ethically sticky. Suppose an interpreter was requested at a KKK rally?
Honestly, the KKK would care about the rights of deaf people? :lol:

I get your point though. :)

...So, yeah...I have the right to refuse but I also have the obligation to insure that the client is provided for.
That's pretty much the bottom line. If I can't fulfill a requested assignment for any reason, I try to put the potential client in touch with someone who can. That includes conflict of interest, conflict of schedules, health, specialty required, etc.

Be careful with where this is going. The law is now stated that those who work in a Pharmancy can not refuse to dispend birth control just because of their beliefs.
If that be the case, how could a terp refuse an assignment based on belief?
The law under which pharmacies operate is not the same law under which interpreters work.

The interpreter has a right to not feel uncomfortable or harassed. Interpreting at a nude event could absolutely create either feeling for an individual. The nudist colony, and even the deaf man, could be facing a much stickier lawsuit if that were to occur.

I say the deaf man is entitled to an interpreter, but if a certified interpreter who is completely okay with the situation cannot be found, the nudist group should be released from that responsibility.
As long as the terp remains clothed, I'll bet they could find a terp willing to do it. You'd be surprised how well we can focus when working. :)

It's more a problem of finding one on short notice.

I would certainly agree with that. I'm just wondering if the terp training programs are teaching objectivity so that their personal views don't limit the assignments they take. For instance, a terp that is asked to terp court proceeding for a child molestation case.

I think this brings up some areas that may need to be discussed.
ITP's teach that terps must not let their personal views intrude on their assignments. That means, there are times when a terp should turn down an assignment because he or she knows that it won't be possible to remain objective or be untouched by the proceedings.

thats the thing with fucken interpreters they are controlled by Hearing, they do really have real respect for d/Deaf, only MONEY, assholes!,
Most of the terps I know not only have real respect for d/Deaf but they also actively advocate for better services for the d/Deaf community.

i truely think Interpreters boards SHOULD HAVE 50/50 Hearing and Deaf OR at least an agreed co-operation with a 100% board of Deaf people who are deemed to represent and know Deaf matters and thus address this.
I'm not sure what you mean by interpreter boards. Do you mean RID and NAD certification boards?

Interpreter SHOULD NOT have last say where/when does it suits them on 'so called grounds of appropriateness or 'safety' for fucks sakes, what abou the safety of understand for a Deaf Nudist SO fucking WHAT if he or she is a Nudist SHOCKING?P! now there are hundred of thousands of not millions of Hearing Nudists worldwide , get the fucking over it, and start serving Deaf people properly.
Before you get too wound up about it, do you know of any instances where a terp has refused to serve a Deaf person at a nudist camp?

MORE the fucking reason there should be more understand of what is Deafhood, and thus we ought to take back Power that BELONGS to Deaf people, not fucking unscupulous fucking greedy Hearing interpreters, no excuses if they are Codas, fruits, or 'emotionally worn' they should have thought about it about it before hand, before start getting rude and arrogant , after all, ASL/BSL/any Sign languages BELONGS to Deaf FULL STOP. Stop FUcking with us!!!
Of course, terps would love to sit down and discuss their work ethics with people who are yelling at them, cursing them, and calling them unscrupulous, greedy, rude and arrogant. That always makes for better understanding. :roll:

GRRR now i just vents, i think id go out outside naked right now in protest, no wait, its winter, Id wait till Summer LOL
Go for it! :lol:

Thanks for the link. I was hoping you would pop in and comment on the ethics questions.
I really wanted to reply last night but we had a bad storm and no power for several hours last night. We had to take a detour to get home because downed trees block our road. It was a mess. I was doing a lot of outside clean up at our house and next door today. The neighbors two houses down had a huge limb pierce their roof, through the garage and bathroom.

The nicer you are with your interpreter, the lovelier the next will be. I had a real beauty of an interpreter yesterday and she told me heads up, my next one this Friday will be a fox. :)
Lucky you don't get the old biddies like me. :lol:

The nicer you are with your interpreter, the lovelier the next will be. I had a real beauty of an interpreter yesterday and she told me heads up, my next one this Friday will be a fox. :)

but an unobtainable fox :giggle:
because she's either gonna be married or gay :lol:

LOL, no
most interpreters are good, hell even some have confined to me that whose they work for or what arrange they are in sux, they AGREE its corrupted, and what? no im not crazy, the system is.
What "system?"

if you re-read and think about it carefully dont you agree interpreters should stop thinking they are god's gifts?
Which terps think that? Those that do have a wrong attitude, for sure.

how come is it Deaf people who teaches sign charge $80 for 10 weeks course (2 hrs , often 3 hrs) which amounts to Less than $8 an hour then a Hearing terp (who Learned signs from Deaf comes back and charge from the floor of $50an hour, sometimes higher than $100, even $200 an hour , so Tell me is this Right? whats more Hearing people have VAST More choices of lifestyles, occupation they so can choose...
It depends on where they're teaching ASL. If it's a community non-credit class, the instructors usually get paid less than college instructors because the organizations charge the students less than for-credit classes, regardless of who the teacher is.

Not all terps earn the high rates that you list. You also have to consider, even those who do earn high hourly rates, they don't usually get 40 hours of work every week. For private practice terps, some weeks there is NO work.

Most of the terps I know not only have real respect for d/Deaf but they also actively advocate for better services for the d/Deaf community.

Sadly, thats far from the truth Its rare to really see interpreters get involved, largely because they are bounded by 'professional ethics' anf/or are too tired, need life of their own, but they'd be quick to jump to attend conference on Terps professionalism ... see my point? there is a double standard there

I'm not sure what you mean by interpreter boards. Do you mean RID and NAD certification boards?

the lack of it, often the interpreters boards is dominated by hearing interpreters, mainly to oversee professional standards, by that 'standards' is THeir idea of barest 'standards' not levels of professionalism or services or innovation to empower d/Deaf, quite different really

Before you get too wound up about it, do you know of any instances where a terp has refused to serve a Deaf person at a nudist camp?ditto just read the article

Of course, terps would love to sit down and discuss their work ethics with people who are yelling at them, cursing them, and calling them unscrupulous, greedy, rude and arrogant. That always makes for better understanding. :roll:
only half of them, its more complex than it might appear, theres always room for untapped academic investigation right there, believe me. Only example I can think of right now would be *ahem* the debates about whether funeral directors takes advantages of the bereaved, i can see some similarities there, but right now I wish not to disclose the details of these matters, but believe me its real and it can be proven, or rather, can be debated extensively (give it time, Im only just catching up this)

Go for it! :lol:

no sure if im that brave LOL

I think it only SEEMS like interpreters charge more or a lot is usually because they work for an agency which means the terp his/herself doesn't get the amount per hour indicated......
Yep. When I worked for an agency, I got less than half what they charged the client.

I really wanted to reply last night but we had a bad storm and no power for several hours last night. We had to take a detour to get home because downed trees block our road. It was a mess. I was doing a lot of outside clean up at our house and next door today. The neighbors two houses down had a huge limb pierce their roof, through the garage and bathroom.

Wow! I'm glad you and hubby are okay. As long as it is only cleanup, you can be grateful.

Sadly, thats far from the truth Its rare to really see interpreters get involved, largely because they are bounded by 'professional ethics' anf/or are too tired, need life of their own, but they'd be quick to jump to attend conference on Terps professionalism ... see my point? there is a double standard there
It's not a double standard if the terps are attending conferences in order to improve the services that they can provide to the Deaf community. It's the terps who never attend conferences or workshops that you have to worry about.

the lack of it, often the interpreters boards is dominated by hearing interpreters, mainly to oversee professional standards, by that 'standards' is THeir idea of barest 'standards' not levels of professionalism or services or innovation to empower d/Deaf, quite different really
Do you know who is on those boards?

only half of them, its more complex than it might appear, theres always room for untapped academic investigation right there, believe me. Only example I can think of right now would be *ahem* the debates about whether funeral directors takes advantages of the bereaved, i can see some similarities there, but right now I wish not to disclose the details of these matters, but believe me its real and it can be proven, or rather, can be debated extensively (give it time, Im only just catching up this)
OK.

I don't think a code of ethics can be legally binding... can it?
When interpreters sign the agreement to follow the RID code of ethics as part of the requirement for certification, then it is legally binding. If a terp is proven to violate the code, that terp can lose certification.

Also, especially for the code of confidentiality, if a terp breaks that, the client agency may have legal recourse. For example, breaking privacy about a medical appointment that is under the HIPAA rules. Or breaking privacy of a lawyer-client meeting. Then, the business practices terp rules could be legally enforced if the terp is breaking laws relating to business law.

You might be interested in this:

RID - Enforcement Procedures

"When a respondent is found in violation, the interpreter
may receive one sanction or a combination of sanctions,
which may include the following:
✦ letter of censure
✦ corrective action(s)
✦ suspension of certification and/or suspension of
RID membership
✦ revocation of certification and RID membership

Any time a violation has been determined, regardless
of the sanction, the interpreter’s name and the violation
will be printed in VIEWS.

A decision letter will be sent to the interpreter, with a
copy sent to the complainant, detailing the violation
and the sanction imposed. For matters of suspension
or revocation, the Professional Standards Committee,
the Professional Development Committee, and the
Certification Council will be informed of the interpreter’s
name and sanction."

Wow! I'm glad you and hubby are okay. As long as it is only cleanup, you can be grateful.
:ty:

Yes. I still worry about all the trees towering over our house. Our house is about 20 ft. tall, and at least a dozen of our trees near the house are twice that height. Every time the wind blows hard, I go downstairs to wait it out. A little PTSD from Hurricane Hugo. (It did a lot of tree damage around here.) :|

Back