Deaf Man saved his mom from the blazing fire

RedWolf

Reaction score
Kent is my friend and I really knew him since he was a little kid in Manchester, NH. He did amazing job saving his whole family from the fire. I pray for his mom, hoping she get well soon. He should be a hero saving his mom, and should be honored. Here the article from Union Leader:

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports - Woman burned in morning blaze - Thursday, Oct. 1, 2009

MANCHESTER – A deaf man carried his infant daughter to safety this morning when a fire broke out in an Elmwood Gardens apartment and then ran back inside the burning building to pull out his disabled mother who was hooked up to an oxygen tank that exploded.

His mother, Marlen Clark, 57, is hospitalized at Brigham's and Women's Hospital in Boston. Family members say she suffered second and third degree burns to her face and arms -- about 20 percent of her body -- and is in critical condition. However, doctors have told them her injuries are recoverable.

Smoke alarms sounded when the blaze broke out about 4:30 a.m. at 57 Trahan St. Kent Clark, who is deaf and mute, and his fiancee, Crystal Torres, who is also hearing impaired, could not hear them.

Clark, with his cousins, Tina Gallagher of Weare and Penny Demiles, and friend Walter Buckley interpreting, said what woke him was the heavy smoke choking him.

Immediately realizing the danger, Clark woke Torres and grabbed their four-month-old daughter, Maliyah Jaylyn Clark, placing a blanket over her face to protect her from the smoke. All three ran outside.

However, his mother, who is disabled and on oxygen, was still in the burning home. Clark ran back inside where he found his mother unconscious, still connected to an oxygen tank that exploded. He disconnected the tank, grabbed his mother and then punched out a window to get both of them outside to safety.

Clark, who said he was "flying," tried a third time to go back into the building to rescue some birds but flames prevented him. The birds perished in the blaze.

He also tried to alert the upstairs neighbors to the fire but the family of Sadit Eusw had already been awakened by the smoke alarms. He and his wife, Bakhida Lado. gathered up their seven children and got everyone out. None of them was injured but their apartment is heavily damaged.

The Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority is relocating the large family to another unit and the Red Cross is assisting the fire victims.

Clark, Torres and the baby were all taken by ambulance to the Elliot Hospital to be checked out. Torres and the baby were fine but Clark's carbon monoxide levels were high from the smoke. He was kept at the hospital for four hours until they leveled off.

One firefighter also was cut and taken to the hospital where he had stitches to close the wound, according to Fire Chief James Burkush.

Burkush said the fire started in the living room where a mattress was destroyed and remnants of an oxygen generating system and three cylinders were found. Marlen Clark's bed was in the living room, her nieces said.

Gallagher and Demiles said a cigarette is believed to have started the fire. Burkush confirmed this afternoon that the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

They said Clark and Torres do not live at the apartment. They were there last night, visiting his mother and doing their laundry, when they fell asleep.

If not for that, they said, Marlen Clark would be dead.

Everything in the apartment was destroyed, including Clark and Torres' laundry. His concern, however, was for his mother and the family was headed to Boston to see how she is doing.

"I want someone to help my mom get a new apartment and everything please," he said before leaving.

Great story. Reverse his name and he is Superman.

But his mother ought to get some sort of treatment if she is hooked up to oxygen and still smoking.

But his mother ought to get some sort of treatment if she is hooked up to oxygen and still smoking.

I agree. I know one shouldn't smoke around an oxygen tank as it is flamable.

Yes he should be Superman if he had reversed his name. :D

Yes, I know his mother very much and she still a chain smoker. If she was on oxygen she should have stopped smoking. Oxygen is always flammable and it would have killed his mother if it had exploded.

I couldn't believe he such a brave man for saving his family and his girlfriend. You can noticed that he got ashes all over his face which it came from smoke and fire.

Right now he is getting a lot of attention in Manchester for his heroic acts.

Here another link and also you can view the video. I know it is not captioned but you can see his sign language:
http://www.wmur.com/news/21168875/detail.html#COMMENTTOP

No update with the mother yet. When I hear about the mother, I will keep you posted about how the mother is doing. I hope she recover and get well soon. My prayers goes out to my good friend Kent and his family.

Sorry I should have keep up with the postings here. I know it is old news, however, few months after he saved his mother, Kent Clark's mother had passed away unfortunately. Her body was 90 percent burned and did not survive.

Up until today, Kent Clark is in the hospital which he is in ICU. It is unknown what was happening to him. Please keep prayers for Kent and pray for his quick recovery.

Sorry I should have keep up with the postings here. I know it is old news, however, few months after he saved his mother, Kent Clark's mother had passed away unfortunately. Her body was 90 percent burned and did not survive.

Up until today, Kent Clark is in the hospital which he is in ICU. It is unknown what was happening to him. Please keep prayers for Kent and pray for his quick recovery.
Thank you for the update. Praying for him! <3

Recently, the same thing happened to a neighbor of mine. He was on oxygen and still smoked in bed. he was burned very badly, and died a few days later in the hospital.

Update from his aunt: Update on Kent: Friday 12/8/17. I want to begin this update with some feelings and thoughts. I am not normally a person who shares my most difficult family problems on facebook. Unfortunately and fortunately, facebook allows me to relate to the many people I need to reach in this situation. I realize that many people know and have loved Kent throughout his life, just as I have. I know that seeing someone that you love in his current condition is heartbreaking. I don't want to let him go! Then I speak to Medical Professionals who are caring for him and the reality of his condition is that OUR Kent is really already gone. I have heard from many people and have taken everyone's feelings into account and I am listening and understanding your feelings. My family, my sister, and I wrestle with what is the best thing to do for Kent. I KNOW in my heart and in my mind that Kent would not want to live this life. I have spoken to the nurse today and there is really no change since yesterday. We talked more about how Kent would be. They have him heavily sedated, but once a day they bring him out of sedation. When they do this, he starts having myoclonic seizures that become so violent they have to sedate him again. This is a sign of extensive brain damage. It also tells me that he would have to live the rest of his life in some degree of sedation. We also discussed what would happen if he were removed from life support breathing machine. She said that he would not be able to protect his airway. I didn't understand so I asked what she meant. He would aspirate or breathe in any kind of fluid including his own saliva and develop pneumonia. Many of you who know Kent know that he has been deaf since birth. So I think of him sedated, unable to hear loved ones, no cognition, no memories, and no hope for recovery. Who knows if he's in pain? It is tearing me apart. This is where we are at. Miracles happen but not everyone gets one. Do we wait for a miracle? We will see him and come to a decision. Just to let you know it's not so easy to let someone you love so much go.
Love you Kent, always will!
2764.png
<3
1f641.png

My post: I just found out how Kent got into coma. It was drug overdose which it is from the mixture of alcohol and painkillers. If any of you from American School for the Deaf (ASD) or Austine School for the Deaf, you may known him from school in the late 1990s (I am not sure when he goes there.) I will keep updated and will let you know with the new update. His aunt will be going Sunday and will discuss whether to pull the plug on life support from Kent. Please keep praying for him and his family. He is now in the hospital in Winchester, Virginia.

Last edited:
25130132_10214878617857435_372795401_o.jpg Kent was wearing white shirt on the left. That was me wearing New England Patriots hat.

OMG... I didn't know it was so severe. :( Prayers for him. I hope and pray that he can recover quickly, enough so that they see he's able to recover... My prayers go out to his family as well. I cannot imagine the pain they must feel right now. He's truly a hero.

With heavy heart to say this...Kent Clark passed away at 9:45pm tonight. Heavens just gained an angel. What I remembered about him, I watched him grow when he was little boy. His smile always capture everyone's heart. My friends watched him grow and taught him things by doing the right way. He even saved his own mother from the fire. He just like the Superman saved his mother. But his mother passed as well. Kent can finally join his mother in heavens. Kent, all of your deaf friends, and teachers from Green Acres School, Southside Jr. High, Memorial High, and few others who knew you from school from Manchester, NH, they truly miss you and love you. Until we meet again someday. Rest in peace, Kent.

With heavy heart to say this...Kent Clark passed away at 9:45pm tonight. Heavens just gained an angel. What I remembered about him, I watched him grow when he was little boy. His smile always capture everyone's heart. My friends watched him grow and taught him things by doing the right way. He even saved his own mother from the fire. He just like the Superman saved his mother. But his mother passed as well. Kent can finally join his mother in heavens. Kent, all of your deaf friends, and teachers from Green Acres School, Southside Jr. High, Memorial High, and few others who knew you from school from Manchester, NH, they truly miss you and love you. Until we meet again someday. Rest in peace, Kent.
I am so sorry for your loss! So sad!

That's so tragic, I'm so sorry for you and his family! My prayers are with them... He was truly a hero.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry for your loss. He sounded like a really brave person to go back in the fire for his mum.

Back